Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Not sure he is going to make it - sick pig

guineapigsxo

Cavy Slave
Hi all. My boy Aries is not doing very well at all. Last night I found him under his water battle basically lifeless. He was seen by the vet this morning and given a shot of Baytril and some fluids.

Symptoms:
-discharge from nose
-very lethargic
-raspy breathing
-can hardly keep his head up

It doesn't sound that horrible but how he is acting is. He's my mischief child that is always wheeking and eating but now he just lays flat in his cage, not moving. I've been trying to give him critical care but he absolute won't move his mouth around to swallow it and I am afraid of aspirating him.

I am not not sure what to do, he just looks so miserable. He is only 2-3 years old. If anyone has some words of advice that would be great, thank you.

Attachments

IMG_0646.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

guineapigsxo

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the fast response, bpatters. You're always a great help.

guineapigsxo

Cavy Slave
He passed away in the middle of the night. Im so heartbroken.

IMG_8530.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost Aries. It sounds like whatever happened happened very very quickly, and it seems to me that you did everything you could. He was a very handsome little fella. Rest in Peace, Aries.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry you lost him.

guineapigsxo

Cavy Slave
Thank you both. It's so hard to lose a pet.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I'm sorry he's gone. Do you have other guinea pigs? It's recommended to weigh them weekly, it's a great way to see if a guinea pig isn't feeling well. Since guinea pigs are prey animals they hide their symptoms, so it's possible he had been sick longer than you were aware.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Chasethecavy

Cavy Slave
Rest in piggy paradise Aries ❤️ my boys will looks after him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guineapigsxo

Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy yes, I generally do weigh them weekly. I just didn't over the holidays because I was very busy so unfortunately that's probably when he started not feeling well and I didn't realize. It's hard to not blame yourself.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry for your loss. I understand you were very busy, I didn't weigh my pigs as regularly as I should've over the holidays either. You were just unlucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pouty

Cavy Slave
I'm so so sorry for your loss. What you wrote in your first post and how your boy looks in the picture is identical to what happened to my boy just a few weeks ago. He passed with pneumonia.

But we have to move forward and take care of our other babies. Did he have cage mates? Because of my boy's death, I got my girls checked and the vet said they looked fine but swabbed one of them just in case- turns out she had heavy growth of two bacteria and both my girls were immediately put on an antibiotic.

Because of what happened to your Aries is so similar to what happened to my boy, I recommend getting your other piggies checked.

Remember you did your best, and you have to focus now on taking care of yourself and your other piggies. I feel very strongly for you, and you and Aries and your piggies will be in my thoughts. Good luck to you.

guineapigsxo

Cavy Slave
@pouty yes he had a cage mate, and there are 2 other pigs in the room. One of the pigs is actually also very sick. She probably won't make it either, she's so weak she can't even walk, but I'm doing all I can do for her. (She has been to the vet) I will be taking the rest of my pigs to the vet as well, but thank you so much for the advice. I will definitely get my other 2 pigs pigs checked out asap as well.

pouty

Cavy Slave
@pouty yes he had a cage mate, and there are 2 other pigs in the room. One of the pigs is actually also very sick. She probably won't make it either, she's so weak she can't even walk, but I'm doing all I can do for her. (She has been to the vet) I will be taking the rest of my pigs to the vet as well, but thank you so much for the advice. I will definitely get my other 2 pigs pigs checked out asap as well.

Im so sorry to hear she isn't doing well. Keep feeding her critical care and closely monitor the other two. Is your vet aware of how sick she has gotten? Mine tried to put my boy on oxygen but he was too far gone at that point.

guineapigsxo

Cavy Slave
@pouty Yes I called them about an hour ago to let them know. They said there wasn't much else they could do for her. She's 6 1/2 so she's an old girl.

pouty

Cavy Slave
@pouty Yes I called them about an hour ago to let them know. They said there wasn't much else they could do for her. She's 6 1/2 so she's an old girl.

If she doesn't make it, remember that she was so lucky to have you taking care of her and helping her live a long and healthy life. You did your best. Don't feel any guilt. These are very fragile animals and life happens.

That said, I'm rooting for her and I hope she recovers.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss, I pray your elderly lady makes it along with the others being fine!

guineapigsxo

Cavy Slave
Thank you both!! ❤️

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sly, Scooter, and Punkin send wheeks to your elderly girl, hoping she gets better soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.