Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Return of the roaches

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
I'm going crazy right now! A while back I posted that I saw a dead roach near my makeup after being gone from the house for a month. First, our house is very clean clean clean. It's well organized and not messy at all. We don't eat anywhere but the kitchen. We don't leave wrappers or anything at all around the house. Only water is allowed out of the kitchen.
A week ago the kitty killed a small roach by the back door. I thought it was nothing. Then, few days later I was brushing my teeth and I saw a tiny little baby roach crawl on the bathroom counter so I, of course, killed it. I was starting to get a little suspicious. It's the first time since I've seen a roach in a year and a half! Then, this morning when I woke up to go to school I got up from my bed and was about to unplug the charger to my ipod. Right next to the charger (by my bed) sat a black roach. It wasn't a tree roach. I'm not sure what it was, I think it was black. Not to mention i was half asleep standing there staring at it. After I killed it I walked over to my closet and saw these brown things that looked kinda clearish. I looked closer and of course... they were dead baby roaches!
I'm freaking out so much!! I HATE roaches. My room is in the middle of the kitchen and the bathroom. We've had bark scorpions come up through the drains because it was so hot outside. I don't live in an apartment, I live in a house. Where are they coming from? How can I get rid of them? I don't leave piles of things around my room. Oh and none of the roaches were german roaches. I know how germans look like.

Pig lives in my room too. All this dry food is sealed, but I think he's attracting them? There's no other cause at all. I please please please help me, I'm so freaked about it.

gertieshmertz

Cavy Slave
When I was younger and live on an army base we had really bad roaches. We also never left any food or trash around. The army ended up having to pay to store all our stuff and roach bomb the house and we could go in for like 3 months so they would all die out. My mom says once someone has roaches its almost impossible to get rid of all of them. My best advice is to kill all of them that you see, and follow the advice from this site: https://frugalliving.about.com/od/doityourself/qt/Roach_Killer.htm and make sure to keep they guinea pig food up off the ground :)

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much [MENTION=26783]gertieshmertz[/MENTION] ! :) And I forgot to mention, there was also one dead near my bedroom door on morning. I'm getting so worried!

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Raid Bug Barrier! Definitely a life saver for me, just make sure there are no animals or small children around until it dries!

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
The house I live in has an unfinished basement. It has to have a dehumidifier in it to keep from having a serious mold problem.
I did not realize at the time that a dark, dank, semi moist environment is like disney world for roaches.
Around a year ago I started to have some serious german roach issues.
I tried all kinds of stuff but had to be super careful because of the pigs.
In their room I sprinkled diatomaceous earth (food grade). It does not repel roaches but if they walk across it it breaks down their "shell' and causes dehyradation.
https://www.amazon.com/Diatomaceous...77906943&sr=8-1&keywords=de+powder+food+grade

But I did not want them in the house at all. So, I started researching. I was constantly online looking up different ways to get rid of roaches.
And I knew german roaches to be the worse to get rid of.
I read all this information about baits. So, I knew I wanted something to draw them away from the non basement area of the house.
I tried a couple of baits. I tried this Advion kind and it was like a magnet for them. I would literally find them every night eating it.
But I didn't want to see them at all. Because my basement completely creeps me out, I did not have the nerve to go down their and put down the Advion the way it needed to be.
So, I started to look for a different type of bait.
That is when I found Harris roach tablets. I scattered a box of them down in the basement. This was over a year ago. I have seen a roach 4 times since then. The last time I saw one was around 5 months ago and I put another box of the tablets in the basement and haven't had an issue since.

https://www.amazon.com/Carol-Wright...8&qid=1377906903&sr=8-1&keywords=roach+tablet

Not sure if any of that will help. I was totally freaked out by them and was determined to nip it in the bud. I have been lucky so far.

Good luck!

And to figure out how much of an issue you have, I would use glue traps or strips. Put them in different corners of house (behind fridge, under stove, corners of pigs room, behind toilet, etc) just to see how many you catch to see how heavy the infestation/traffic is.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd talk to your parents about it. If they're in your room, they're in the rest of the house, too.

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
@Kim37040 Thank you, thank you so so much! I feel so much right now! I hope it's not the start of an infestation. >_<

[MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] yes, I will tell my parents. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.