Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing: Artemis and Luna!

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Me. Right here with you. I spend hours per week talking to Cavalier friends about my dogs, and now I've added hours on here because I am a compulsive researcher and worrier! lol

Just think though, it makes you a proactive piggy parent!

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Just think though, it makes you a proactive piggy parent!

Perhaps I should spend more time researching parenting my 8 yr old? lollollol

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Sounds about right

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
You got this hehe!

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Just spoken to the adoption centre about the other 4 piggies. The little girl I was worried about has had her teeth checked and she is okay! I must have had a bout of extreme paranoia over her due to Crumbs. They are being kept in quarantine another full week and monitored very carefully. Hopefully the worst is now over for those tiny angels.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Just spoken to the adoption centre about the other 4 piggies. The little girl I was worried about has had her teeth checked and she is okay! I must have had a bout of extreme paranoia over her due to Crumbs. They are being kept in quarantine another full week and monitored very carefully. Hopefully the worst is now over for those tiny angels.

YAY! Go [MENTION=39335]wigglemish[/MENTION] for being the savior of 6 piggies, not 2!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Awesome news, [MENTION=39335]wigglemish[/MENTION]! Sounds to me like a good night's sleep is in order for you? Very, very happy that all the piggies are definitely in better places and are doing well.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
YAY! Go @wigglemish for being the savior of 6 piggies, not 2!

Awesome news, @wigglemish! Sounds to me like a good night's sleep is in order for you? Very, very happy that all the piggies are definitely in better places and are doing well.

Thank you both. I feel a lot- better today after that. My conscience is a little clearer.

I think I will sleep better once Artie has seen the vet again this evening. At the moment all seems good with her chest, but I won't relax until I get it from the professional. In the meantime though, I am just so relieved those 4 are going to be okay now. Hopefully they will all go to very loving, experienced homes and have nothing but joy for the rest of their days.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Post vet update:

Full MOT has been done. Luna is as I thought, fit has a fiddle. She's gained a little weight, gone up to 1025g, we're very happy.

Artemis' chest is now clear. No respiratory distress at all. Finishing the course of bactrim, but she sounds totally normal. The vet did see some slight sharp edges on her teeth, which made my heart leap into my chest, but he is not currently concerned, as her mouth looks fine and her appetite is extremely good. Her weight is coming up, today she is 795g, so she has gained 75gs since she arrived with us. She goes back in a month for another look. He urged me not to panic about her teeth, said as long as she gets plenty of hay they should be fine. I'm trying extremely hard not to freak out.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Post vet update:

Full MOT has been done. Luna is as I thought, fit has a fiddle. She's gained a little weight, gone up to 1025g, we're very happy.

Artemis' chest is now clear. No respiratory distress at all. Finishing the course of bactrim, but she sounds totally normal. The vet did see some slight sharp edges on her teeth, which made my heart leap into my chest, but he is not currently concerned, as her mouth looks fine and her appetite is extremely good. Her weight is coming up, today she is 795g, so she has gained 75gs since she arrived with us. She goes back in a month for another look. He urged me not to panic about her teeth, said as long as she gets plenty of hay they should be fine. I'm trying extremely hard not to freak out.

Don't worry too much mama, sounds like those piggies are happily getting back to healthy under your care!

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Don't worry too much mama, sounds like those piggies are happily getting back to healthy under your care!

I just have to learn to trust vets again. If he isn't worried then I shouldn't be worried, right..?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go Artie and Luna! Great things can happen when you get in a great home!

Just an FYI, when Sly has his molar trims (DREADING Thursday) his vet NEVER straightens out his incisors, presumably to have him under the anesthetic as little as possible. After his molars are planed, in a couple of weeks they straighten themselves out.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
So happy for you [MENTION=39335]wigglemish[/MENTION] . You did the right thing! Hope they are still doing well in their new home :)

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to dip in and give an update on Artemis and Luna now it's been a few weeks.

They are doing very, very well. I'm comfortable enough to say we are out of the woods with them now.

Artemis is gaining weight steadily and pretty rapidly for an adult pig imho. She's now sitting pretty at 849g as of Tuesday. I can actually feel a little meat on her bones now. A good way to go yet, but I don't lose sleep over her anymore.

Luna is also maintaining her weight beautifully at around 1025 to 1045g, and is a very joyful, popcorny little girl. She's a total trouble maker, but she is calming down some around humans now. Laptime is still a bit of a challenge but we are making progress. I found a tiny sebaceous cyst on her ear last week, and with lots of lettuce to keep her occupied she sat in my lap very calmly while I cleaned it out.

Artemis has become a true cuddle monster. She will curl up very happily with us now, and loves having under her chin rubbed. She lifts her head to let us full have access and will sometimes doze off while we do this for her.

They have now stopped eating their food like it will be the last meal they ever have and are both more relaxed in general. They don't flinch when we walk in the room or if a voice is too loud. They also like to come up and try to 'help' when i am doing their daily spot clean, I even get treated to licks and nibbles sometimes when I'm doing this.

They've had their full cycle of parasitic treatment and the itching has stopped, which is a huge relief, as Luna particularly seemed so uncomfortable when they first arrived. Artie's coat is also thickening up.

This weekend we will be attempting introductions to Freyja and Frigga. I am hoping it will go well and that they will all benefit from being in a larger group. It'll be interesting to see what happens as Luna is very dominant and so is Freyja, but hopefully they will work it out. touchwood, I've not had an intro that hasn't worked yet...

I'm just happy. I'm happy we got to them before Artie became any more sick. I'm happy that they are not afraid of me and they seem to be learning to trust me a bit. I'm happy that for once it feels like we've had a win.

October is a tough month for me. We've lost four of our girls in October before, and also it's the first anniversary of my grandmother's death. I'm getting the familiar fear that October will bring more heartache, but maybe not this year. Maybe this year I will carry on being happy and so will our little fuzzy family. I hope hope hope all goes well on Sunday.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Very, very glad to hear that all is going so well. After all that this last year has brought you, you and your other half very much deserve a win.

Looking forward to hearing how introductions go, and also looking forward to hearing more of all of your girls stories ! :)

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Very, very glad to hear that all is going so well. After all that this last year has brought you, you and your other half very much deserve a win.

Looking forward to hearing how introductions go, and also looking forward to hearing more of all of your girls stories ! :)

Thank you, GPP :) I'm super looking forwards to sharing what happens on Sunday. fingers crossed it will go smoothly and I will have pics/videos to share!

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
I can't wait, I can't wait!!!!!! What an update, piggie mama! You rock!!!!! Apparently so much that you deserve a grammatically-poor amount of exclamation points lol!!!!!!! :love: to you [MENTION=39335]wigglemish[/MENTION] so can't wait to hear more.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
I can't wait, I can't wait!!!!!! What an update, piggie mama! You rock!!!!! Apparently so much that you deserve a grammatically-poor amount of exclamation points lol!!!!!!! :love: to you @wigglemish so can't wait to hear more.

Haha all the exclamation points! Watch this space! XD

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.