Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Brands Recalled Kaytee Products...

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Here is the list of recalled products by Kaytee -

(broken link removed)

Hopefully, not many people feed this brand anyway ;)

Last edited:

BlueButterfly

Cavy Slave
Good to know, even though it's rat and hamster food. I agree, hopefully not to many people are using that brand anyway.

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
I don't think many people use kaytee. My question is, how could it possibly have samonella?
It's got several vegetable ingredients. Salmonella is not only found in meat and egg products, although I'd say it's definitely more common than in vegetables. In the US a few years ago, there was a Salmonella outbreak traced back to spinach or some other leafy green.

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
millons of people use Kaytee. Manly it is because it is one of the cheaper products and appear to be "great for your pets".
The scary part is my local PetsMart is still selling the recalled products AND at a reduced priced O.O

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
What's wrong with Kaytee? I was looking for oxbow, but they only had the timothy based food, and my Wheekers are under 6 months old, so I had to go with the only Alfalfa based one there, which was Kaytee.

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
I have Oxbow food but kaytee hay as it was much larger and the nutritional info looked near identical. Is it just the food that isn't good or does the timothy hay have issues to?

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
silverwind I think they were referring to the ingredients.
I think people might use kaytee out of deseration.Oxbow is hard to find in some places
Kaytee is everywhere even grocery stores sometiems

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Kaytee isn't for every pet and Kaytee also commonly makes SEVERAL products that shouldn't be given to animals.
Examples:
(broken link removed)
Full of seeds, guinea pigs should not eat seeds.
(broken link removed)
And again with the seeds AND artificially colored pieces. Not to mention there are some odd looking pieces and there and you have NO IDEA what they are.

Now Kaytee does have some pretty good food as well:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Also, keep in mind, the Supreme Guinea Pig is stating that it is for adult guinea pigs. Adult guinea pigs should have LITTLE or no alfalfa in their diet. Alfalfa is manly for younger and pregnant guinea pigs. And yet that food has Sun-cured Alfalfa Meal as its 1st ingredient.
Me personally, I'd rather not purchase from a company whom continues to make products that animals should not have AND market them wrong.

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
i meant to say desperation some of these prob didnt to their research
it was affordable. Oxbow is very hard to find sometimes (for me anyways my
big box pet stores doesnt sell it, they sell all of the bad foods)

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I have Oxbow food but kaytee hay as it was much larger and the nutritional info looked near identical. Is it just the food that isn't good or does the timothy hay have issues to?

The quality of the hay says it all.
Next time you are at the pet store. Inspect a bag of Oxbow hay and Kaytee hay. Open them and touch them. Sniff them. Inspect every piece in those bags.
Oxbow is softer, sweeter smelling, greener and has less sticks.
Kaytee hay is stiff, somewhat good smelling (depending on the date bag), some are really green (also depending on bagging date) and has tons of stick.

Alot of users here perfer to not use Kaytee hay because of their food products and because of the hay quality. Those sticks present a poking hazard. A guinea pig's eyes are very fragile and so are yours as well. I've seen my guinea pig poke his eye accidentally with Kaytee and I've even accidentally poked myself in the eye with Kaytee hay (not sure how).
Also try to get a small bag of Oxbow hay. Put each side by side and your guinea pig will tell you which is best. To a guinea pig, taste and smell is everything. When Mr. Whistles had his 1st bite of Oxbow hay, it was a whole new pig. He was literally pigging out on this hay. Even ignored his freshies for a bit o_O His eyes had brighten up immediately when he took a bite. Oxbow is a whole new hay when compared to Kaytee.

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Or (if in the US)...skip the pet stores all together and order from KMS - (broken link removed) - way better hay, way better pellets :)

Kieri

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the warning! Even though the recall is for rat, hamsters, and mice, I don't trust the guinea pig kind and I am going to order some KMS pellets. :)

kananaka

Cavy Slave
What's wrong with Kaytee? I was looking for oxbow, but they only had the timothy based food, and my Wheekers are under 6 months old, so I had to go with the only Alfalfa based one there, which was Kaytee.

You can get KMS alfalfa pellets which are the best pellets (imo). It seems expensive but it is totally worth it. Also Oxbow does make young guinea pig food Oxbow Animal Health | Essentials - Young Guinea Pig Food but you have to search for it. I found Oxbow online here (broken link removed) and here (broken link removed) just look for the young guinea pig food or it will also state alfalfa based. Some stores will even order Oxbow for you, you just have to ask.

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
The store I went to did carry it, but there was a delay inshipping due to a sinkhole taking out part of the highway. I was told. it would be in monday though
. I guess Ill be switching agian soon

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.