Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Can you feed Carabao Grass to Guinea Pigs?

Zelli

Cavy Slave
I have read some blogs that say you can feed Carabao grass to Guinea pigs. I'm asking since there is a lot of it in the Philippines (its what we have in our garden) and Guinea pigs aren't very popular in the Philippines so it is hard to find supplies and other things like Timothy hay.

Blogs I checked:

https://pets-and-stuff.blogspot.com/2009/03/dos-and-donts-of-your-common-household.html
https://keepsakecaviary.blogspot.com/p/guinea-pig-diet.html

Carabao Grass:
carabao grass.jpg

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure, I would imagine since its grass it should be fine, but i wouldn't feed it yet until someone more knowledgeable can confirm whether it's safe or not.
Those blogs you linked to are giving some incorrect information so I'm reluctant to trust them.
@bpatters @CavyMama @lissie Any insight?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Zelli, I think your bloggers may know more than we do about that grass. I've never even heard of it, so have no idea how suitable it is for guinea pigs. While I doubt that it's harmful, my only question is whether it has enough silica to keep the molars ground down. Maybe you've got some agricultural government agency that could suggest something comparable to a long strand grass hay.

claudinehere

Cavy Slave
Hi, yes some piggy owners do feed that grass to guinea pigs. Ellie and Freya's previous owner fed them that as well and there have been no problems whatsoever :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.