Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Sexing Guinea Pig

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
My two old piggies passed away a few months ago. I got a new little one which I believe is a girl, I do not see a penis at all. I want to double check to make sure before finding her a friend.

Attachments

B0E6EFAF-FD32-46FD-8B3C-F3C000CF0F3F.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm not sure, either. The Y shape looks like a female, but those bumps on either side look mighty much like testicles.

If it's a male, you should be able to feel the penis bone by putting your finger crosswise the body, right at the top of that nubbin, and rolling back and forth. If you're lucky and there's a penis there, it may extrude, but you should for sure be able to feel the bone.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
URI dosage

It’s a girl!!

I now have 3 new girls. This one and 2 others from a shelter. They went to the vet today and the two shelter pigs are being treated for a mild case of uri. They were prescribed 0.1ml twice daily enrofloxacin 22.7mg/ml oral solution. These piggies are 9 weeks old. The third piggy is 13 weeks old. Is this dosage safe?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, young pigs are not usually given enrofloxacin (Baytril) because it can stunt their growth. They usually start them off on Bactrim and then switch to Doxycycline if the Bactrim doesn't work. Baytril is usually the last resort for URi's in young pigs.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Actually, young pigs are not usually given enrofloxacin (Baytril) because it can stunt their growth. They usually start them off on Bactrim and then switch to Doxycycline if the Bactrim doesn't work. Baytril is usually the last resort for URi's in young pigs.

Should I not give it to them? I was going to give once a day rather than twice.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd call the vet and ask why Baytril was chosen and if there's a better alternative. If the pig needs an antibiotic, it's better to have a small live pig than a large dead one that died because of the infection.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
I'd call the vet and ask why Baytril was chosen and if there's a better alternative. If the pig needs an antibiotic, it's better to have a small live pig than a large dead one that died because of the infection.

I contacted the vet about the baytril and asked if we could use bactrim instead and he got upset with me that I was questioning his knowledge. He said he prescribed baytril because my one guinea pig has a pimple abscess and the baytril will work better to take care of that and the baytril will also help the other two piggies from developing a unresponsive inflammatory disease like my last pig had. He said he is being cautious as he feels the other two may have been exposed to bordetella at the shelter. He has them on 0.1ml twice a day for 7 days and it says 22.7 mg/ml oral solution on the bottle would that be a low strength enrofloxican?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The Baytril won't harm them, other than to possibly, but not definitely, stunt their growth. And since they're already past the baby pup stage, they should be ok with it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.