Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Addition! Adopted Female!

• Thread starter Guinepigmom_2.0
  • Start date

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
So hello , all !

my name is Sansa. I was adopted by my mommy today from owners who had babies!
I have my own cage, while my brothers are in their own space.
eventually I’ll be put in with them but for now I need to get comfy in my new home and mama. C526B094-10F3-47D5-90E1-B911C339F3C5.jpgMama wants to know what breed I am! If anyone knows :) mweek mweek

angelfoxdesigns

Cavy Slave
Can we see more pictures? Like fron the side to see her fur texture better? If she has rosettes all over her body she's probably an abyssinian

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't put a female in with multiple males. Even if the males are neutered, they'll squabble over the female. You have have multiple females with one male, but not the other way around.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Can we see more pictures? Like fron the side to see her fur texture better? If she has rosettes all over her body she's probably an abyssinian

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
1B806DF3-A37D-44E6-9849-14670DDF44A1.jpg

Attachments

EC94E864-1433-47DD-88FA-51499BFB70B1.jpg

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Don't put a female in with multiple males. Even if the males are neutered, they'll squabble over the female. You have have multiple females with one male, but not the other way around.

she won’t be the only female...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It doesn't matter if she's the only one. You shouldn't put multiple males in with females, whether one or many.

Are the males neutered?

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
It doesn't matter if she's the only one. You shouldn't put multiple males in with females, whether one or many.

Are the males neutered?

Currently neither are neutered.
I’m 27 years old, and it’s not like I don’t know what I’m doing.
right now the boys have their own cage, their own food, water so forth.
Sansa has her own cage as well. I don’t plan on having them all in one cage. My plan is to keep the cages next to each other. Neither have accesses to either cage. I just want them to know they exist within the spaces and they can know someone is there. The cages are in my master bedroom which I have more than enough space for mini herd!
Eventually it will be 2 females 2 males.
i have friends with same equation and they never had issues.
I clean and take care of them very well, practically buying new fleece liners and washing everything every week. Sweeping their poops everyday anywhere in their cages.
Don’t think it’s bad idea to have the female added. I’m not mixing them.
Letting her get comfy, smell the place, get used to my voice, and feeding schedules. Same as the boys.
I’m doing this process slowly and carefully.

plus adopting Sansa was smart move because the people who accidentally had the babies their kid wasn’t ready to take care of any of the guinea pigs. The parents currently are the ones doing everything for them. So I took one of the babies because I didn’t want them to surrender any of them to a shelter, especially with what’s been going on in the world.

I was very thoughtful and took me two weeks to make this decision.

i love the three of them and I’m doing everything I can to make sure the three aren’t mixed together....that being said she’s literally probably couple months old. She’s very tiny. So I’m making sure I don’t do anything to shock her or the boys.

For now they’re next to each other in separate cages . Plenty room for running!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, when you have her say "eventually I'll be put in with them," you have to understand that people will think that means you're going to put them in the same cage. If you'd said "eventually I'll be put next to them," there wouldn't have been any question about what you meant.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
So......I noticed health issues on the female baby I adopted from the people who had her originally as part of new babies...

I contacted them to find out where they got the mother to begin with....

Turns out the guinea pig they got was from a petstore. She was pregnant.

The guinea pig gave birth, to my Sansa. I adopted Sansa.

Brought her home.

Two weeks now have past, and Sansa has patch of missing fur inside her inner leg, her nose, and dry weird stuff in side her ear.....I am convinced that the petstore guinea pig that Sansa was birthed from had infections of some sort. I don't know but i am taking my new baby now to the exotic vet and have her treated.
I'm tab bit annoyed because I feel like the people who were giving the babies away for adoption didn't clue me in on how their sow became pregnant or anything...maybe i should have asked before i adopted the baby.....

I am taking Sansa to the vet...i didn't pics of the spots I am afraid of touching and handling her incase its ringworm.....>.<

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Sorry you are having health issue @guineapigmom_2.0 with new little one. Good for you for taking her into vet to get her checked out. I hope everything is OK.

I suggest to anyone who adopts another guinea pig to always quarantine the new one in a separate room for 3 weeks to watch for illness such as URI and fungal infections.

Always care for your original pigs first and then handle the newby and wash your hands between each set (even change shirts if you snuggled a sick pig). This decreases the risk any illness will be passed to your original pigs which can happen easily if they are right next to each other even if they are in separate cages.

It's just easier (and cheaper) to handle a single sick pig & treatments if it happens rather than several at the same time. Trust me, it's not easy to force feed a single pig who is ill and would be even harder to adequately do that for 3 or more at the same time.

That being said, if this wasn't how you did things, after getting your new girl to the vet watch your original pigs for signs of fungal infection or illness too and of course get them seen by a vet if they show signs.

Good luck. Let us know what the vet says.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Sorry you are having health issue @guineapigmom_2.0 with new little one. Good for you for taking her into vet to get her checked out. I hope everything is OK.

I suggest to anyone who adopts another guinea pig to always quarantine the new one in a separate room for 3 weeks to watch for illness such as URI and fungal infections.

Always care for your original pigs first and then handle the newby and wash your hands between each set (even change shirts if you snuggled a sick pig). This decreases the risk any illness will be passed to your original pigs which can happen easily if they are right next to each other even if they are in separate cages.

It's just easier (and cheaper) to handle a single sick pig & treatments if it happens rather than several at the same time. Trust me, it's not easy to force feed a single pig who is ill and would be even harder to adequately do that for 3 or more at the same time.

That being said, if this wasn't how you did things, after getting your new girl to the vet watch your original pigs for signs of fungal infection or illness too and of course get them seen by a vet if they show signs.

Good luck. Let us know what the vet says.

the cages are at least two feet apartment and I do wash my hands before handling the healthy boys.
ive nene also wearing gloves when handling the little new baby.

whats disappointing is how the people who gave her to me didn’t notify me about where they originally got the mother that gave birth to her.....

Sigh

all I can do is just let her get treated and hope for the best.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Hindsight is 20/20...all you can do is keep moving forward and get her better...then handle things as they come.

With multiple guinea pigs you will eventually run into something and then you get to become practically an expert after going through the process of getting them better.

If it's fungal, she will be ok ...it'll just take time and consistency on your part with the right medication and keeping things very clean between pigs which it sounds like you are doing.

She is absolutely adorable by the way!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.