Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I?m a new member and had a couple questions.

ILoveMyCavvy

Cavy Gazer
Hi! I?m Madison, and I have a girl named sweetie, and she is a calico American smooth hair. I?ve had two guinea pigs before, both at the same time. One passed away this May.. her name was honey, and she was an Abyssinian. She was about three and a half when she passed. She got sick and she died in my arms. My American smooth hair is still alive and healthy, she is almost four. One question I have is, Sweetie has a water bottle attached to her cage, but she keeps pulling it down. Is that Normal, and how can I discourage her from doing it? Anyways, that?s all I can think to say right now. I thank you In advance for your help! (PS- I can?t figure out how to delete the first picture, and I don?t know how it got upside down! So sorry!)

Attachments

D192294B-3945-45E9-9617-CCA7375A5BA2.jpg A38B937A-2933-4B05-87DF-5D4B30B5A444.jpg D089E360-B8AB-4205-94B1-A640AD682683.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

What do you mean, she keeps pulling it down? How do you have it attached to the cage?

Most people attach them on the outside, and the spout from the water bottle hits something on the side grid of the cage and keeps it from going any lower.

ILoveMyCavvy

Cavy Gazer
I have it attached on the inside, I have to because of the design of the bottle. She keeps snatching it off of the metal part.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Perhaps try a different bottle or a different hanger?
Could you post a picture of how you hang the bottle?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto [MENTION=11509]lissie[/MENTION]. I never saw a bottle that had to be hung on the inside of the cage.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I have always hung my bottles on the inside of the cage for one simple reason......if it is hung on the outside of the cage, the 6" coroplast walls cause the water bottle to be too high for my cavies to comfortably reach it. I use the bottle holder pictured below which will accommodate any 16 oz. generic bottle. I sometimes add a tiny bungee (7") (which I buy in packs at Ocean State Job Lot) to reinforce the bottle and hold it securely to the grids.

Water bottle holder.jpg Water bottle holder side.jpg

cavycalm1

Cavy Slave
So, I may know what kind of water bottle you have, and it's one like a Kaytee or living world, and know matter how tight you screw the spout on, it won't face in a way that enables you to hang it on the outside of the cage! What you can do is; take the spout (the end piece that the pigs chew to get water) and twist! It worked for me. And it enables it so that you can twist it so that it goes on the inside and the outside.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.