Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Connectors How to connect to smaller cages?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
So, The two boys I rescued today will be in quarantine for a couple weeks. However, I don't feel comfortable keeping them in a single small store bought cage. I would like to connect the two cages I have so they have a bit more room. I could seperate them I know, but I would hate to have to do that! I have two store bought cages, some extra grids, and some extra coroplast from building my C&C. Ideas?!

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
Do you have a grid playpen?

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
You can ziptie the two small cages together or add grids in between to make extra room. You can make ramps for them to g between cages or just make a straight across ramp.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
No I do not have a playpen :(

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
Could you do something like this? IMG_0914.jpgIMG_0915.jpg Please do not judge my quick 30 seccond drawngs :p

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
How are the doors positioned? I have two extra-large Living World Deluxe Habitats. They sit next each other, facing opposite, which lines up the side doors perfectly. I used to have a ramp on both sides, but the girls jump up easily, so there's only a ramp on the kitchen side now. One side is set up as the kitchen, with food, water,, hay, and a shelf, and the other as a living space with toys, hideys, and a fleece forest.

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
@PiggieGuinea Would you zip tie the grids to the cages too?

@mufasa Would you post your set up with the store cages? I want to incorporate mine to my C&C cage too.

Aspecht I think you are doing the right thing to try and expand their space. The girls I adopted had been in a small cage as well which caused them to bicker and compete for space, food, etc...They are in quarrantine as well until I can introduce them to my original piggy...but I went ahead and put them in the C&C cage because I was concerned the stress of being in a new environment might cause them to get ill quicker if they are in tight quarters. I'm soooo glad I moved them into a bigger space because they are soooo much happier! They still fuss occaisionally at each other like siblings would, but nothing like before. They have their own space and can express themselves more openly...plus it has been easier to bond with them when they don't feel like they are trapped.

But I want to plan ahead and see how I can incoporate my current equipment to house all three girls if introductions go well in a week...post pictures of your cage set up!

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
@NursePiggy yes. Or however you want to fasten them.

lissie

Cavy Slave
So, The two boys I rescued today will be in quarantine for a couple weeks. However, I don't feel comfortable keeping them in a single small store bought cage. I would like to connect the two cages I have so they have a bit more room. I could seperate them I know, but I would hate to have to do that! I have two store bought cages, some extra grids, and some extra coroplast from building my C&C. Ideas?!

Depends on how many extra grids you have. Can you do something like this? Instead of one store cage at the end, you could do one at each end. Tie them to the grids with cable ties.

(broken link removed)

aspecht

Cavy Slave
No, I don't have enough left to do that :( Pretty much what the hubby and I figured out for now is basically a grid between the two cages kind of like a tunnel from one cage to the other. They haven't figured out the ramps yet, but it has made quite a bit more room for them. I have to figure out a new set up for the ramps, so they don't slide on them. I just lined the tunnel grids with coroplast. Basically one side (cage) has the hidey houses (I ended up giving them one of my pigs' since they only use one) and they came with one that I had to scrub out. The other side has their food bowls and water bottles (I have to pick up another one, since I have two in my C&C cage and the one they came with was completely unusable). I have hay in both sides.

lissie

Cavy Slave
So, you only have 1 extra grid?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I have four total, that's it. The doors are several inches off the floor. And there's only one door, which is on the long side of the cages. I don't have enough coroplast left to make a bigger add on I don't think. We just wanted to get something thrown together tonight so they had a place to sleep. We will keep working on the cage. Thankfully, it's only temporary until quarantine is over.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Can you do this? Push the store cages against the wall.

store_cage_with_grids.jpg

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Do the doors open down like this? https://www.centropet.com/centropet/images/my-first-home-medium-blue.jpg

You could clip thick towels or bath rugs on the door. They'll be fine for ramps.

This is how the doors open. I can't let them free roam as we have carpet in the living room where I keep them right now. I don't do piggy pee on my floor sorry! They get out for floor time in my kitchen daily just like my personal pigs do! I have coroplast ramps right now, But I think I may attach a towel or something to the coroplast for them to walk up! I didn't even think to try that! Would a towel give them enough traction? Their actually big enough to just jump up onto the tunnel but they seem to be afraid to. They slept in seperate sides of the cage last night so I guess they didn't figure out the whole ramp thing lol.

lissie

Cavy Slave
This is how the doors open. I can't let them free roam as we have carpet in the living room where I keep them right now. I don't do piggy pee on my floor sorry!
Do you have trash bags, extra towels, extra fleece you could put down on the floor?

Would a towel give them enough traction?
Towel should give them enough traction. I find it less slippery than fleece.

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
If they want to, they will figure it out. I have a 5" lip on my kitchen and they all get in and out just fine. They wouldn't be caught dead trapped away from their veg!

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Do you have trash bags, extra towels, extra fleece you could put down on the floor?

Towel should give them enough traction. I find it less slippery than fleece.

I never thought to use trash bags! I do have fleece and Uhaul pads I can use. I have them on shavings right now (not ideal but it's what I had at that point!). I will look into making a makeshift C&C for them then, until I can move them!

lissie

Cavy Slave
I think shavings are good for the small cages. You can keep one as a kitchen, and the other as bedroom. For the added area, uhaul and fleece over the trash bags should be good, as long as they can't get to the bags. If you set your grids and the store cages on top of the fleece, they shouldn't be able to dig it up to get to the bag.

I think what you have for them now is fine too. Since they are so new, they might not even use the open space.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.