Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Flannel instead of Fleece ?

piggiepie57

Cavy Slave
Can I use Flannel instead of Fleece If i hem it so there is no loose threads?

Raine59

Cavy Slave
I think flannel would not wick away the moisture and would just stay wet.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I've been curious about this as well, since someone on etsy sells cage liners made from flannel.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I am interested in knowing this too as I use a lot of flannel in my products and would be interested in liners with it (though it would still be cheaper to use fleece). I know that cloth diapers use a lot of flannel, both inside and out.

kittymalone

Cavy Slave
Flannel is very absorbant (I, too have made many cloth diapers) but it will just stay wet, as mentioned by [MENTION=22342]Raine59[/MENTION] so it won't do anything to wick the moisture away from the pigs. It would, however, make a good absorbant material under fleece but you'd have to use multiple layers (5-6). The cloth diapers I've made use 5 layers of flannel in the mid section, just to give you an idea.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Flannel is very absorbant (I, too have made many cloth diapers) but it will just stay wet, as mentioned by @Raine59 so it won't do anything to wick the moisture away from the pigs. It would, however, make a good absorbant material under fleece but you'd have to use multiple layers (5-6). The cloth diapers I've made use 5 layers of flannel in the mid section, just to give you an idea.

Yikes,sounds bulky. I like my liners fairly thin so they can get agitated in the washer properly, and I can fit more than one in a load.

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
Yikes,sounds bulky. I like my liners fairly thin so they can get agitated in the washer properly, and I can fit more than one in a load.
What if you used one large sheet of flannel and just folded it to fit the cage? Thats what I do for diapers.

SarahS

Cavy Slave
I always thought that flannel should be used where the towels would be used, under the fleece. As it holds the moisture rather than wicks it away (which Raine59 said).
You probably shouldn't use it, and try to find other fabrics which take the wee away from the surface rather than holding it there :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.