Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sewing Machine

arionat799

Cavy Slave
So, for my birthday I am asking my Dad for a sewing machine. I have never sewn anything before, except for Ginger's cozy cup and cozy sack, which I really can't take credit for, since my friend's mom did most of the work. Oh, and a long time ago I sewed a pillow case at a class at Joann's, but that was a looooong time ago.....

AAAANNNNYYYYWAAAAYYYYSSSS......my question is, what is a good beginner's sewing machine for piggy projects? Trust me, it well get a lot of use :p

Thanks!
-Ariona :)

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much! So it's pretty easy to figure out, huh?

Cavyness

Cavy Slave
I have the Brother XL-3500, I'm pretty happy with it, although I'm not sure if it's available in store anymore.

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
You're welcome! I had my mom help me at first to get the hang of everything, but whenever I forgot how to do something the directions were helpful.

I like it a lot because there aren't like a ton of different buttons or anything and it has numbered steps on the actual machine to show you how to thread it and things like that.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Here's mine:
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)(broken link removed)Online

$139.97
Was $149.97
Top bobbin system
Heirloom stitches LCD display

This one can make some fancy little leaves and flowers in sewing stitches. I don't know how to use them yet, but one day...! It's really very nice, and works well. You can watch videos on line to learn to sew. The company provides them for free.

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
Ooh! I'm so jealous! We'd never be able to afford a sewing machine like that. I'm going to have to get mine from Craig's List or something. Feasible, but not as nice of a machine. I'm a semi-beginner, though. I do have a little experience to sewing. I think I could handle a machine... I think! :D

I'm thinking that thing might do embroidery too. Something else I'd like my machine to do. Not necessarily with strictly guinea pig gear either. I was also thinking about getting a machine to make a little pocket change sewing from home.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
You're welcome! I had my mom help me at first to get the hang of everything, but whenever I forgot how to do something the directions were helpful.

I like it a lot because there aren't like a ton of different buttons or anything and it has numbered steps on the actual machine to show you how to thread it and things like that.

Awesome! Thanks!

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Here's mine:
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)(broken link removed)Online

$139.97
Was $149.97
Top bobbin system
Heirloom stitches LCD display

This one can make some fancy little leaves and flowers in sewing stitches. I don't know how to use them yet, but one day...! It's really very nice, and works well. You can watch videos on line to learn to sew. The company provides them for free.

That looks like it's just a step of from @ILoveMillie 's. The link won't work though :( Which would be easier for a beginner?

arionat799

Cavy Slave
I have the Brother XL-3500, I'm pretty happy with it, although I'm not sure if it's available in store anymore.

I just looked it up, and by the looks of it it's only available online.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I would really suggest you save up a little, and get a nice machine, even if you have to wait a few weeks longer. New is better, since all the used ones I bought before had problems. You'll get a lot of use from a good machine, and they last a long time. I did spend a little more than I wanted, but I want to try to sell some things on Etsy so I can help out some of my favorite rescues, and support all the rescued animals I am housing right now, too.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
I would really suggest you save up a little, and get a nice machine, even if you have to wait a few weeks longer. New is better, since all the used ones I bought before had problems. You'll get a lot of use from a good machine, and they last a long time. I did spend a little more than I wanted, but I want to try to sell some things on Etsy so I can help out some of my favorite rescues, and support all the rescued animals I am housing right now, too.

Is that directed at me or @CritterLuvva ?

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I got mine at WalMart. Walked in and bought it. It has directions on the machine to thread it, too, and came with bobbins and needles.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Is that directed at me or @(broken link removed) ?

@ Arionat, LOL. It seems we are all posting at the same time. Just look around and read the descriptions to see which one you think is best.

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
congrats I know I got mine for christmas. I have only made one thing On it so far. But I see fleece liners in my future. lol

Krelean

Cavy Slave
I actually have a sewing biz for guinea pig items. I use a Viking.

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
Which one?

A lot of self sewing machines do embroidery as well. I didn't read into the machine too much, but if you look at the description, I'm thinking it might do embroidery.

Petlovr, I see your question was aimed at arionat, but I'll answer any way. ;) As nice as a good machine sounds, my concern is with the amount of "allowance" I have. I have to scrimp and save for most things, it's hard to get money out of hubby, and I can't work.

I'd also like to sell on Etsy, though. Maybe if I can make a good go of it, I'll have enough to get a better machine and money for pet expenditures. In the mean time, I've been trying to work towards stock piling every thing I need for the piggies and building their cage. I'm really hoping and praying he gets a better job soon- won't even attempt to get a living creature until I know we're situated, but in the mean time, every penny I get is going to piggy planning. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.