Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Devastated after vet visit

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My girl Cherry has been having a hard time eating lately and losing weight. I've been feeding her pellet mash and took her to the vet this morning. We thought the cause was most likely molars, so I applied and got a Care credit card, thinking a tooth trimming would be a one time thing. The vet wasn't able to see her molars, but said it's most likely the culprit. She said Cherry would need to have her molars trimmed every 6 weeks with each procedure costing over $500.

There's just no way I can afford that, even with Care credit. I can't go into debt for her. I'm probably going to have to have her put to sleep. I don't want her to suffer and I know she can't live off of pellet mash for the rest of her life, but I feel like I'm giving up on her. I'm just devastated right now.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Im so sorry.. :(

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
You could always surrender her to a rescue who are able to care for her molars in the way required, so as you don't feel entirely like you've given up on her. I think you should have an xray done to find the cause though, it may not be overgrown molars but something else dental that doesn't require constant care.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, for starters, I wouldn't take the word of a vet who "can't see the molars." There's no reason that a good vet can't get a good look at molars, and/or take some x-rays, and tell you what's wrong.

The second thing is, no way should it cost $500 to have the molars planed.

I'd look for a new vet, ASAP.

juliax0

Cavy Slave
Agreed with the posters above. At least get a second opinion of a different vet before you make any decisions. Usually vets just throw the most expensive options at you but if you keep asking for cheaper alternatives, they will probably come up with something. Also the vet says "it's most LIKELY" and couldn't even see her molars so there's a possibility it's something else. I know how frustrating it could be but don't give up! Best of luck to you and Cherry

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
I have an appointment for a second opinion on her molars with another vet on Wednesday. I really have my fingers crossed that we can do something to help Cherry.

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
me too... i just had my piggies sold on.. i understand your pain..

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Well, for starters, I wouldn't take the word of a vet who "can't see the molars." There's no reason that a good vet can't get a good look at molars, and/or take some x-rays, and tell you what's wrong.

The second thing is, no way should it cost $500 to have the molars planed.

I'd look for a new vet, ASAP.

I have a quote of like 586 for who's there, to have his molars done. I stated I would feed him mush for the rest of his life and give him pain meds for any pain.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
I had one that vet said it would cost $400 to $500 for first treatment and 200 to 300 every two weeks for the remainder of his life. And I was told he was "too big a I financial undertaking" for the rescue to take on. He was the best vet and the one used by the rescue. Costs vary by what part of the country you live. Neuter cost $300 to $400 here.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
My girl Cherry has been having a hard time eating lately and losing weight. I've been feeding her pellet mash and took her to the vet this morning. We thought the cause was most likely molars, so I applied and got a Care credit card, thinking a tooth trimming would be a one time thing. The vet wasn't able to see her molars, but said it's most likely the culprit. She said Cherry would need to have her molars trimmed every 6 weeks with each procedure costing over $500.

There's just no way I can afford that, even with Care credit. I can't go into debt for her. I'm probably going to have to have her put to sleep. I don't want her to suffer and I know she can't live off of pellet mash for the rest of her life, but I feel like I'm giving up on her. I'm just devastated right now.
So sorry.

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
So Im a bit confused. Im spudsthepigets mom. [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]: So if we have the molars trimmed down if that in fact is the problem, it always needs to be done then? Do they continue to grow like the front ones? I am guessing not since none of my pigs currently need their molars filed down. Right to assume they are growing wrong or up or sideways and that is the reason for the continuing filing of them if that is what we choose?
Any place I can read up more?
THanks everyone

lissie

Cavy Slave

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
Hmmm, interesting. So maybe the previous owners never gave her hay or enough.
Thanks lissie, much appreciated

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
That seems crazy expensive. I've never had teeth problems with my pigs, but my dogs have all had quite a few problems (mostly small dogs), and for half that amount I can get a full cleaning and teeth pulled.

ETA: I'm in Iowa too, so cost shouldn't be that much difference.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
That is quite a steep quote. My boy had the procedure done today and it was $225 including anesthetic. He also was given subcutaneous hydration and pain medication as part of that cost. Is she taking the pellet mash well? Depending on how badly overgrown they are, she might not be able to chew at all, or even properly use her tongue. At this point, she would need to be syringe fed a very liquidy pellet slurry as she would not be able to manage even softened pellet mash. Alternatively, you could get Critical Care by Oxbow to feed to her until she can have her teeth done. Depending on how much weight she has lost, she would also benefit from supplementation of the CC even after she has recovered from the procedure to get her weight restored (this is what I have to do for mine). Best of luck to you, I will keep you in my thoughts! Please keep is updated on her!

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
She's really good at taking her pellet mash. I feed it to her off of a spoon and she has a bowl of it in her cage. I know she's getting it down because I see little scoop marks in the bowl and when I feed her off of the spoon, I haven't seen her drop any from her mouth.
cherry3.jpg
She's definetly a fighter.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
After the first time she had them trimmed, wouldn't she be able to eat like normal? And then wouldn't eating like normal keep the teeth trimmed like normal? I just don't understand why she would need the procedure done that often. Good luck little Cherry!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I think she needs to see an exotics vet experienced in rodent dentistry and if the vet looks at the molars and doesn't see anything obvious teeth and jaw x-rays to see what's causing the problem. Both vets I've taken my piggies to have been able to look at their molars with an otoscope looking thingy, even on Ferb who squirms and screams. Cherry is so cute!

SamIAm

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm in the Quad Cities and I love my vets! I can give them a call tomorrow if you'd like, to get an approx quote for their cost. I realize it'd be a bit of a drive, but they're just off I80, probably 45 min or so from Iowa City. Let me know! And best of luck to little miss Cherry! Remember, where there's a will, there's a way.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
@SamIAm I really appreciate the offer :) If you don't mind, I'd be curious to know what other clinics charge. Everything seems to be more expensive here since the University campus is downtown. I go to the Quad Cities often, so the drive doesn't scare me :p It's always nice to meet more Iowa piggy owners :)

Thank you everyone for your kind wishes and helpful advice. I feel like their is hope for Cherry and that she isn't staring down the path of euthanization. I'm eager to get her in for a second opinion and see if this vet thinks she would only need one trimming or will need trimming all her life. This vet has helped us with Peanutbutter, Spuds, and Mable before, and I'm lucky they were able to get us in so quickly.

Cherry is still eating her pellet mash like a champ. I bought a Magic Bullet blender, so I've been pureeing parsley and cilantro into her mash to make it more appetizing for her. Cherry is willing to fight and so am I.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.