Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior piggie meltdown

skater1776

Cavy Slave
im posting this cause i have to wait for my husband to get home

my female guinea has had issues since she gave birth a month ago, now she

wont stand up she is laying there she bites me so i noticed w.e is wrong early

now i have to wait for my husband to com home.. ugh the longest hour starts....

idk what to do im sitting her crying.... she is my first baby..

skater1776

Cavy Slave
im giving her read to help her sugar so she is moving a bit more

skater1776

Cavy Slave
*** she is like a diaetic so i she is up and moving again urg anyone advice on gunieas like that

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry I can't help! Somebody who might know what's going on with her will be along soon, I hope! sending healing thoughts to your piggy!

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
I would go to a vet. This could be a sign on pregnancy toxemia if she has been lethargic since birth. How is her appetite? Have you been weighing her? If so, how is her weight? Is she hunched up and looking in pain? Can you provide us with more information, such as age, how the pregnancy went, etc? The more information you can provide, the better. However, if you are this concerned, the responsible thing is to go to the vet.

This is just one of the many risks that are taken when guinea pigs are pregnant. Hopefully she is not/has not been placed at risk of being impregnated again.

Also, I really hope that your misspelling isn't supposed to say "bread" instead of "read". If so, please read up on proper food supplementation for your pigs. https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

skater1776

Cavy Slave
the vet near me doesnt know much about cavys
but i will go there should it get bad

she eats great,

weight currently fluxuates

currently it is: [ going to weigh]

she is now sitting normal and acting normal.

yes i gave her some bread its all i have cause i havent been shopping

i know she shoudnt eat it but its a case where it helped. i did not give much...

i dont know her age cause i got her from a pet shop.

it went well that i noticed....

she has not been around a male other then her babies

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Being a diabetic and pregnant or nursing is stressful on the body. I can't speak for guinea pigs inpertiqular but as a human gone through it all I know what it did to my body and all the extra percussion my doctor and myself had to take to ensure the whole process went smoothly and safely for both the baby and myself. It very well could be she is not getting the nutrition she needs or the correct food types to balance out her diabetes along with nursing. Though if she gave birth a month ago the babies should already be separated by gender and she should start weening.

In another post you mentioned wanting to breed this guinea pig, I would not do it. Regardless of your opinions on breeding if you breed this sow you will pass the genetics of diabetes on, your sow will suffer for it and the babies may as well. With diabetic pregnancies you have a risk of still birth, babies growing too large to pass through the birth canal, seizures, death, blindness, etc.

I'm glad that she is doing better. If she has not been acting normal though since she gave birth you need to get her check out by a doctor she could have other issues going on related to the birth or nursing and being diabetic. Poor little girl. I hope that everything is alright though.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
skater1776, that pig needs to go to a vet, and it needs to go now. It needed to go a month ago when you first noticed that she was having "issues." It needs decent food guinea pig food, NOT sugar and bread.

If her babies were born 4 weeks ago and they were males, I certainly hope you have them separated, because they're old enough to impregnate her now.

You posted several posts about wanting more pigs. Pet ownership is about far more than just wanting cute animals in your home. It's a commitment to feed them properly, house them properly, take good care of them yourself and provide good medical care, and learn about their proper care. You talk about wanting to adopt from a rescue, but no responsible rescuer, seeing your posts on here about this pig, would let you have one.

Please start taking care of this pig, and of your other pigs before you add even more to be ignored for a month after they need medical care.

skater1776

Cavy Slave
Being a diabetic and pregnant or nursing is stressful on the body. I can't speak for guinea pigs inpertiqular but as a human gone through it all I know what it did to my body and all the extra percussion my doctor and myself had to take to ensure the whole process went smoothly and safely for both the baby and myself. It very well could be she is not getting the nutrition she needs or the correct food types to balance out her diabetes along with nursing. Though if she gave birth a month ago the babies should already be separated by gender and she should start weening.

In another post you mentioned wanting to breed this guinea pig, I would not do it. Regardless of your opinions on breeding if you breed this sow you will pass the genetics of diabetes on, your sow will suffer for it and the babies may as well. With diabetic pregnancies you have a risk of still birth, babies growing too large to pass through the birth canal, seizures, death, blindness, etc.

I'm glad that she is doing better. If she has not been acting normal though since she gave birth you need to get her check out by a doctor she could have other issues going on related to the birth or nursing and being diabetic. Poor little girl. I hope that everything is alright though.

the 2 babies are not in cage with her but not seperate i really cant tell male from female with them, I DEFFINATLY dont want to breed her now... not with this happening

it seems she needs more sugar then before but i did get her when she was preg as well... ill be taking her to tampa [ 1.5 hour away] asap since they are te only placesw knowing about cavys

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Is she confirmed diabetic, or are you concluding that from the increase in sugar making her more active? If you are making the conclusion from that, then I wouldn't be convinced you have a diabetic. It could still be possible, but recurring UTIs, and frequent urination/drinking are the common symptoms in pigs.

The following link has info on GP diabetes:
(broken link removed)

skater1776

Cavy Slave
skater1776, that pig needs to go to a vet, and it needs to go now. It needed to go a month ago when you first noticed that she was having "issues." It needs decent food guinea pig food, NOT sugar and bread.

If her babies were born 4 weeks ago and they were males, I certainly hope you have them separated, because they're old enough to impregnate her now.

You posted several posts about wanting more pigs. Pet ownership is about far more than just wanting cute animals in your home. It's a commitment to feed them properly, house them properly, take good care of them yourself and provide good medical care, and learn about their proper care. You talk about wanting to adopt from a rescue, but no responsible rescuer, seeing your posts on here about this pig, would let you have one.

Please start taking care of this pig, and of your other pigs before you add even more to be ignored for a month after they need medical care.

it seems she needs more sugar then before but i did get her when she was preg as well.., i am nt ignoring her she just her first "issue" was about 3 weeks ago when i took her to the vet he said he didnt know much about them.

"It's a commitment to feed them properly, house them properly, take good care of them yourself and provide good medical care, and learn about their proper care. You talk about wanting to adopt from a rescue, but no responsible rescuer, seeing your posts on here about this pig, would let you have one."

i take good care of them i am just having one issue and at least i post here trying to learn more about what i dont know.

skater1776

Cavy Slave
Is she confirmed diabetic, or are you concluding that from the increase in sugar making her more active? If you are making the conclusion from that, then I wouldn't be convinced you have a diabetic. It could still be possible, but recurring UTIs, and frequent urination/drinking are the common symptoms in pigs.

The following link has info on GP diabetes:
(broken link removed)

the vets said to his knowledge of piggies, he'd say she is

again i am going to tampa asap

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
So, the vet that doesn't know much about cavies is the one who said she was diabetic? What was done to confirm this diagnosis?

i take good care of them i am just having one issue and at least i post here trying to learn more about what i dont know.

Good care is taking them to the vet at first sign of illness, not wanting to breed indescriminately, getting them food ahead of time so that you don't come here saying "yea, I ran out of food so piggy is eating a snickers bar and a coke for lunch", having a vet on file who you know is cavy savvy, and looking into proper care for your "diabetic" guinea pig the moment you find out.

Good care is not asking a month later, and making excuses.

@bpatters : thanks... someone had to say it, and I feel like too often now its me.

ETA: Really, you need to get to a vet. With the little information being provided, that is the only course of action. My pregnancy toxemia call was at best a shot in the dark. With how long it has been going on, it could be anything, and it could all end badly soon. A month is a long time for a pig to be sick.

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
Please get her to Tampa quickly.

And please keep us posted on her diagnosis. **Sending healing thoughts and prayers her way**

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
she has not been around a male other then her babies

Yesterday you said you let your male and female interact during floortime.

You really need to take her to a vet ASAP. I really hope that what you're saying is true and that you won't breed her. I would seriously reconsider adopting more until you can take proper care of the ones you have now.
ETA: If you want to take some clear pictures of your babies private areas we can hopefully help you sex them.

skater1776

Cavy Slave
ellissa yes they interact but cause i am packing they dont get floor time right now...

just back from vet. he said her sugar was low nthn to worry about atm.

ill take pics of them when mike gets a phone on.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
How are you suppose to prevent another diabetic attack?

skater1776

Cavy Slave
got her yogurt yummies
timothy hay:side salads

and alfaalfa hay

and bought 20lbs of pellets :)

skater1776

Cavy Slave
How are you suppose to prevent another diabetic attack?
he said

yougurt yummies a day

Edited by bpatters to add: Do NOT feed your pig anything with yogurt. Guinea pigs are lactose intolerant, and you'll only upset her digestive tract. She needs hay, pellets, and vegetables, and that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So you had time to go to Tampa to the vet and get back home again between your post at 3:25 and your post at 4:04?? My, that's quick! You must have some very rapid transportation, or you live next door to the vet.

I doubt seriously that this pig is diabetic. I believe strongly that it may be malnourished because you are not feeding it properly. And I also believe that if you continue to let the female and the male pups interact at floortime, you're going to have more inbred babies.

I'd be willing to be that you don't have a clue what the roan gene does to guinea pig babies, nor how to take care of a lethal white baby should it born alive.

You need to step up and take care of the pigs you have without making excuses about it. Nothing less than a catastrophe outside of your control is sufficient reason for not feeding and caring for your pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.