Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits I found my giant Flemish bunnies!!

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
I'm very happy after a long search I finally found some young babies who will be ready in five weeks! They are not 100% sure but they believe they have two girls and a boy. I will take either two girls or a boy and a girl because they will be altered anyways

here's their first pictures they sent me I get to visit them in 2/3 weeks and out a down payments on them. I'm defiantly taking the white/grey one and I like the brown one of the farthest left in the picture of all three.

I know I was talking to [MENTION=19358]Inle_Rabbit[/MENTION] however I have three ideas for cages so far, they will only be in when I am at work I only work part time so five hours :)

idea (broken link removed) is a C&C but I'm not sure it could hold them up it would have wood bottom and three story.

idea (broken link removed) https://greatk9.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/dogCrate.jpg

idea (broken link removed) is either a custom rabbit hutch can be built or something like this https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/4FT-Cheap-Outdoor-Wooden-3-Floors_636718852/showimage.html

also if I can have some designing ideas for rabbit cages that would be very cool!

Attachments

image.jpg

lissie

Cavy Slave
Is that a breeder?

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
@lissie I do not believe so since I had an ad up and they contacted me. I try not to buy from breeders. It's really really hard to find Flemish rabbits and I looked for a long time for someone who doesn't breed them and these people seem very honest.

lissie

Cavy Slave
The fact that these are babies and you have to put money down to reserve them make me think they are breeder.

What did they tell you?

Have you consider other breeds of bunnies? There are so many bunnies in shelters.

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
Hmmm they haven't really told me I had to put money down for them but I figured I would since they are very kind and sending me updates and letting me visit them when they are older. I got email saying they had three Flemish babies they were willing to sell me they are two weeks and will not be ready for another 5 weeks and they would keep in touch with me.

I have considered other breeds but my heart seems set on the Flemish giant I had two lion heads prior and when I was doing rabbit research on them I came upon this breed and fell in love. I'm now able to open my home too more rabbits and I took a very long time to search I didn't go with any adds that have multiple bunnies or anything that looked like a breeder and since these seem to be the only babies they have I'm hoping they are not.

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
@lissie

oh and note I did notice when I asked for photos they didn't have any to show me they had get them for me... I don't know but to me someone who's looking to sell their bunnies fast would have an add up which they don't and pictures all ready. I don't know I'm just not getting a bad vibe from them yet. I'll ask more questions though just to be sure!

lissie

Cavy Slave
I would probably ask them how they ended up with babies.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Flemish giants get... remarkably large. I imagine you'd need much more space than the largest of dog crates or the hutch in the last link. Have you thought about a pet pen/x-pen style cage?

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=22877]stray hares[/MENTION] Yep I have but it's very important that there's a lid on them because of our cats, three were street cats and have very big prey instincts. I will keep looking I'm hoping to give them free range other then when I'm working :) I'm just lacking a little space in my room because my 3 story 2 by 6 custom hutch I had built for my guinea pigs. How much space would you recommend for a Flemish? I'm defiantly willing to learn and try and give them the best space possible :) I would like something square but I can always fit a round one in the corner :)

Last edited:

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
It seems from what you have posted, as far as cage ideas, you're able to get a regular size rabbit unless you can make a large C&C cage. I believe from your previous post [MENTION=19358]Inle_Rabbit[/MENTION] had already given you some ideas for cage size.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
@lissie I completely agree, the down payment is something that a breeder would require.. I've never met or heard of someone who isn't a breeder requiring a down payment.
[MENTION=31797]GPMommy[/MENTION] How old are they right now? Just asking because you said that they'll be ready in 5 weeks, and baby rabbits aren't supposed to be separated from mom until 8 weeks.
[MENTION=22877]stray hares[/MENTION] Oh yes they do! The rescue I work with has 3 flemish giants-- the smallest (and oldest) being 14lbs.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
No problem we all want to be the best owners to our fur babies. That cage looks much more suitable for the rabbit(s) you are wanting.

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
No problem we all want to be the best owners to our fur babies. That cage looks much more suitable for the rabbit(s) you are wanting.

Thank-you I'll decently get started on it right away :)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Like the others have said, I'd ask how they happened to have babies as it appears to be a breeder and it wont hurt to ask.

We took in 5 feral cats...all catch wild birds, wild mice and wild rats but if they even think about the buns...Alice chases them around as she is big and not to mess with. She's an NZ White (I've also got an Angora), so isn't as big as a flemish. But I really feel that Flemish Gaints need ALOT of space....And basically should be free-range house buns.

I wouldn't feel that a 3x6 would be big enough for two flemish giants...for a normal bun I feel that a 2x6 is just big enough but then I'm one who prefers free-range buns, but saying that we've currently got one bun in the rescue who's cage is in a dog run (that is about 5x6 in c&c size) with a kennel attached.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Sure sounds like a breeder to me. Someone rehoming an accidental litter is not going to ask for a down payment. I wouldn't do it.

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
I'm only looking for a place to keep my bunnies well I am at work eventually when they are fully litter trained and older I will be giving them free-range all the time in my room since I only have a bed and dresser and my custom built guinea pig hutch.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I don't think you will need to worry about cats and Flemish giants. Your rabbits will more than likely out weight the cats by 5+ lbs and be physically bigger.

The ad does seem like the person bred these bunnies on purpose especially since they have already sexed them and it is difficult to sex rabbits that young if you don't know what you are doing.

The largest rabbit I have had was a Californian. He was 15# and he was plenty big. I kept him in a large dog kennel only at night. He was given complete free range otherwise. I personally would not plan to cage any rabbits as large as Flemish giants and with two diffidently not.

I'd also caution on getting two so young and of different sexes. Typically rabbits are not ready to be fixed until they are 6 months old when they are considered physically mature while they reach sexual maturity around 3 months of age. With Flemish Giants and other giant rabbit breeds physical maturation doesn't happen until much later anywhere from 8 months to a year. I don't know if a vet would want to wait or what is safer in this case. You would need to speak to an exotic vet, hopefully one that has done many rabbit neuters in the past.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave
Although this may be small, they have this in ALCO ( a small chain store near me ) I thought it looked quite cool!(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.