Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Special Needs Guinea Pig Needs A Second Chance, Manhattan, Kansas

@HappyHopperz , I am working with @Xopher today and tomorrow to look at the most likely "leg" options for a piggy train, so if any of it works out for you, let me know.

Of course @Xopher is also more than happy to drive out to St Louis. He hasn't done a road trip in awhile and I think he has itchy feet (so to speak). We're roadtrip addicts in case anyone hasn't worked that outlol

This is assuming, of course, Grace doesn't get pignapped along the way ....

@Wildcavy is going to give me a set of handcuffs so I can attach the cage to my wrist. I may have to use a secret route to return home, maybe via Alaska or something lol

It occurs to me that there are forum members in Alaska ... hmmm ... I think we could route through Cape Town, Jakarta, or Mumbai and still find people willing to run off with Grace!;)

GRACE PIG TRAIN proposed initial legs

Just want to confirm up front that we are going to get Grace even if the legs don't work out -- @Xopher and I will sort out the trip to bring Grace to her new home with us. Providing that @Hhbean lets uslol

If we do end up doing the trip on our own, I also want to reassure everyone we will break it up including an overnight so we can minimize the stress on Grace.

Overall journey: St Louis MO to Washington, DC
Total trip time: 14 hours one way
Total trip miles: approx 831 miles one way

Main route: I-70 East from STL via Indianapolis, Columbus, and the greater Morganton WV area

Suggested legs:

St Louis to Effingham IL 1 hr 45 min (102 miles)

Effingham IL to Indianapolis IN 2.5 hours (143 miles)

Indianapolis to Dayton, OH 2 hours (117 miles)

Dayton to Columbus, OH 1 hr, 16 min (72 miles)

Columbus to Cambridge OH 1.5 hours (80 miles)

Cambridge to Morganton WV 2 hours 12 min (128 miles)

Morganton to Wash DC 3.5 hours (207 miles)

*With my experience in doing animal transport trains, we always meet in a public area, and not at people's residences.*

@Hhbean , we will PM you with other details including a target date for Grace to begin her journey.

Last edited:
@Wildcavy , we can get her to Effingham IL. Grace is doing great, last night during floor time she was all over the place exploring every nook and cranny. She likes to climb and appears to have part of a goat mixed in with that abbyness! She is LOVING her fleece forest and I think hay is her favorite thing to eat!

I love hearing how adventurous she is. She is really handling all the change well. I think she knows we are trying to help her, and everyone loves her so much. She sounds like such a character. Meanwhile, I have some dog transports that are ongoing, and they would probably add a GP to the transport to get her closer. I was staring at the map, and I'd have to drive hours and hours in order to intercept and continue her journey-y'all are passing really far south of me. The dog transporters are all rescue people that have been worked with before, and are very trustworthy. Let me know if this helps, and I'll look into it. These people have animal trains across the country! It's quite amazing.

i've been following grace's adventures with interest and a twinge of envy. i wish i could be more involved, especially in the piggie train, but i'm in nj and would be of no help in getting her here. it is astounding to me to see so many people, all across the country, come together like this. i'm glad she's going to end up with @Wildcavy and her family, and i know that grace was meant for them. i'll just wait for the next special needs pig who needs a home. ❤️ give grace a chin scratch for me!

who says there going to be a piggy train. All there is going to be is a pig-napping!!:D

Hmmmm ... may have to fly into St Louis tonight, with all of the pignapping plans going on!

@Wildcavy Can't say that I blame you. If I only had the finances, I would go intercept Miss Piggy and take her right to you. (I don't know if you've noticed, but I haven't threatened pig napping! :D) If it's any consolation, and you don't already know, I'm guessing all the talk about pig napping is just stuff and nonsense any way. If they had real intentions, I don't think they'd be broadcasting. :D I'd love to meet her one day, though.

No worries, I'm pretty sure it's all in jest ... right?:silly: Seriously, looking at Grace's pix and reading about her antics, who wouldn't want to have her join their family?:)

too bad i would love to keep her. who woulnt want a sweetie who purrs the whole time your petting her and loves to be held, never shy.

@Hhbean, honestly...feel free to make anything you like out of the fleece! I am just happy that she has learned to love it. I was afraid we would be a Carefresh pig forever!

@Wildcavy & @Xopher, good luck getting her!!! Sounds like you are going to have to stay on top of the train members lol. I am so glad she is loving her floor time and is really starting to come out of her shell. I was worried that she would be as timid with new people as she was when I first brought her home. So happy to hear that she is learning to trust and love people again!!!

But in all seriousness....she can't be pignapped!!!! She has a star-crossed lover waiting! :love: She has to get home so she can meet her boyfriend! :) It would break his heart if he never got to meet her lol!

If anyone can get her to Indianapolis in the next few days, I can get her to PA. I'm driving from Indy to CT to get home from the Indy 500. I'm planning on driving Thursday to OH and spending one night there and then driving to CT the next day through PA.

One option is to meet @(broken link removed) & @(broken link removed) somewhere in PA or drop her off with another member in OH or PA until @(broken link removed) & @(broken link removed) could pick her up. I'm on vacation for the week so my schedule is a little flexible.

I would really like to help but didn't jump in the thread until I was sure that I was actually able to help. Let me know and PM me if you want my email/phone number so we can talk specifics.

Thanks @lemonham hopefully there will be somebody that can meet me in Effingham, IL and get her to Indianapolis, IN before you leave. Grace is doing great but the sooner she leaves the safer she will be from a piggynapping:D!

If anyone can get her to Indianapolis in the next few days, I can get her to PA. I'm driving from Indy to CT to get home from the Indy 500. I'm planning on driving Thursday to OH and spending one night there and then driving to CT the next day through PA.

One option is to meet @(broken link removed) & @(broken link removed) somewhere in PA or drop her off with another member in OH or PA until @(broken link removed) & @(broken link removed) could pick her up. I'm on vacation for the week so my schedule is a little flexible.

I would really like to help but didn't jump in the thread until I was sure that I was actually able to help. Let me know and PM me if you want my email/phone number so we can talk specifics.

@Xopher and I would be able to pick Grace up in Pennsylvania (anywhere in PA) on extremely short notice, pretty much would just need the amount of time that it would take to drive there. So if it does work out that @lemonham is able to get Grace from someone in Indianapolis, we can meet you somewhere in PA around your schedule.

We'd like to pick her up this week, anyway! Picckalo is getting restless! :*)

I've PM'd everyone involved. If no one else offers to drive her to Indy, I'll pick her up from (broken link removed) on Wednesday and deliver her to (broken link removed) on Friday in PA.

All of you are so awesome for helping out this way!! :D ❤️

We are so excited and happy that I cannot even begin to describe it!!!

I just wanted to let you all know how sweet Grace is, she let Daniel pick her up! Huey is our only other piggy that Daniel can pick up by himself, due to his vision. She will just come over to him and sit there so he picked her up and snuggled her for a long time. We are already starting to miss her and she hasn't even left yet! We may need to have people on the piggy train sign a contract stating they will not keep her for themselves:D!

Last edited:
I'm still willing to help. I'm in NE PA, about 1 hr NE of Philly. Is there anything I can do to help? I can pick her up in anywhere in PA, and get her closer to you, (broken link removed). I promise not to pignap her! LOL (Actually, I'm getting a new bunny in about a month!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.