Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes Snickers' Medical Thread

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I don't think you were giving him too much because the recommended vitamin C is 10-30 mg daily. Check your vitamin C package for dosage, but the Oasis drops I saw online listed 8 drops = 30 mg. So if you were syringing 0.3 ml, that is about 6 drops according to the Google calculator. That would be right in the ball park of normal. Most pellets contain some vitamin C but even so, I don't think you gave him too much vitamin C.

If he was showing signs of scurvy there would probably be other symptoms such as poor skin and coat, a rough cough, or lethargy besides the sore joints and limping. You may need a vet to diagnose for sure.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
I am confused...I see what you're saying, but when I convert 0.3 milliliters to milligrams, it comes out to 300 milligrams. Am I looking at it wrong?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
One ml is 20 drops, roughly. Drops aren't a very exact measurement. So 0.3 ml is 6 2/3 drops, call it 7 to make it even. And if 8 drops is 30 mg, you're giving about 27 mg. That sounds about right to me.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
Ok, thank you. So if his stiffness isn't caused by too much vitamin C, then could it be a sudden bout of arthritis? I called my vet, but they're booked all through August. I'm supposed to get a call from them regarding the symptoms he has, but I don't know what they'll want to do.

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
I am confused...I see what you're saying, but when I convert 0.3 milliliters to milligrams, it comes out to 300 milligrams. Am I looking at it wrong?

I feel your confusion... I was sitting here trying to figure it out myself. The confusion comes in because the typical 1 mL = 1 cc = 1 g only works with things that have a density of 1 g/cc; something with a different density requires a different calculation. In this case, with the Oasis drops, the given density is 8 drops = 30 mg Vit C. Then 1 drop = 0.05 mL, so 0.3 mL = 6 drops = 22.5 mg Vit C.

Sorry... math nerd... give me numbers and I'll either work out the problem or drive myself nuts trying! (And in this case, I had to do some Googling before I figured out where my calculations were going wrong. So you're not alone.)

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
Thought I'd give a little update on how Snickers is doing.

I was able to get him into the vet the day after I noticed him limping and having a hard time moving around. Turns out there was an ingrown nail that was causing him to limp, and he was also diagnosed with arthritis. The vet was able to trim the nail and prescribed 0.22 mL of Meloxicam daily. Since then, Snickers has been much more active and has perked up quite a bit. He LOVES his medicine (will hang onto the syringe stubbornly), and I also started giving him the Oxbow vitamin C supplement, which he also likes. At least now I know exactly how much vitamin C I am giving him via supplement.

The vet suspects he has kidney issues and recommended doing x-rays and blood work, but I've decided not to go ahead with that. I don't feel comfortable with putting him under because of his age (he will be 7 in a couple months), and I don't see the point of doing all this work just for an estimate of how much longer he has. I'd rather not know how much time is left for him, and just enjoy every minute.

For the time being, Snickers is living the good life, getting lots of love, veggies, and the best care.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the update and I’m glad to hear Snickers is doing better. I agree regarding the tests for kidney issues. The question I would ask is, if he has kidney issues what would the treatment be? If there is no treatment that would help then why test? And if a dietary change would help, then just make the change.

I had a similar situation with a older dog who had bladder cancer and kidney issues. The vet wanted to do tests and ultrasounds. When I asked how we would treat him based on the test results, the vet said there was no treatment. So I declined the tests.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
Hello! First off, my apologies for never replying, @ItsaZoo . I have been extremely busy these last couple months, and it slipped my mind. I am not sure what the treatment would be regarding kidney issues, but perhaps I should look into a diet adjustment in case that is what it would be.

Secondly, some things have changed with Snickers. After he was on the Meloxicam for a while, I began to worry about the long-term effects of it. I was recommended to use the CBD gel pen that the LAGPR promotes instead of the medicine. So I gave it a try, because I'd rather use something else that is just as effective without harming him. However, that is the problem. I do not think it is very effective...despite the fact that he does have arthritis, I have seen little improvement, although I have been applying it to his ears once per day.

I was very disappointed by this, but I don't think it is helping as much as the medication...so today I called in a refill. I would rather him live a comfortable, pain free shorter life than him live a longer, uncomfortable one.

Last month, I also discovered a lump on his side. It has grown a little, but thankfully it does not seem to be affecting him too much. I can touch it and move it around and he doesn't seem to mind. Well, he does mind, but he has always had a thing about being touched on his sides. Absolutely hates it. It is hard to tell with him. Lately I have heard him squeaking in pain a couple times, and he will bite at whatever is in his reach when I pick him up, which he has never done in the past.

I am assuming it is due to the CBD cream, but the skin on his ears started to crack, another reason I am ready to be done with it.

He is still healthy and happy for the most part. He always gets excited when I clean his cage. He will purr, run around, and attempt to popcorn (which is just a feisty head toss lol!). Loves, loves, loves his veggies! But he doesn't seem to enjoy being picked up anymore. I am thinking the older he gets the more cage-bound he will be, for his comfort.

Does anyone have advice on this situation and other methods of pain control? I do not want to take him to the vet for the lump...I don't think there is much they can do about it. I don't want to put him under anesthesia, and I don't know of anything else that they could do for him, other than up the dosage on the Meloxicam.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You stated earlier in this thread that he is six years old, and that was in May. He's coming up on 7 then, correct? If he were mine, I'd stay with the metacam. If the CBD doesn't seem to be working, then stay with what works.

You're right that they'll likely up the dosage of Meloxicam. It does have an effect on the kidneys but at his age, the long term effect is somewhat negated by the fact that there may not BE a long term. He is, after all, a senior.

As long as the lump doesn't bother him and doesn't grow at an alarming rate at his age I believe I would also just let it be. If he is sore due to the arthritis, then picking him up will likely be somewhat painful for him. Perhaps a higher dose of meloxicam will help with that.

I AM so glad to hear that otherwise he's a happy, healthy boy. I know all too well the feisty head tosses, it was Sly's trait for many years. Leo is only about 2 1/2 years old now, and all he does is toss his head and run and thump his bum when he does. The last time he popcorned, he did it so hard that he landed flat on his back with his feet in the air, looking like a flipped over turtle. I think he scared himself pretty badly doing it because he doesn't popcorn any more!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I agree, just keep him comfortable. It sounds like he's eating and feeling reasonably good, so I would just use the pain meds prescribed to control the pain as much as possible. If arthritis is bothering him, would a warm pack make him feel better?

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the replies. Yes, Snickers is seven- we celebrated his birthday in October. For now I will monitor him while giving him the Meloxicam and watch how he does. I will take him to the vet if he seems to be in more pain and I need to give him more.

The first day after I got the refill he was so peppy that morning...playing in his blanket fort, running to the hay pile and barreling into it. His antics crack me up! That is so adorable and funny that your pigs have done the same little head tosses, Guinea Pig Papa. I love hearing about your pigs and their quirks!

I hadn't thought of a warm pack for his arthritis, @ItsaZoo . I'd thought of that just for keeping him warm in the winter, so that's another reason to look into getting something like that for him.

Thanks for the support. I think I just needed to hear someone else say that I'm doing the right thing. I know he obviously won't live forever, but I am dreading the moment he leaves me. He has been my constant, always there no matter if I was having a good day or a bad day. It is crazy the impact these little creatures have on us!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I agree these little pets are so important. As you say, something to smile about every day. I got my little girl after we lost a sweet little dog. I called her my Velcro dog because she had to be right beside me everywhere I went. I was so lost without her and we weren’t ready to get another dog so soon. One cold, rainy afternoon I was at the Humane Society and saw Lacey, and the next day I was there when they opened and adopted her. She got me through a rough patch, that’s for sure.

I think you’re doing a great job giving Snickers such a good life. I hope he continues to feel good.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
Today I picked up Snickers, and immediately noticed something different about his lump. Upon observing it, I discovered there seems to be a yellowish orange scab on the outside. I think it may be a cyst or abscess. First thing tomorrow I am going to call the vet and see if they can squeeze him in. I felt bad because this morning I noticed he was sitting with his fur puffed out and I thought it was just because of the cold...then when I came home I noticed he'd barely touched his hay and pellets.

I think I'll give him some Critical Care tonight just to make sure he's getting nutrients.

Definitely came as a shocker. I thought for sure it was a tumor.

Does anyone have any tips or thoughts in the meantime?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds like a plan!

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
This morning I took Snickers to the vet for an emergency appointment, as their next opening was next week...

Vet said he was very dehydrated, and they also found a second lump in his stomach. They wanted to do x rays, ultrasounds, bloodwork, and surgery. When I asked about the lump on the outside they made it sound like there was nothing they could do about it before doing the aforementioned. That frustrated me...I don't know why they cannot stick it with a needle and see what comes out.

They gave him fluids, called in a motility drug Cisapride, and sent him home with more Critical Care and vague instructions on how much to give him per day. Said to keep Meloxicam dosage the same. I am very upset, as they didn't really give me anything new to do for him and make him more comfortable.

I decided to not do the x rays, etc., because once again, he'd have to be put under anesthesia for this and I'm not comfortable with that.

How much dry Critical Care should I give to a guinea pig that's eating some but not much?

When I got home I rearranged his cage so he has easy access to food and water, and I felt like crying with happiness when I walked in and saw him drinking water and then hopping into the hay pile for a few minutes after.

What about feeding him Critical Care at night? Should I and/or how often? And how much water should I give him if he's not drinking that much?

My game plan for now is to monitor him and see if he improves on his own.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
Today I had to let Snickers go. In a matter of hours he deteriorated. I'm heartbroken. I knew the end was coming, but I didn't know it would come so fast. I have all these guinea pig supplies, bedding, and hideys and all can think of is him when I look at them. The light in all this is that he isn't suffering from arthritis, lumps, or anything else now. And I took many pictures and videos of him...I'm going to enjoy watching those.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@LemonySnickers

I can't even say how sorry I am. Saying "I know how you feel" doesn't help. Because we all have different bonds with our pigs, and each one hurts differently. I know losing Snickers hurts more than you can bear.

You loved him so much. You gave him an amazing 7 years. And you loved him so much, you did the kindest thing you could do for him. Letting him go when he needed you to. You loved him enough to let him go.

I am crying as I type this to you. Just know how sorry I am for your loss. Rest in peace, Snickers. You are so very loved.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge, Snickers. You certainly were loved!

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
I am truly sorry for the loss of Snickers. I express my deepest sympathies for you. @LemonySnickers

Snickers, may you find friends and forage beyond the meadows filled with hay. You were loved very much, and you will NEVER be forgotten.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost Snickers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.