Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hiding pigloo igloo problems

Flowering

Cavy Slave
Hiya everyone

Im having piggy igloo problems im finding it's making my pigs more scared and scatty has anyone else got this problem. I tried woodstick hidey and they were more social. They came out more they saw me walk by the cage even from the hidey. Now the igloos seem to close them off from the world and they rarely come out.

What shall I do.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Get a Sterlite or Rubbermaid footstool. They had four sides open so they can lounge under there but really can't hide.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Throw the pigloos away. They're not only useless, but the pigs sit in them and inhale the fumes from their own waste. I wish it were illegal to see them.

onemors

Cavy Slave
Never had one since I got my piggies...I instead make this ones and they sim to love them it's like a lil pic a boo

starrgazerr

Cavy Slave
pigloos aren't good for them? mine loves his...

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
I used pigloos when I first got my piggies, mostly for lack of options. Over time I added a fleece forest, floating bench, and tunnel. There were still two pigloos in there, but I just recently took them out and made a hut with coroplast. The piggies seem pretty happy with it, and there's always someone hanging out in there.

20140814_122639.jpg

ThePiggiesGotMe

Cavy Slave
I didn't know for the longest time that pigloos could possibly be a bad choice. They seemed like the perfect place to hide...but I think that's their downfall. Since I took mine out, I do see my girls more. I didn't realize how much they disagreed over them too. I replaced it with a large fleece tunnel and a raised loft area they can hide under. Much better!

tweetyva757

Cavy Slave
I like ur idea... I think I may borrow it.... Is FLEECE the only kind of material to use with piggies? Is cotton or other materials toxic or just not right for them??? Thanks for sharing.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@tweetyva757 Fleece is best to use for piggies and their accessories. It's nonabsorbent, so it after it's been treated to wick, it won't soak up urine and is easy to clean. Another plus is fleece doesn't fray or unravel when cut, so it's a lot safer than cotton and other fabrics that do fray when cut :)

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I am about to get rid of the pigloo and get the step stools because Kiwi maneuvers the pigloo around to eat hay and pellets. She has gotten very lazy because of it. All she has to do is poke her head out and enjoy her food. I want her to be more part of the piggy family so she is getting a new hidey as soon as I can get to the store. I had a fleece forest that my girls loved, but unfortunately someone was eating it so I had to remove it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.