Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece fleece and shavings?

maria33

Cavy Slave
hi, i'm switching to fleece and i've been reading so much about it. would i be better off to use all fleece with cuddle cups, or to provide a kitchen area with huts and shavings (and will this track in a huge mess?). the rest would be a huge fleece play run. i am also going to have a separate hay room because they love to burrow through it. thanks for your help;)

realityDroid

Cavy Slave
Depends. I just do all fleece because of the price difference between fleece and everything else in the long run. But if you've got the money to replace the shavings when needed, then go for it. However, there may be a mess getting dragged out onto the fleece. Kinda just how it goes.

arod18007

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I do all fleece but have a small kitty litter box that I put shavings and hay in. I notice the pigs use that area for bathroom a lot, which helps with the upkeep. Could be an option for you as well.

maria33

Cavy Slave
thankyou, i'll give it a trylol

Swiss cheese

Cavy Slave
I have part fleece, part shavings in a very large cage. But the shavings are all over the fleece, which is a bit annoying. You could put hay on top of the shavings to keep them from being ditributed all over, but then it gets smelly a bit sooner.

Lovely_Weekers

Cavy Slave
I use a cat litter box in my cage with shavings in it, which is where I keep hay and food. The bedding still goes on the fleece a little, but just at the opening that I cut in the litter box, so I just sweep it up daily and its no big deal.

Piggy_

Cavy Slave
I use fleece in the cage, and shavings in a litter box. To stop the shavings going everywhere, I add a layer of shredded paper on top, which works well :)

Swiss cheese

Cavy Slave
I use fleece in the cage, and shavings in a litter box. To stop the shavings going everywhere, I add a layer of shredded paper on top, which works well :)
Do you shred the paper yourself? Or are they special paper shreds?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.