Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding I have some questions about fleece and bedding. :D

dakotaw

Cavy Slave
Ok, so, I'm trying to convince my parents to let me get a guinea pig. BUT, I think one of their concerns is the smell. :) Does fleece help with the smell? Or should I use something else? And do gel air fresheners work? It will probably ruin my chances of getting a piggy if the cage smells so please help! :) Thanks!

SarahS

Cavy Slave
First of all, Guinea Pigs don't smell like people think. If you actually pick up a Guinea Pig and take a whiff of them, they really don't smell. The only time animals smell is when the environment that they live in isn't kept clean.
In order to keep the cage smelling good, you will have to spot clean it every day and wash the fleece in the washing machine at least once a week and probably more. A lot of people use wood shavings and similar things because they don't start to smell as quickly as fleece does, but it is better for the Guinea Pig if it is kept on fleece, they tend to have less health problems and tend to popcorn more.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I completely believe fleece helps with smell. As [MENTION=23153]SarahS[/MENTION] said, it's important to spot clean daily. I use a mini broom and dust pan and sweep up the poos daily. I also have a medium cat litter box with some bedding (I use Back2Nature: (broken link removed)) and a big pile of hay on top. They usually go to the bathroom where they eat, so that helps to deal with some of the pee and poop. Daily you should remove any wet/dirty hay and you might want to spot-clean the litter. I wash my liners weekly, but it does start to smell by the time it gets to cage cleaning day.

You must use plenty of absorbent material underneath the fleece. The easiest thing for most people is bath towels (2 layers) underneath a piece of fleece (I bought mine at Fleece Fabric By The Yard: Highest Quality Fleece At The Lowest Prices Online) cut to the size of your cage. One thing I really like is using liners. They are made with fleece and absorbent fabric sewn up together into one piece. It makes it much easier to clean the cage when it's all one piece.

Hope this helps!

jeanne12

Cavy Slave
Hiya I live in England UK, it seems a lot of cavvies on here are in the states and other far away places from me here. Ive got 4 guinea's 2 x19 week old girls and 2 babies x 4 weeks old. Ive noticed that over in other countries you use totally different bedding than we do here. I use Hay lots of HAY which they love and is very good for them its comfortable, a vital roughage, and keeps their continuously growing teeth in trim. and you can use newspaper on the floor of the cage it does no HARM to guinea's as they like to have a chew the same as they love to play and chew the inside cardboard of tiolet rolls. and hay(lots and lots of it on the top makes alovely warm bedding and with all the additional benefits as well where as ive seen on here people use totally different beddingtHE BOOK BY PETER GURNEY IS VERY GOODHETRAINEDWITHCAMBRIDCAVYTRUSCAVYTRUST.

dakotaw

Cavy Slave
Thanks! You guys have been really helpful!:D

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Hiya I live in England UK, it seems a lot of cavvies on here are in the states and other far away places from me here. Ive got 4 guinea's 2 x19 week old girls and 2 babies x 4 weeks old. Ive noticed that over in other countries you use totally different bedding than we do here. I use Hay lots of HAY which they love and is very good for them its comfortable, a vital roughage, and keeps their continuously growing teeth in trim. and you can use newspaper on the floor of the cage it does no HARM to guinea's as they like to have a chew the same as they love to play and chew the inside cardboard of tiolet rolls. and hay(lots and lots of it on the top makes alovely warm bedding and with all the additional benefits as well where as ive seen on here people use totally different beddingtHE BOOK BY PETER GURNEY IS VERY GOODHETRAINEDWITHCAMBRIDCAVYTRUSCAVYTRUST.

I disagree with using hay as bedding. It doesn't absorb well and moist hay doesn't smell very good. I rather keep my hay in the hay racks.

Fleece is great, and I think your parents will be pleased with the overall savings of using it [MENTION=23240]guineapigluvv[/MENTION]

dakotaw

Cavy Slave
Fleece is great, and I think your parents will be pleased with the overall savings of using it @(broken link removed)

Thanks so much, MissJean!

jeanne12

Cavy Slave
Hi although i use hay for bedding they still have a hay rack with lots of hay to eat.

jeanne12

Cavy Slave
Help.How do I upload photo's on here,as im a newbie I don't quite know how to do it.many thanks

CinnandMegsMom

Cavy Slave
Ok, so, I'm trying to convince my parents to let me get a guinea pig. BUT, I think one of their concerns is the smell.

I think smell is in the eye of the beholder. I started out with wood shavings and crittercare paper. One GP quickly showed signs of bumblefoot. I've changed to fleece and will never go back to anything else. Alot of GP parents have their own routine. I change my fleece, towels, hay, water, food, critter paper everyday.

Strongly consider your comment before you purchase. Housing, food, fresh vegies, hay, vet care when needed. Dollar wise it all adds up quickly. If you choose to be a GP parent for the next 5+ years congrats!

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)@ news pepper isn't a good source of bedding even if its under the hay. the ink is bad for them and when they pee on it, it runs.

lissie

Cavy Slave

A lot of people in the UK use fleece too, or vetbed. Hay and newspapers are not that absorbent, so you'll have to replace them more often than other bedding.

Cavy_Pal

Cavy Slave
Im in England and use fleece, towels, correx. I find that putting an extra layer under the bed/pigloo and changing this more often keeps the smell away.

jeanne12

Cavy Slave
Yes thanks, I clean my piggies toilet area every day and the rest of the cage evry other day,now we are having very hot weather here in england(for a change as we have had rain,rain and more rain and not very warm either) but now its warm I put my babies in their run with a sheet on the roof of the run as the sun is so very hot I don't want them to get burnt. particulaly their ears, as they have no fur on them. They love the freedom and fresh air,its so nice and Entertaining watching their antics. Rosie's babies are 5 weeks old now and Rosie and Sally are 5 months old, they love playing Its better than watching the Television.When my 3yr oldn Grandson comes to see me ,he runs straight to the fridge to get them a carrot!! he loves them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.