Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Dandruff...lice...mites.... Or what?!

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
Hi, long time no talk.

Today I noticed that Zora has what seems like dandruff all down her back. I'm not sure if her sister Luna does thought because she is white.
I looked on Zoras skin but didn't notice any red skin or bumps.

What could be causeing the dandruff looking stuff on her? Is it just dry skin or something much worse like lice or mites?

Im just 16 so anything without my parents approval to buy or take them to the vet(which is very expensive in my area) can't be done without them.

Ever since I got them in August 2014 when they were 4 weeks, they have always spazzed out when being touched by the leg area and I read somewhere this is a symptom of a paracitic infection. I really hope not thought. Also both their hairs fall out when being held or touched.

I would really love some advice with this.
thanks

Attachments

image.jpg

yubie

Cavy Slave
I am not a vet, but my suggestion is that you elicit the help of your parents in treating this. Some things can be transmitted and infect human and then there is not only the vet bill, but your doctor bill as well. There are items at the pet store that deals with mice and lice for guinea pigs. Use discernment! Ivermectin I heard was good, but you need to do a couple of treatments. You should take to a vet because the dose is calibrated by weigh. You can get a small bottle of Dr. Ben's Evictor on amazon or Ebay for about $23 that can be used. It is a natural product that can be used to thoroughly clean the cage and surrounding area.
Hope that this help and good luck.
Oh, also look up the site 'guinealynx" for this condition. https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@littlepaws1999, are those things stuck to the hair shaft, or do they just flake off if you flick a finger at them?

How much are they scratching?

If you look carefully through all their fur, can you see any bugs moving?

Once we've figured out what they've got, you can treat it yourself.

[MENTION=34745]yubie[/MENTION], people depend on this forum for accurate advice about their pigs. You're new here, and it would be better if you didn't give medical advice until you have more experience. Recommending something you "heard was good" isn't the proper way to address a medical problem.

We do NOT recommend any kind of sprays for guinea pigs, and it is perfectly possible for her to treat this herself without the expense of a vet. She does, however, have to determine what the problem is, so if you were going to recommend she read GL about mites, you should also have recommended that she read about lice and fungus.

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
@bpatters the white specks are easily able to be flicked off. So they aren't stuck to the hair.

They don't scratch very often, not that I see anyways. Here and there they scratch, but everyone gets an itch sometimes right.

I just took them out for a few mins each to examine them under a lamp, but I can't see anything moving. As I mentioned in the first post they are a bit touchy by the legs so it was a bit difficult to look there but still didn't see anything. I had a good look through their rosettes and through the other hair parts but nothing that moved caught my eye.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Take a look at this and let me know if you think it looks the same. If you've got a magnifying glass, you might want to take a very close look at the bits in your pig's hair.

https://www.guinealynx.info/furmites.html. If this is what it is, these are the only visible mites you'll find on guinea pigs.

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
Well the description to the "walking dandruff" fits but without any scabs on them yet.

The picture is not what I see on them though as nothing is attached firmly to their fur.

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
Also forgot to mention that i do actually get itchy around my neck for a few mins after holding them

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ivermectin will kill almost any parasite. The two kinds that are easiest to use are the 1% injectable (it can be given other ways than by injecting it) and the .5% Durvet pour-on. Either one is available from www.tlpmarketplace.com, Amazon, or Valley Vet. If you'll post the strength of the type you buy, we'll help you figure out the dosage.

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
Okay I'll look into it in the morning, as its night where I am right now.

Would horse ivermectin be able to use or is it best to order it online? I have two retailers which sell horse supplies and sell it in their store. This is the link to one store (broken link removed) the other one has exactly the same stuff.

would you recommend I take them to the vet as well or do you think treating with it at home with be alright? If it happens to turn out to be anything other than what can be cured with ivermectin would it severely hurt them?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Ivermectin is marketed for livestock and yes, you can pick some up at a farm supply store.

No need to take your pig to the vet. Treating for parasites even as a precaution at home is fine. Just make sure the dosage is correct. It's done by weight.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can treat with ivermectin yourself. But the horse stuff is the hardest to use, because you have to dilute the heck out of. One tube will treat a 1200 pound horse, so it takes a lot of dilution to get to a strength that' safe for a guinea pig. You can order the other stuff from Amazon and have it within just a couple of days.

yubie

Cavy Slave
Hi, long time no talk.
Today I noticed that Zora has what seems like dandruff all down her back. I'm not sure if her sister Luna does thought because she is white.
I looked on Zoras skin but didn't notice any red skin or bumps.

What could be causeing the dandruff looking stuff on her? Is it just dry skin or something much worse like lice or mites?

Im just 16 so anything without my parents approval to buy or take them to the vet(which is very expensive in my area) can't be done without them.

Ever since I got them in August 2014 when they were 4 weeks, they have always spazzed out when being touched by the leg area and I read somewhere this is a symptom of a paracitic infection. I really hope not thought. Also both their hairs fall out when being held or touched.

I would really love some advice with this.
thanks

I apologize for the information that I have given you, but I did not instruct you wrongly or with bad information. Have your parents read this whole section/conversation and I think they will agree. I did inform you that I was not a vet. I do have a medical background as many on this site have. You do not need to have one to be knowledgeable. I am new to signing on to this site, but have been a frequent visitor for several years as well as other gp site which are numerous. I use the word discernment and that means to use judgement after taking in the understanding of what is being presented to you from others (precisely:the faculty of discerning; discrimination; acuteness of judgment and understanding.) You stated that you were 16 so I suggested that you involve your parent with this call. I never had to use Ivermectin as I feel that there are other options that are out there. Look up on this very site earlier answers to your very exact question. I had to go back but ... @Princess_Piggie and @Guinepig had some very good advice as well. Scroll to the top, I think, and put in mite etc and a wealth of information will pop up on this very site.
Again I apologize for responding, but there were no response and I thought that I could give you food for thought with the information that you gave while you wait for others to respond. BTW, the suggestion for the Dr. Ben was stated as a natural product to cleanse your cage and surrounding area in killing parasitic infestation of a broad range. It can be used on carpet, your bed if the gps are in your room, etc. Again, use discernment and your parent guidance.

https://www.happycavy.com/guinea-pig-mites-outbreak-and-treatment/
(broken link removed)
https://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/exot...inea_pigs.html

Lastly, as several of the above sites, links that was mention to you by other and is posted all over the internet that you should use a vet in the diagnosis and treatment of mites/lice/fungus. Also in using Ivermectin. Do you have to elicit a vet to treat the condition.....I didn't and was successful. I totally agree you do not have to and there are product at the store as mention in my reply. There are information and expert on this site that might can help you. @ CavyMama has information on a site that have product that also treat the condition. I used an alternative method that was suggested and researched and I discern that this was the better route for me and it worked. Because of the sensitivity of my household I significantly control the likes, insect, bugs, certain germs, bacteria in my home with one of the product I suggest.
Just want to apologize to you personally as no ill intent was meant and no wrong information was given to you.

Last edited:

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I would say it is erroneous to advise in a blanket statement that you can get things to treat mites and lice from a pet store. While that statement is true it is also true that many products sold in pet stores for that exact purpose are ineffective and/or dangerous to apply to a guinea pigs. Most don't even have a dosage guideline, in theory too much of anything could kill. Why would they sell and market it towards guinea pigs it if it is dangerous to guinea pigs? Profit.

The thing to take into consideration is if the product is safe if they were to consume it because guinea pigs groom themselves and will likely lick and ingest anything you use on/around them. It is also good to take into consideration if the product has even been tested on guinea pigs (you would be surprised how many have not - or how many that have and have very damaging side-effects but are sold anyway). Some do have ingredients that are both safe and effective, but in concentrations not strong enough to completely deal with the parasites. While many products might be natural that does not mean it is safe for them to consume (after all I can think of a bunch of toxic natural substances), nor does it mean that it will actually be effective.

We often recommend ivermectin to treat mites/lice because it is known to be both effective and safe if dosed correctly, even if ingested, so long as the guinea pig weights more then 340 grams. It is also quite easy to attain and use if you get a weaker concentration.

Yes in ideal circumstances you would go to a vet to have them do the treatment, but given that ivermectin needs to be re-dosed every week for at least three weeks the vet bill adds up quickly for something you are capable of doing yourself. I always recommend that if a person sees a vet for mites/lice ask them to treat it with revolution as that only requires one dose, meaning only one vet trip.

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
@yubie there is not reason to apologize. I understand that you were trying to help. Yes I am 16 but I probably know a lot more about medications and care for animals then most my age do (I want to become a vet). I have talked to my mom and she is more considering just taking them to the vet because she is worried about misdiagnosing them and hurting them. Once again I realize you whated to help.

[MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] my mom is considering at least talking to the vet and seeing what she recommends, and if we can get ivermectin from her without seeing them. I am going to wait until tomorrow (Monday) to order it online if we dont get treatment from the vet. I understand that with the mites I should act quickly but I just have to just wait one more day to do anything.
[MENTION=24757]Soecara[/MENTION] and thank you for the recommendation for revolution.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no big hurry. The pigs have survived this long, and will undoubtedly survive longer.

The vet will most likely not​ prescribe ivermectin without seeing the pigs, but it's fine to treat them yourself. Have your mom take a look over at Guinea Lynx -- it's the premier medical site on the web for guinea pig care, and a LOT of organizations, including vets, link to it.

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
Well today My mom booked an appointment for the vets. Even after multiple times of telling and showing her websites and information, she has decided that instead of me trying ivermectin to just bring them in.

Do you by any chance know how they could have caught something like this? Did it come from hay? Because they haven't been outside as here in Ontario, it's just started to get warm out but not warm enough that I feel comfortable to bring them out. If you don't know I can always ask my vet :)

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
So the vets this afternoon went well.
She tried to find mites under a scope after getting a sample of skin/fur using clear tape, but could not find any. She said that it may still be mites even though she could find any or it could be caused from changing of the seasons, and with their hair shedding their skin got very dry.
Either way she gave me some revolution (she always uses it instead of ivermectin) for kittens and told me how much to give. When I got home I gave a dose of 1ml for each. She also said to monitor them and after one month I can come back in just to pick up another dose to give. Because I also have a degu so she recommended I give him 0.3ml to be on the safe side as he might have been the one to give them to them through contact with me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.