Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Black marking on the skin of a PEW.

SweetJo

Cavy Slave
My 2 year old female Dilly has a thinning/balding spot on her back. She has been treated for mites but the vet thinks it is self barbering. She had the same issue last summer but her hair grew back over winter.

Last year she had a small black/dark brown mark on her skin where the thinning hair was. It was about the size of half of my small finger nail. I didn't think much of it.

This summer her hair has started thinning again and the dark mark has got bigger. There is no raised area or lump.

I took her to the vet today but they didn't know what it was or seem concerned. She said we can test for ringworm but she doesn't think it is that.

I mentioned melanoma so she said we can do a biopsy but she doesn't recommend that due to the anaesthetic.

She said to just leave her as she is cause she's quite happy. She hasn't lost weight and is eating and drinking as normal. There is no red or flaky skin.

I am worried it is melanoma. Has anyone here had a pig with a similar problem?
51fbdf37968b2f12d7790986151f721c.jpg
669cfdfa183d9dac518f338d2b98c43e.jpg
5026c8253e354a6e94832db751e541ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's a classic v-sign of mites. Either that, or that lesion bothers her and she's trying to bite it with her teeth.

Melanoma in a piggy would be pretty rare, but like you, I think I'd want that lesion checked out. Are you seeing an exotic vet? Because that should be a pretty easy surgery, all things considered.

And I can't quite tell from the picture, but her ears look gray. If so, she's not a PEW. Maybe part, or all, himi.

SweetJo

Cavy Slave
That's a classic v-sign of mites. Either that, or that lesion bothers her and she's trying to bite it with her teeth.

Melanoma in a piggy would be pretty rare, but like you, I think I'd want that lesion checked out. Are you seeing an exotic vet? Because that should be a pretty easy surgery, all things considered.

And I can't quite tell from the picture, but her ears look gray. If so, she's not a PEW. Maybe part, or all, himi.
Thanks for replying [emoji4] Yes she does have some himi in her.

I probably would never have seen the mark if it hadn't been for the hair loss. I also wondered if the hair loss was related to the mark.

It wasn't an exotic vet I saw today. There aren't many in my area. I think I have found one though so I may get a 2nd opinion from them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Definitely see an exotic vet. Small animal vets treat dogs and cats, and unless they've done special education in the care of exotics, they don't know anything about them.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I had a piggy many years ago that I thought had melanoma (a very similar dark patch on a pale piggy's skin) but it turned out when I took the piggy to my vet at the time the patch was caused by mites, like an allergic hyperpigmentation. When she was treated for mites the patch still stayed, because the extra melanin remained in her skin I guess, even though the mites were gone. This seems like it could be a similar case?

SweetJo

Cavy Slave
I had a piggy many years ago that I thought had melanoma (a very similar dark patch on a pale piggy's skin) but it turned out when I took the piggy to my vet at the time the patch was caused by mites, like an allergic hyperpigmentation. When she was treated for mites the patch still stayed, because the extra melanin remained in her skin I guess, even though the mites were gone. This seems like it could be a similar case?
Ooh that sounds interesting! It does seem a coincidence that the mark is where the scratching is. I'd never have known it was there otherwise.

I have made an appointment with an exotic vet for Wednesday so hopefully I'll find out soon. I'll let you know!

Xx

SweetJo

Cavy Slave
You were right! That was the first thing the vet suggested [emoji106] She said there's no need to worry about the mark unless it suddenly gets bigger, red or raised. Phew!

Xx

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.