Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Super frustrated! Why cant I hold my skinny pig?

Sandra75

Cavy Slave
Im super frustrated. Ive had Guinea Pigs before. I was able to hold them all.

Now I have a Skinny Pig, I purchased mid February. I left her alone the first week to not stress her but still interacting with her, talking to her.

Ive tried to pet her, on forhead works so so, the rest forget about it. Its a chore to get her to her playpen from her cage, vice versa. So I end up using a tunnel, let her go inside and use that to get her in and out of the cage. Im wanting to badly to hold her but she wiggles like crazy.

What am I doing wrong or what am I not doing. Shes been here 1 month already. Please help!

Any tips to make her confortable?

chickpea222

Cavy Slave
I wish I had some advice, but basically it's the same thing over here with our 3. Basically none of them are comfortable being picked up at all. The littlest one runs around the cage and squeals like we are hurting her. We also end up using a tunnel for floor time transfers! For the little one, she won't get in the tunnel but I put a pigloo upside down and she climbs in when there are a few peppers in there, then I can move her. It's super frustrating to literally NOT be able to pick them up! They are finally getting better and will let us pet them (sometimes, lol), but in no way, shape, or form can we hold them, unless it's by trickery -- and even then it's only for a few seconds at most. I figure it's just "luck of the draw", and we got unlucky 3 times.

Sandra75

Cavy Slave
I wish I had some advice, but basically it's the same thing over here with our 3. Basically none of them are comfortable being picked up at all. The littlest one runs around the cage and squeals like we are hurting her. We also end up using a tunnel for floor time transfers! For the little one, she won't get in the tunnel but I put a pigloo upside down and she climbs in when there are a few peppers in there, then I can move her. It's super frustrating to literally NOT be able to pick them up! They are finally getting better and will let us pet them (sometimes, lol), but in no way, shape, or form can we hold them, unless it's by trickery -- and even then it's only for a few seconds at most. I figure it's just "luck of the draw", and we got unlucky 3 times.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one and is hilarious we use about the same methods.

How long you've had them for?

All my previous GP with hair were all calm and loved to be cuddling. My Skinny Pig ... is like yours, she will wiggle and make noise as if she's going to be murdered.

chickpea222

Cavy Slave
We got Sausage and Sparkle in September 2017, so we've had them around 7 months. We got Seven in January of this year, so 2 months. We just did the "big intro" on Sunday and they are all getting along well.

Sausage and Sparkle know the drill, it's so funny to watch. I put the tunnel into the cage and they get right in - it's like they know what's coming! Seven will run around the cage and make noises like crazy. I feel so bad, it's like she's traumatized! But eventually we get her out and she enjoys floor time, it's just really hard each time because she sounds just so pathetic running around the cage and squealing when we're trying to get her out. They rarely let us even pet them, but again, the older ones are finally settling down and let us pet them a bit. Maybe it's just going to take a while...

My poor kids (lol) just wanted a cuddly animal -- 2 cats and 3 guinea pigs later, we're still waiting for one!! lol

LaurieM

Cavy Slave
I have three guinea pigs. Two I got from PetSmart in Dec, before I knew better. (They are now 6&7 months old). They also run away terrified when we go to pick them up. One thing that helps is I have an old hand towel that I put over them. The vet said they are actually less scared if they can't see. I've recently gotten into the habit of always holding them on a potty pad even if I'm carrying them from one place to another floor time. I think they feel they have something more solid underneath them then if they're just against my body. They would also run away if we tried to pet them without picking them up. In February we got a third guinea pig, two years old from a shelter. If I just reach in and grab them he also goes to move away. However he does love to be petted. So if I pet him first and then pick him up he doesn't mind so much the only squirms at the initial grabbing which I believe is instinctive. The guinea pig expert at the shelter said some of it has to do with breeding. That the pet store breeding conditions are more stressful and the babies tend to be more fearful even as adults. However, I've also heard that younger page can be more fearful and they may become more comfortable with age. I've also been told part of its just personality. Some like to be held and snuggled and others don't.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It has nothing to do with breeding. It has to do with socialization, and the patience of the owner.

Guinea pigs are prey animals, and they're skittish. But they'll NEVER learn to enjoy being held if you don't catch them and hold them. You can shoo them into a box or a hidey, then pick them up. When you've got them on your lap, give them tidbits of yummy things to eat, even if it's just part of their veggies for the day. Also drape a light cloth over them so they're not so exposed, and turn them so they can see your face and hands. Do this a couple of times a day for a while, and I think you'll see a big improvement.

chickpea616

Cavy Slave
Great advice! Thanks!!

LaurieM

Cavy Slave
Yes, thank you!

mellieann

Cavy Slave
My two freak out and run when I go to pick them up, but once I catch them, they calm down and enjoy being petted. I've had them for a year and I've noticed lately, they do not try so hard to get away from me. I'm not sure if that's progress but, I just assumed this is part of their nature. Sometimes, I honestly think Truffles wheeks for me to pick her up because she seems to want attention, even if she runs from the hand hawk. She's so loving once I catch her and when I put her back she acts like she's content. It's confusing that she puts up so much of a run when she seems to enjoy me holding her, but I look at it like she can't help it.

Sandra75

Cavy Slave
It has nothing to do with breeding. It has to do with socialization, and the patience of the owner.

Guinea pigs are prey animals, and they're skittish. But they'll NEVER learn to enjoy being held if you don't catch them and hold them. You can shoo them into a box or a hidey, then pick them up. When you've got them on your lap, give them tidbits of yummy things to eat, even if it's just part of their veggies for the day. Also drape a light cloth over them so they're not so exposed, and turn them so they can see your face and hands. Do this a couple of times a day for a while, and I think you'll see a big improvement.

Great advice! Thank you!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.