Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Baby VERY small?

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig, Oreo, just gave birth to four beautiful babies 4 days ago, and she had 3 big babies, but one small one. At first we thought it was just the only girl, but turns out we have two boys and two girls, including her. We call her Willow, and we are very concerned about her. She only weighs 411 grams while the others are in their 80s and 90s. Also, what she'll do is the other babies will follow Oreo, but she will stand in the corner or pigloo. She doesn't move, she just stands there, sometimes shaking. Right now, the babies are sleeping in the pigloo, and Willow is \in the entryway standing there. She's not sleeping, just standing. My mom thinks that since she's the smallest, she's just not getting a lot of milk. Please help. Thank you.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
What you need to do is give mum and Willow some alone time. This will give Willow a chance to suckle, you can either take the other three babies out or you could take mum and willow out of the cage for half an hour three or four times a day.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Is Willow all white? If so, is she missing teeth/has deformed teeth, are her eyes particularly small, does she seem hard of hearing?

It's likely you've just got a small pup, but there's a chance she's a lethal. Either way, I agree with [MENTION=24757]Soecara[/MENTION]'s suggestion in regards to milk.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Take her and mom out of the cage several times a day to give her a chance to nurse by herself. Put them in a small area, like a laundry basket, and give mom something to eat so she'll be still for the baby to nurse. GPs only have dinner for two, and the runt may be getting pushed aside by the larger ones.

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
She's gotten worse. She won't nurse, and won't eat. She can't stand on her four legs anymore, and I'm really worried. Tomorrow morning we are going to get her kitten replacement milk, KMR. My mom says she might not even make it through the night. She is extremely weak, and we have her in a separate 1x1 because her siblings and mother is walking all over her. We have a bunch of fleece in the cage to keep her warm. We also think she might be having seizures. She jerks her head up and falls onto her back, struggling to stand back up. We will be taking her to a vet ASAP. PLEASE HELP.

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
We got a spoon and we mixed some pellets and water together. She ate some at first, but then pushed it away. She is also sipping water off of a spoon. That's the only thing she takes.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
Please don't feed her any kind of milk replacement products; it's not good for guineas. Keep trying to feed her pellet slurry, you might have to force feed her. Critical Care would also be good for her. Poor baby, I hope she gets her strength back soon!

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
image.jpgThis is Willow. She lost 4 grams overnight last night

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
She's also not passing poops

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
It's normal for babies to have a drop in weight the first couple of nights, and it's not usually a problem because they gain it right back.

I'm guessing she's not passing any poop because she isn't eating. If you don't force feed her, she could go in to GI stasis which a serious emergency. It's called force feeding for a reason, you can't let her push you away, she needs food.

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
how is she now, you really do have to MAKE her eat it, even if she doesn't like it.. she may decide that she doesn't like you after that.. if she does that(my friends did - she was too scared to feed her so i took her for the first month)You just have to suck up to Willow A LOT!!! they eventually trust you again!

hopefully she won't do that with you!!

xx

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry. She was a gorgeous little girl, and you did the best you could to help her.

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
i am so sorry... i hope it was painless, i m about to get a new female piggie in a couple months, i am gonna name her after willow, she is a survivor, even if willow wasn't..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.