Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Want to adopt.. need to move first!

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
So, there's this lone piggy girl at the local shelter and I reeeally want to adopt her but I really can't right now.. I move in a week and don't move into my new place until 2 weeks from now! I just hope she's still at the shelter in a couple of weeks. I wouldn't be able to quarantine her because I'm staying with a friend with limited space... ugh idk. I'm just frustrated.

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Can\t you put a hold on her? Will the shelter do that? Do they know you?

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure... I should probably call and see. I have adopted there before though so maybe that will help.

I'm mostly worried b/c I'm afraid she may be euthanized before I can get her.

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Then I would for sure call them in the morning..

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
Do you know anyone who would be willing to house her for now until you get your place?

MrsSuzy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hope you are able to reserve? Here in UK most rescues let you do that :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I would ask if they could keep hold for you, I'd even pay for her if you have to and ask if they could quarantine her for the waiting time.

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
I will call when they open... but I have a question. If she has been living alone at the shelter do I still need to quarantine?

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
So.. nevermind I guess. I called my new apartment management to confirm that I can have 3 piggies and they said I can't... I'm reeeally sad now. Ugh

MrsSuzy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Oh no!!! So sorry about that :sad:

Can you look for somewhere else or isn't there any other options?

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
Well I've already signed a lease knowing I can have the 2 piggies I have now. I wanted the 3rd girl so I called to see if that is ok and they said that the max. is 2... I just hope she can find a good home!

gertieshmertz

Cavy Slave
I see you live in Kansas. Would this shelter happen to be anywhere near the ks/mo border? I live on the Missouri side, and I've been wanting to adopt another gal, and would love to see if I can help this girl out :)

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
I see you live in Kansas. Would this shelter happen to be anywhere near the ks/mo border? I live on the Missouri side, and I've been wanting to adopt another gal, and would love to see if I can help this girl out :)

It's in Manhattan, KS. So if you're in KC then that's about 2 hours away. Sorry it's not closer, but perhaps it could still work out! It's the T. Russell Reitz shelter.

gertieshmertz

Cavy Slave
What's her name?! It's only 33 miles away from me!!!! I was just looking at their petfinder stuff earlier. Do you know her adoption cost? I just got excited! Lol

gertieshmertz

Cavy Slave
somehow my first google search came up 100 miles less than it actually is. Now I just got really sad.....

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
She doesn't even have a name :( it's so sad. Here's a link to her: (broken link removed)
I hope you end up getting her! I know she's been there awhile. They also have 2 males that were tossed out of a car. I SO wish I could have more than 2 piggies! This is a link to their site: (broken link removed). I have only ever adopted a mouse through them before, and the adoption fee for her was $15 so I'm sure it wouldn't be too much.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Are they a high-kill shelter?

Do you think they would do an out of state adoption? I live in Iowa, but I could probably take her as it seems it may be an emergency situation.

Last edited:

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
Are they a high-kill shelter?

Do you think they would do an out of state adoption? I live in Iowa, but I could probably take her as it seems it may be an emergency situation.

I actually have spoken with them and they are not high kill from what it seems. They try to cooperate with the rescue in town. The rescue fosters out animals, so usually what will happen is they try their best to find fosters for animals before resorting to euthanasia. I don't think it's necessarily an emergency, but I just really want this girl to find a home ( I want every animal to find a home of course!).

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I actually have spoken with them and they are not high kill from what it seems. They try to cooperate with the rescue in town. The rescue fosters out animals, so usually what will happen is they try their best to find fosters for animals before resorting to euthanasia. I don't think it's necessarily an emergency, but I just really want this girl to find a home ( I want every animal to find a home of course!).

Well would you be willing to keep an eye out and check in with the shelter on her and those boys? If it becomes an emergency I'll be willing to take them. Manhattan is about 5 hrs from me. I would have to go through KCMO so if Gertieshmertz still wants the girl I could drop her off. If the shelter would allow that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.