Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Breeding Convincing against buying from a breeder

pinky

Cavy Slave
Shelters are another issue. Since a large chunk, but not all, are publicly funded[ /QUOTE]

I'd love to know where these publicly funded facilities are, really! Aside from individual town run "shelters" that typically involve a run-down shack of a brick building behing the town garage, shelters are not publicly funded. Even large facilities (HSUS, ASPCA, or large local like the Connecticut Humane Society) are all non-profit, funded purely by donations, not government money. MOST shelters are funded by donations.

doganddisc

Cavy Slave
ASPCA has facilites all over the country and do represent animal rescues and shelters. HSUS does not.

(broken link removed)

pinky

Cavy Slave
ASPCA has facilites all over the country and do represent animal rescues and shelters. HSUS does not.

(broken link removed)

From what I've read, the ASPCA wanted to disassociate itself from New York's shelters and transferred operations of them to the Center for Animal Care and Control in 1995. That's where a huge chunk of their money was going prior to then. The terms HSUS, ASPCA, SPCA, and humane society are often used generically, too, so what some people refer to as one of the above, don't necessarily mean them. What I really dislike about the big 3: HSUS, ASPCA and PETA is that these groups have millions and there's no way to really track what they're using their money for. If you just look at HSUS, a tiny fraction goes to shelters. I'd say anyone who donates, thinking they're contributing to the plight of displaced animals, would be better served donating to shelters and rescues locally to see where the money goes.

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
And if more people trained their dogs from day one, the numbers of dogs being turned into shelters would drop significantly as well. Responsible breeding DOES NOT contribute to shelter populations. A responsible breeder's dogs NEVER end up in a shelter.

Training from day one has nothing to do with it. A dog can be trained at any age; it depends on the individual training the dog. It's people who expect perfect and obedient dogs all the time who are the problem.

Responsible breeding does contribute to shelter populations, unless you're implying that every responsible breeder takes in any puppies they sell, if their customer does not want them any more after a few years. It's either that or they get put down, which we can both agree is inhumane.

No, no, and again, no. There are dogs dying because these individuals WASTE resources on dogs who can never be adopted out. Euthanize the aggressive dogs and you open up THOUSANDS of spaces for dogs who are NOT aggressive. Best Friends is just sitting on a massive sum of money and land where dogs could be rescues and rehabilitated to a reasonable extent. Instead, they choose to house dogs who could never be placed into society. To what point and purpose? An aggressive dog is not a happy dog. You believe it is much more humane to lock the dog in a cage for the rest of its life? I don't get it.

That's like saying, "Oh very sick people are already very sick - let's just wait for them to die out and keep treating only the ones who will get better fast until there are only healthy people in the world."

Aggressive dogs, dogs who have suffered abuse, dogs who have never known a good life - these are the dogs that need help all the more. A place like Best Friends is not the norm. So one place does not handle the way it rehomes dogs very well - this does not mean that all shelters helping aggressive dogs are abysmal.

And as for 'An aggressive dog is not a happy dog', well neither is a dead one. Personally, I would focus on trying to make their life better rather than jumping to conclusions like 'they'd be happier off dead' without any knowledge of what really happens after death.

Feral animals are, by definition, wild. They can never be a "loving companion" like a domesticated dog or cat can. They can be socialized to the extent that they will be able to exist in society, but beyond that what you have is essentially a wild animal. Prove me wrong.

I have tamed several feral cats, who are just as loving as any other cats. I agree that it takes a different approach from the usual training, but it can be done. One of them even follows me around to accompany me and comes when I call, even when I do not have food just because he enjoys being a 'loving companion'. I've even known of many pet cats who were way more vicious than some of the feral ones I've met. There, you've been proved wrong.

Jumping to conclusions about personality or behaviour just based on 'where it came from' is a very narrow-minded way of looking at things. Lots of animals suffer horrible abuse in my country just because they are thought to be wild, and even more because they are not pure-bred.

doganddisc

Cavy Slave
Training from day one has nothing to do with it. A dog can be trained at any age; it depends on the individual training the dog. It's people who expect perfect and obedient dogs all the time who are the problem.

Training has everything to do with it. The vast majority of dogs are turned into shelters between the ages of 6 months and 1 year. In their adolescent stage, dogs will test their owners. A foundation in training from day one will make the test that much more bearable and the understanding of the owner that much more tolerant. According to Nathan Winogard, owner retention is actually the number one reason that there are so many animals in shelters, not overpopulation.

Is pet overpopulation a myth? Inside Nathan Winograd's "Redemption"

It is not about expecting a dog to be perfect. It's about being educated enough to know how to handle when your dog isn't being perfect. This is something, more than breeding, that most people have trouble understanding. Read that article- it's a good one.

Responsible breeding does contribute to shelter populations, unless you're implying that every responsible breeder takes in any puppies they sell, if their customer does not want them any more after a few years. It's either that or they get put down, which we can both agree is inhumane.

By definition, a responsible breeder is one who takes back any puppies that cannot be kept at any stage of life. So no, responsible breeders do not contribute to overpopulation. As a rescue, I had adopters fill out a contract stating that they would return the dog to me if they were unable to keep it. I have kept in contact with all of my adopters and helped them when they had any problems. If I were breeding, I would be a responsible breeder. I choose to rescue because that is my passion. But when I look to buy a dog from a breeder, I look for a breeder who breeds with the same ethics that I would.

That's like saying, "Oh very sick people are already very sick - let's just wait for them to die out and keep treating only the ones who will get better fast until there are only healthy people in the world."

Um. No. That's like saying that certain people are too dangerous to keep in society and we should kill them to keep them away from others. IE: the death penalty. If you reject euthanizing aggressive animals, you reject the death penalty. I'm personally split on concept of the death penalty but fully support euthanizing dogs for aggression. Mostly because you can explain to a human why they are locked in a cage for the rest of their life. Animals don't understand this concept and suffer as a result. I have seen the suffering that comes from a no-kill environment in multiple shelters. The one I posted about earlier was not an isolated incident. I would rather be dead than live where these dogs lived.

Aggressive dogs, dogs who have suffered abuse, dogs who have never known a good life - these are the dogs that need help all the more. A place like Best Friends is not the norm. So one place does not handle the way it rehomes dogs very well - this does not mean that all shelters helping aggressive dogs are abysmal. And as for 'An aggressive dog is not a happy dog', well neither is a dead one. Personally, I would focus on trying to make their life better rather than jumping to conclusions like 'they'd be happier off dead' without any knowledge of what really happens after death.

The level of aggression of which I speak represents a dog that is either extremely frustrated or extremely unhappy. According to Temple Grandin, frustration in animals is aggravated by being locked in a cage. So you are supporting the further aggravation of an already aggravated animal by locking them up for the rest of their lives. If my own dogs, whom I love very dearly, had serious aggression problems, I would always opt to euthanize because I personally believe it is far more humane to put an animal out of their misery than to sit and watch them suffer for years on end in a place where they have zero human interaction because they cannot be trusted outside of a controlled environment.

I have tamed several feral cats, who are just as loving as any other cats. I agree that it takes a different approach from the usual training, but it can be done. One of them even follows me around to accompany me and comes when I call, even when I do not have food just because he enjoys being a 'loving companion'. I've even known of many pet cats who were way more vicious than some of the feral ones I've met. There, you've been proved wrong.

I put too much of a blanket statement on the last thing I said, admittedly, so yes, I'm sure it can be done. I would never euthanize an animal that was feral but not aggressive. I hope you did not misunderstand me. My argument was that a feral animal will always communicate differently with people than one who is not feral. They cannot be placed into just any environment because there are many people who do not understand how to care for a feral animal. I would, however, be very selective about adopting them out.

Jumping to conclusions about personality or behaviour just based on 'where it came from' is a very narrow-minded way of looking at things. Lots of animals suffer horrible abuse in my country just because they are thought to be wild, and even more because they are not pure-bred.

I agree. I am not jumping to any conclusions. Being feral means the animal acts feral, ergo I am judging the personality, not the animal's origins.

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
How dare you.

Temperament tests are extremely inaccurate. A dog is tested within days of arriving at a very scary place. Dogs can show an excess of aggression that they would not normally show or a lack of aggression that bears absolutely no resemblance to their true temperament.

Caleb was severely aggressive toward everybody BUT me until he went after me. Upon further examination, my vet noticed that Caleb's back right knee was bent inward, as if he had been kicked hard when he was still growing. But this was only a theory. It could have been MDR1, it could have been abuse....it could have been any number of things that I personally had absolutely no control over.

I implore you to consider other's feelings on a matter such as this before you post something like that again. While this may be a sore subject for many people, I have not made any personal attacks toward you or any other user, despite our fundamental disagreements. Blaming me for what happened to Caleb is a low blow, whether or not you fail to understand my view on breeding and euthanasia. We all love animals here and Caleb meant the world to me. It tore me apart when I was not able to save him.

Doganddisc, I'm very sorry about Caleb. I agree that some dogs are too dangerous and should be humanely euthanized to keep them from living out a life of solitary confinement, which is no life at all :( However, since he did pass the tests, and seem perfectly fine until after he was treated with medication that has been known to cause aggression, it's very likely that the testing was true, but the drug did the damage. I am very sorry for your loss, but a dog who was harmed by medicine is no argument to support breeders, who do directly increase the problem of overcrowded shelters among other things.

sassyfirechick

Cavy Slave
However, since he did pass the tests, and seem perfectly fine until after he was treated with medication that has been known to cause aggression, it's very likely that the testing was true, but the drug did the damage. I am very sorry for your loss, but a dog who was harmed by medicine is no argument to support breeders, who do directly increase the problem of overcrowded shelters among other things.

I believe she was trying to make the point that the temperament test may have been inaccurate because at that point you can't know what caused it. MDR1 gene presence can be tested for but in a dog infested with heartworm, where Ivermectin is the primary treatment (and at those high levels can kill even a non-MDR1 dog), you're looking at a negative either way. And you can still argue FOR breeders, since in breeds prone to this mutation it has become commonplace to test all breeding stock before planning a litter since positive dogs will pass it along to puppies. Without responsible breeders out there trying to eliminate these genes, there's no telling how common they could become.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Where are the breeders trying to breed out MDR1?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Not every county has the resources to run this type of shelter, but I'm glad yours does! For southern shelters, however, taking in hundreds of dogs a week makes keeping all of them until they are adopted an impossible feat.

To which I say, maybe those southern shelters need to educate people there about the benefits of spay/neuter. Most shelters spay/neuter before any animals get adopted.

Didn't you say that your shelter had a temperament test upon intake? Are you talking about dogs that have already been temperament tested?

Yes. Temperment test upon intake. They aren't even in the adoption room until they have passed the temperment test. Your point? Growling does not necessarily equal aggression. As I said, this was a dog that was recently (within the last week) taken into the shelter. Understandably, she was a little freaked out.

Pretending it doesn't happen doesn't make that the case

And pretending that it happens everywhere and should be used as a blanket statement for all shelter volunteers, doesn't make that the case either.

doganddisc

Cavy Slave
To which I say, maybe those southern shelters need to educate people there about the benefits of spay/neuter. Most shelters spay/neuter before any animals get adopted.

That is being done as we speak! They are also being educated about responsible breeders, vaccinations and heartworm prevention, and humane euthanasia (in the case of pounds that still use a gas chamber). But those willing to educate need the same resources to spread the word that the county needs to house all of the surrendered animals. And spay/neuter programs are free or low cost because the county pays for them. That takes resources too. The problem is not that the whole world is sitting back and letting this happen. A great amount of effort is put into education- but people, unfortunately, will do what they want to do and believe what they want to believe. You can only tell somebody so many times to neuter their dog. If they don't want to do it, they aren't going to. Infuriating.

Yes. Temperment test upon intake. They aren't even in the adoption room until they have passed the temperment test. Your point? Growling does not necessarily equal aggression. As I said, this was a dog that was recently (within the last week) taken into the shelter. Understandably, she was a little freaked out.

Growling is, by definition, an aggressive behavior. So yes, it does.

Good for her though. Usually a dog that growls is doing you a favor- you WANT the dog to warn you when it is uncomfortable.

And pretending that it happens everywhere and should be used as a blanket statement for all shelter volunteers, doesn't make that the case either.

You're stuck on this shelter volunteer thing, aren't you? I'm a shelter volunteer, so anything I say about them I say about me. Where did I put a blanket statement on volunteers?

doganddisc

Cavy Slave
Where are the breeders trying to breed out MDR1?

Breeders of the affected breeds will always test for the MDR1 gene if they are reputable breeders who truly care about their dogs.

I have no examples for you. I am specifically interested in Border Collies and don't keep track of breeders of any other breed. Border Collies have such a low percentage of MDR1 in their lines that it isn't worth tracking right now. Collie Eye Anomaly, however, is.

Last edited by a moderator:

doganddisc

Cavy Slave
Doganddisc, I'm very sorry about Caleb. I agree that some dogs are too dangerous and should be humanely euthanized to keep them from living out a life of solitary confinement, which is no life at all :( However, since he did pass the tests, and seem perfectly fine until after he was treated with medication that has been known to cause aggression, it's very likely that the testing was true, but the drug did the damage. I am very sorry for your loss, but a dog who was harmed by medicine is no argument to support breeders, who do directly increase the problem of overcrowded shelters among other things.

The instance with Caleb has absolutely nothing to do with why I support breeders. Caleb is why I support euthanizing aggressive animals.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Growling is, by definition, an aggressive behavior. So yes, it does.

Okay well my sister got her puppy from a breeder. This is one of those "reputable" breeders, where she had a large property and socialized the puppies before selling them, etc. Had she asked my opinion before doing so, I would have directed her away from that but she didn't. Although the dog does not resource guard with me, he DOES growl at my nephew when he moves toward his toys. Dogs from breeders aren't perfect either.

You're stuck on this shelter volunteer thing, aren't you? I'm a shelter volunteer, so anything I say about them I say about me. Where did I put a blanket statement on volunteers?

I was referring to the moronic quotes you said you heard a volunteer say in order to ensure a dog was adopted. Hiding the issues, and sugar-coating the truth. Not all...in fact MOST do not do this. If they have the best interest of the dogs in mind, they are trained to be honest with the potential adoptors.

Please do not paint all shelter volunteers with this brush. A select few might think they are doing the right thing or maybe there is a shelter that is just focused on moving dogs out that they train the volunteers to do that. But if the people have the best interest of the dogs in mind, they wouldn't do something that might mean the dog is returned later.

Last edited:

doganddisc

Cavy Slave
Okay well my sister got her puppy from a breeder. This is one of those "reputable" breeders, where she had a large property and socialized the puppies before selling them, etc. Had she asked my opinion before doing so, I would have directed her away from that but she didn't. Although the dog does not resource guard with me, he DOES growl at my nephew when he moves toward his toys. Dogs from breeders aren't perfect either.

Socialization does not prevent the dog from learned resource guarding when the nephew is permitted to approach the dog's toys in the first place. This is something that develops overtime. Maybe they "trained" the puppy to not pick up items around the house by taking the item from his mouth and telling him "No!". If every time I tried to inspect something somebody ripped it out of my hands, I would be pretty protective of my toys as well.

Would you encourage this same nephew to harass your guinea pigs while they are eating?

Absence of aggression is not what makes a dog perfect. There is no concept of perfection when it comes to animals because what is perfect for me is not perfect for you.

Perfect for me would be a dog that DOES resource guard when necessary (IE growls at an intruder when my family is unaware of their presence). Some dogs, like guardian breeds, are bred specifically for their aggression towards strangers and other large animals that may attack their flock. These days, we do have gates and barbed wire. But, if it were up to me, I would much rather have a good guardian dog than barbed wire.

When your sister contacted the breeder for advice about her puppy's resource guarding, what was the breeder's response? A good breeder will advise her on which trainers she should seek out to fix the problem.

I was referring to the moronic quotes you said you heard a volunteer say in order to ensure a dog was adopted. Hiding the issues, and sugar-coating the truth. Not all...in fact MOST do not do this. If they have the best interest of the dogs in mind, they are trained to be honest with the potential adoptors.

Not all do this. Many do. Most do not. But it does happen.

The same goes for breeders. Many are irresponsible and do not care about their animals. But there are plenty of breeders who hold their animals in the highest regard and offer them the best care.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Socialization does not prevent the dog from learned resource guarding when the nephew is permitted to approach the dog's toys in the first place. This is something that develops overtime. Maybe they "trained" the puppy to not pick up items around the house by taking the item from his mouth and telling him "No!". If every time I tried to inspect something somebody ripped it out of my hands, I would be pretty protective of my toys as well.

A few bits of info to fill in the gaps: The puppy is 8 months old and is a mini dachshund. Nephew is 11 and it's not food he is taking, it's a toy or rawhide. He isn't ripping it out of the dogs mouth. He just takes hold of one end and the dog growls. I puppysit while they are at work/school so I am with the dog most of the day. He does not growl or guard toys or food when I need to get them from him.

Items are sometimes items he should not have but he lets me just open his mouth and remove the items he should not have. These are the items he's been told "NO!" for and he does understand the "no". In most cases, he does stop before even picking the item up.

Most of the time, the items in question are just a rawhide or a squeeky toy that he is enjoying playing with. He doesn't mind if I lift it away from him, especially if it's a ball or something I have been throwing for him to retrieve. He will give it up to me without a problem. No growling or hesitation. But my nephew, who does tend to rough house a bit more with the puppy than I do. He imitates how his dad plays with the dog which is in a more rough and tumble manner.

Would you encourage this same nephew to harass your guinea pigs while they are eating?

Nope and I try to discourage him from doing so with the dog. But I can only advise them, as it's not my dog.

Perfect for me would be a dog that DOES resource guard when necessary (IE growls at an intruder when my family is unaware of their presence).

I agree. I never much thought about having a guardian type of dog, only as a companion but after I was attacked in my home last summer, my focus was for not only a companion but a dog that would warn me about an intruder. The police suggested it as well. My understanding is that most dogs will instinctually protect those they feel most bonded to (their family, etc). But I could be wrong on the instinctual part.

But, if it were up to me, I would much rather have a good guardian dog than barbed wire

Definitely agree with you there.

When your sister contacted the breeder for advice about her puppy's resource guarding, what was the breeder's response? A good breeder will advise her on which trainers she should seek out to fix the problem.

She hasn't been in contact with the breeder since she brought the dog home in November. I have a feeling though that the growling with my nephew is more a learned behavior. Nephew doesn't always use the best judgment when approaching the dog.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Socialization does not prevent the dog from learned resource guarding when the nephew is permitted to approach the dog's toys in the first place.

I know. I was just using that as an example to distinguish her being a reputable breeder from a backyard breeder.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Please pm me the website for the border collie breeder-I would like to see what their breeding program is like and how they keep the dogs, how they choose who to sell to, etc. Border collies are actually the dog breed I have some experience with. My parents have always had border collie mixes (from shelters, the street, or "oops, free puppies" ads). I've got to say, a border collie is kind of a lot of dog for most people looking for a pet. I grew up being herded by an extremely intelligent and extremely tolerant border collie/hound mix, who never showed the slightest inclination to bite my toddler hands grabbing at her face to point out "TEEF!" and "EARS!!" However, most dogs are not Reba, most people do not have an acre of yard that needs to be kept squirrel free, and most children would get bitten in this situation. Do we blame the dog? Do we blame the breeder, if the dog was intentionally bred? Do we blame the child? The parents? Stupid Cesar Millan for teaching people to be unnecessarily aggressive with their dogs?

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
If a guinea pig bites, we say, "he must have mites, or be in pain." If a hamster bites, we say, "You woke him up or invaded his tunnels, or he was badly socialized at the pet store, don't touch him." But we expect a dog to be left alone with a toddler and never bite, no matter how abused in the past or sick at the moment, no matter how he may be provoked, and if he bites we blame the breeder, or the breed, or the owner. But wherever we place the blame, it is the dog who suffers quarantine or euthanasia.

doganddisc

Cavy Slave
A few bits of info to fill in the gaps: The puppy is 8 months old and is a mini dachshund. Nephew is 11 and it's not food he is taking, it's a toy or rawhide. He isn't ripping it out of the dogs mouth. He just takes hold of one end and the dog growls. I puppysit while they are at work/school so I am with the dog most of the day. He does not growl or guard toys or food when I need to get them from him.

Are you certain the growl is an aggressive growl? Dachshunds are excessively vocal. He may actually just be playing with your nephew. Perhaps he thinks of your nephew as the other "puppy" in the family?

If it is, in fact, aggression, it sounds like a perfectly normal response from a dog who expects to have the toy taken from him.

Items are sometimes items he should not have but he lets me just open his mouth and remove the items he should not have. These are the items he's been told "NO!" for and he does understand the "no". In most cases, he does stop before even picking the item up.

I would hazard a guess that the dog is more understanding of the tone of "No!" than the actual word. When you or anyone else takes something from him though, you should do it as a trade. Take the toy, but give him a piece of hot dog. You aren't rewarding him for picking up the toy- he did that minutes ago and won't make that connection. You are rewarding him for giving you the item he has in his mouth, and he will learn that even if you are going to take something from him, it will be well worth his while.

Most of the time, the items in question are just a rawhide or a squeeky toy that he is enjoying playing with. He doesn't mind if I lift it away from him, especially if it's a ball or something I have been throwing for him to retrieve. He will give it up to me without a problem. No growling or hesitation. But my nephew, who does tend to rough house a bit more with the puppy than I do. He imitates how his dad plays with the dog which is in a more rough and tumble manner.

Knowing this makes me a bit more certain that it's a play growl and not a resource guarding growl, but the only way to know the difference is to read the body language of the dog. Is he tense or does his whole body seem loose? Does he wag his tail when he growls? (If he does, is the wag frantic or slow?).

I agree. I never much thought about having a guardian type of dog, only as a companion but after I was attacked in my home last summer, my focus was for not only a companion but a dog that would warn me about an intruder. The police suggested it as well. My understanding is that most dogs will instinctually protect those they feel most bonded to (their family, etc). But I could be wrong on the instinctual part.

My dogs are fantastic for warding off strangers! They bark like maniacs when the doorbell rings. I'm not sure they would actually do anything if somebody were to break and enter but they sure sound like they would! I've done nothing to discourage this :) I do know that if somebody were to try to hurt me, one of my dogs would not be so friendly.

doganddisc

Cavy Slave
Please pm me the website for the border collie breeder-I would like to see what their breeding program is like and how they keep the dogs, how they choose who to sell to, etc.

I was asked by another moderator to not share any information about breeders. If they tell me otherwise, I will do just that.

I've got to say, a border collie is kind of a lot of dog for most people looking for a pet.

Yes, I completely agree with this. I would never recommend to somebody that they get a border collie unless they were extremely dog savvy and were looking specifically for an active dog. Though I have recommended to several people who wanted a Border Collie but not the go-go-go lifestyle that they adopt an older dog. My girl, in her older age, has slowed down considerably but is still a wonderful companion (and a fantastic herder!).

Do we blame the dog? Do we blame the breeder, if the dog was intentionally bred? Do we blame the child? The parents? Stupid Cesar Millan for teaching people to be unnecessarily aggressive with their dogs?

I blame the owner/parents. If a dog bites, the owners have usually done something to cause this, unless there are other factors (IE the dog has bouts of aggression due to a medical issue). I'll be happy to blame Cesar Milan too.

I am so sad to see so many news reports of a child who was attacked by the family dog. The circumstances are always the same though- dog was tied up outside/parents were not supervising their children with the dog. Far too many people treat animals like they are toys. They forget that even the fluffy little Bichon of the family is a carnivore who's natural inclination is to use its mouth and sharp teeth defensively. I respect my dogs. I respect that they are carnivores, that they have natural instincts that cannot and should not be bred out of them, and that they have the ability to seriously injure me but choose not to.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.