Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Neglected Rabbit! What do I do?!

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Nope. There digestive system can't handle it. It can give them bad diarrhea.

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
@Rabbit_Lover Thanks for the info! I didn't know that! Lol I have a lot to do today but I'm hoping to fit in time to either have her come over or walk down to her house (she's like 5 houses away). The thing I've never been able to understand is like why he has to be in the garage for one, and also why his cage is so small? They have a larger than average house and money, so they can definitely find a place for him not in the garage and in a bigger cage, they're just ignorant and choosing not to..

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Auto correct is such a wonderful invention.......

NOT!

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
Auto correct is such a wonderful invention.......

NOT!
I know, right!! And also just remembered, Oreo is a male Dutch rabbit with the typical black and white colouring where his face and butt is black and his middle is white and a white stripe on his face. He's so cute! I'm not sure, but I think he's around 3-5 lbs? I could be wrong though, I have no frame of reference.

Lishar

Cavy Slave
I just read through most of this...

That poor bunny! D:
I wish she would listen to you, she sounds a bit like my younger sister (Only 2 years younger) she almost never takes me seriously when I try and talk about serious things...

I really hope something works out for you and the bunny!

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
I just read through most of this...

That poor bunny! D:
I wish she would listen to you, she sounds a bit like my younger sister (Only 2 years younger) she almost never takes me seriously when I try and talk about serious things...

I really hope something works out for you and the bunny!
Thank you so much! I'm hoping to just have it go smoothly. Sit her down and have a serious, no bull-crap conversation, and have her really listen. Then offer the option of him staying at my house. I might even offer for him to "sleep-over" at my house for a night or 2 and see if she'd be okay with it then take it from there? You guys like that idea...?

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
I think the sleep-over idea is a good one. Once Oreo is out of her house she might decide she really doesn't want to care for him anymore. You know out of sight, out of mind. I've been following your story and I really hope Oreo becomes a member of your family. That poor bunny.
Thanks! I just thought of it. I'll invite her down to help me build the cage and stuff then he can come down and we'll go from there? Who knows? Maybe he won't fit in my house the way we though (hopefully not!!!) and then we would look for shelters? Hopefully it all works out!

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
She's at my house right now, being rough with my guineas.. I'm so nervous!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Poor guineas!
I hope it all goes well and your guineas don't get hurt by her. Best of luck. :)

Aleks

Cavy Slave
She's at my house right now, being rough with my guineas.. I'm so nervous!

Personally I wouldn't stand for that. I would tell her she's being too rough with them and show her the proper way to handle them.
They are your piggies, afterall. You have final say in what she can/can't do with them.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
If your worried bout her parents saying they paid for it offer a small rehoming fee

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
Having Oreo (he sounds gorgeous) for a sleep-over is a good idea. Once he's at your place you're in a better position to keep him there. Offer to pay for him - maybe a bit more than necessary? I know that would be a sacrifice of sorts for you, but it's worth it to keep him safe,& it means you're deadly serious about all this. From her parents' point of view the rabbit was a purchase, so make it a business offer by purchasing Oreo from them). Just do whatever you have to. I'm sure your Mum will support you.

Your friend has a lot of growing up to do; she just isn't mature enough to keep a pet; her parents aren't helping her do that by the sounds of it, so yeah, get him to your place first, get him settled in for a loooong sleepover (meaning permanent!), give the girl your letter, have a last talk & hand over the money.

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
Personally I wouldn't stand for that. I would tell her she's being too rough with them and show her the proper way to handle them.
They are your piggies, afterall. You have final say in what she can/can't do with them.
Don't worry, I did!

So we talked and I suggested the other night putting his cage outside with him so he has water food and hay available all day, and today she goes "I didn't end up doing that because it'd be too much work." It's 10 steps! We had a long talk and she admitted it's hard having a pet that your family hates, and that there's not a lot she can do to take care of them other than what she's doing now. She doesn't give him vegetables, ever, and she said about him not having everything available and not getting veggies "Well it's been this way for 6 months and he's fine! Although that may be why his fur is falling out.." WHAT. Also, I offered to make her a bigger cage and she said no, he'll just "live out the rest of his days in that small cage, he's fine." But she also said, "it sounds like you just want him to live here!" and I go "I just want what's best for him."

and [MENTION=25512]piggielover200[/MENTION] I thought about that but according to her they hate them, and they don't treat their animals well so that's not surprising! I'm gonna talk to her about it again tomorrow and offer for him to live here. She didn't seem to broken up about it so that's technically a good sign I guess?

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
Don't worry, I did!

So we talked and I suggested the other night putting his cage outside with him so he has water food and hay available all day, and today she goes "I didn't end up doing that because it'd be too much work." It's 10 steps! We had a long talk and she admitted it's hard having a pet that your family hates, and that there's not a lot she can do to take care of them other than what she's doing now. She doesn't give him vegetables, ever, and she said about him not having everything available and not getting veggies "Well it's been this way for 6 months and he's fine! Although that may be why his fur is falling out.." WHAT. Also, I offered to make her a bigger cage and she said no, he'll just "live out the rest of his days in that small cage, he's fine." But she also said, "it sounds like you just want him to live here!" and I go "I just want what's best for him."

and [MENTION=25512]piggielover200[/MENTION] I thought about that but according to her they hate them, and they don't treat their animals well so that's not surprising! I'm gonna talk to her about it again tomorrow and offer for him to live here. She didn't seem to broken up about it so that's technically a good sign I guess?

His fur is falling out!?! Come on! No more suggestions, you've tried. Get him to your place. Tell her you do want him & you can look after him for her. She'll be relieved in the long run because she won't have to bother. Hand the money over & take your rabbit home.

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
It's awful, I know. She had to leave because we were having people over for dinner, or I would have finished the talk. I told our dinner guests everything I've said on this forum and our talk(it was my aunts and 2 of my cousins who are babies that were over) and they were in awe at the treatment of Oreo. They all said if they were me they'd take him. My mom's kinda stubborn so I really hope she doesn't mess anything up trying to be the boss after I'd already worked/planned everything out! Gonna finish our talk tomorrow!
His fur is falling out!?! Come on! No more suggestions, you've tried. Get him to your place. Tell her you do want him & you can look after him for her. She'll be relieved in the long run because she won't have to bother. Hand the money over & take your rabbit home.

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
I just read this thread and I really hope you get this rabbit out of that home! If you cannot convince her please contact the proper authorities. I know this would be hard to do to your friend, but I think you probably know it would be the right thing to do.

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
Yeah that's why I didn't want to automatically to he authorities because I wanted to explore all my options before going to something that serious and starting a problem that wasn't there before beside the bunny.
I just read this thread and I really hope you get this rabbit out of that home! If you cannot convince her please contact the proper authorities. I know this would be hard to do to your friend, but I think you probably know it would be the right thing to do.

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
I really hope that by the end of tomorrow Oreo has joined my family. He's been fixed already and is social, which is surprising for how much time he actually gets attention payed to him. Now that she pointed out that her family hates him, I can really see what she's talking about. Nobody tries to make her take care of him

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, the authorities wouldn't do much. Small animal care is very minimal to be considered "proper".

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Good luck! I really hope she listens and lets you take him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.