Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Old friends now enemies, please help

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
So my 2 pigs Scamp (female, spayed, 10 month) and Peeve (male, neutered, 6 months) used to be best friends, and now seem to be enemies.

They pigs started living together in one cage in October, when Peeve was about half of Scamp's size. About 2 months later (early December) I found out that Peeve was a boy, and not a girl as I had been assured, so I separated them immediately. Scamp was then spayed and Peeve was then neutered, and yesterday, after having been apart for about 2 months, I tried reintroducing them.

Scamp has always been far more aggressive than Peeve, and their initial introduction in October was a little shaky, lots of chattering, rumblestrutting and some nips, but soon tempers settled, and the pigs became great cage-mates. I think this is because Peeve was significantly smaller than Scamp, so she may have realized she didn't need to be so tough. I started the reintroduction yesterday on the floor, where again Scamp showed signs of aggression, and did lunge at Peeve twice, but no damage was inflicted. After about 2 hours they seemed pretty comfortable with each other, so I tried putting them in their old, big cage. However, once in the cage for about 20 minutes, Scamp full on attacked Peeve, ripping out tufts of fur and scaring him horribly. The only reason I could imagine this drastic change is because Peeve is now bigger than Scamp, so maybe she feels threatened? But Peeve has never ever tried attacking her or even fighting back. I didn't know what else to do except put up a divide in their cage. Peeve cowered for hours, and whenever they made eye contact through the divide, loud chattering started on both ends.

I'm pretty upset and I don't know how to go about trying to get them to be friends again. They've now been in the cage together with the divide for about 24 hours. Peeve isn't scared to approach the divide anymore, and there is a lot less chattering, but should I try combined floor time again? Will they ever be able to be happy cage mates? Please help!

mtk2000

Cavy Slave
Did you thoroughly clean the cage?
Have you tried buddy baths?
You can dab some vanilla on their noses and bums to make everything smell the same.
Also was their food in the cage for them so nibble on together? Maybe put a nice pile of veggies to share in the cage. Sorry its not much but I hope your pigs can be friends again!

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
Cage was thoroughly cleaned, and I'm not so good at bathing even one pig, I didn't really wanna risk doing both :( And yea I put a big pile of veggies down during floor time for them to share, Scamp dominated the pile and Peeve picked at the edges. I'll try the vanilla, thanks!

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
is there any detriment to giving them combined floortime then putting them back in a divided cage until i feel more comfortable with their sharing the cage freely? I feel like this could help them get used to the other's presence until I can spend a full day monitoring how they do sharing the cage without the divide. Does this sound like a good option?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You shouldn't continually introduce, then separate like that, even if they are in a shared-split cage. It's stressful for them and confuses them further as to who's dominant. My advice would be to let them live side by side with a divider for a few days, feed them veggies at the divider so they come nose to nose regularly, and see how things go from there.

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
Gotcha, thanks. So when it comes to floor time, I should give it to them separately? Or should I also divide floor time in half and let them interact through a divider on the floor too? Or do I not do floor time at all for a few days?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You could let them interact through a divider for floor time to, it would mean they're consistently seeing each other to get used to it. Don't do it together without a divider though.

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
They just won't get a along

Unfortunately my 2 pigs just won't get along (my previous thread has all the details of the situation).
Here's the link to my other thread: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/96540-Old-friends-now-enemies-please-help

I'm trying to figure out what to do now. The problem all really lies in my female, Scamp. She is continuously aggressive towards Peeve, the male, who is always happy-go-lucky, but now is scared to leave his hut. I know it is better to house in pairs, but I don't want to come home one day to a disaster, and I don't want Peeve to live in constant fear.

I'm making their cage bigger (6.5 x 2) and am going to divide it in half so they can still see each other but can't get hurt. I feel bad though because Peeve would be great with a friend, he's so friendly and happy. Should I get him a cage mate and let Scamp live alone (but let her see them through a divider)?

I welcome your advice!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Re: They just won't get a along

You could get another one. Peeve is neutered right? Otherwise they should be OK living between a grid wall where they can see each other but not hurt each other.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@VBaamonde, please don't start new threads on a topic where you're already got one open. I merged these threads.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.