Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Roommates vs. Neighbors: benefits of either setup?

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

I recently introduced my guinea pigs after they spent over a year together as neighbors (with a wall partitioning them). That thread can be found here:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/117136-Behaviors-after-reintroduction-are-these-normal

After a week of observations, my girlfriend and I wondered if they wouldn't be better off as neighbors instead of roommates. The reason is that they seemed to interact with each other fine in the former setup and Magneto didn't have to deal with being the less dominant one. They both weighed more than they do now and they seemed "happier". And if you gave me the choice of:

1. I live in a bigger space but have to deal with someone who constantly chases me around, or
2. I live in a smaller space by myself and have a partitioned wall that allows me to interact with my neighbor...

I'd probably pick (broken link removed) the vast majority of the time. Is there any reason why I would keep them as roommates vs. just giving them their own space as neighbors?

Thanks!

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
Bump! Looking for some insight. Is there any reason to have 2 boars share a 2x5 vs. each having their own 2x3 with a walled partition allowing them to interact with each other in between?

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Ditto [MENTION=22436]ThePigAlchemist[/MENTION]. Even though they have been living side by side for over a year, you should still do proper introductions before you consider housing them together. Try following the instructions given here to the letter, and you may be surprised by the end results.

https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Good Luck!! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.