Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want to introduce myself!!

Walsh59

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I joined this forum a few weeks ago when I was absolutely devastated over my sick guinea pig Ricky. Ricky was almost 7 and spent most of his life in good health. (although very sick as a baby, but he pulled through!) When I took him to the vet due to eating poorly, the x-ray showed a massive stone in his bladder. They wouldn't do the surgery without a $1000 paid up front. Even though I spent thousands there throughout the years, they wouldn't let me pay it off. I was sick. Made a million calls to try to find a place I could afford. He went down hill quickly and because of his age, I don't know if he would have survived the surgery. He could hardly walk and cried often. I made the dreadful decision to put him down. I was devastated and cried like a baby. Everyone on this site that replied to my post were so kind and helpful. And assured me that I did the right thing. Even though I felt sick over it I couldn't let him cry like that. Yesterday I went to a rescue in Long Island (where I live) and adopted two little piggies! The process took a week or so, and they even had to do a homecheck! But it was worth it. Someone dumped a box of little piggies off at their place. They are holding the females in case of a pregnancy. I took home two little boys! One is so small. The are adorable but very scared. Especially the little one. I cried a little yesterday because I thought maybe I'm getting them to soon after Ricky's death, but I can't imagine not having a little furry friend. I miss Ricky terribly and always will. (He is my icon, if I managed to put the picture in right!!) And I'll try to post a picture of my new babies. I want to say thank you for allowing me to introduce myself and telling my story. I look forward to reading about everyone else and their piggies! I hope these two grow up as wonderful as Ricky was! By the way, not 100% but it looks like their names may be Cooper and Rocco! But that may change
! 10433792_770321632999632_3757097022777853436_n.jpg10440861_770321576332971_5229831572398957652_n.jpg10439443_770321639666298_7310278053445506142_n.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your new guys are adorable! And I think Ricky would be very pleased that you loved him so much you went out and got two more just like him!

Walsh59

Cavy Slave
Thank you both for your kind words. I'm starting to worry. The little tri-color one (he is so small he fits in my hand) has gotten very territorial and keeps kicking Cooper out of the igloo. I'm gonna have to get a bigger cage with another igloo! I'm a little worried. They are both scared of humans, but should warm up soon! Thanks again!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Either take the igloo out, or cut another hole in it. All hideys should always have both an entrance and an exit -- otherwise, they're just a fight waiting to happen.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Your baby boy piggies are super adorable! Giving piggies who need a home is a great way to honor Ricky's memory. From that picture you're going to need a bigger cage as they grow up, so you may want to start saving to buy grids and chloroplast :)

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
hello there and welcome to gpc

Walsh59

Cavy Slave
Either take the igloo out, or cut another hole in it. All hideys should always have both an entrance and an exit -- otherwise, they're just a fight waiting to happen.
Thank you bpatters. That's good to know. I may get something different today. Like a wooden tunnel type of thing with two openings. They've gotten better but I still hear some unfriendly noises in there once in a while!! Thanks for the info!!

Walsh59

Cavy Slave
Your baby boy piggies are super adorable! Giving piggies who need a home is a great way to honor Ricky's memory. From that picture you're going to need a bigger cage as they grow up, so you may want to start saving to buy grids and chloroplast :)
I know! If they are like Ricky, they are going to be big boys! The vet always commented on the size of Ricky! I will be getting something bigger and then I will add two separate hiding spots (like 2 igloos) so they'll be no fighting! Right now they are sleeping nicely in the igloo. Other times they fight. It's getting better though!!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It's not the amount of hiding spots that's important, it's the amount on entrances. If one tries to nip the other, or block them in, they need a secondary route of escape. Foot stools are a pretty common hiding spot that have multiple exits, and aren't too expensive either. Your wooden bridge idea sounds really good too, I actually bought a big wooden bridge today for my two girls!

I'm sorry you had to make such a hard choice, but you did what was best for Ricky, and you're giving two guinea pigs a great home and life in his memory :)

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
hello and welcome to gpc

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Lovely pigs! For your fighting issue try and use a stepping stool as a hidey because there are entrances on all four sides. Or you could buy or make a fleece forest like the ones on the fleece store.

It is always hard to put down a loved pet but you did the best thing for Ricky.

melynda

Cavy Slave
Giving a loving home to Cooper and Rocco is a wonderful way to honor Ricky. :)

Walsh59

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much!!

Walsh59

Cavy Slave
It's not the amount of hiding spots that's important, it's the amount on entrances. If one tries to nip the other, or block them in, they need a secondary route of escape. Foot stools are a pretty common hiding spot that have multiple exits, and aren't too expensive either. Your wooden bridge idea sounds really good too, I actually bought a big wooden bridge today for my two girls!

I'm sorry you had to make such a hard choice, but you did what was best for Ricky, and you're giving two guinea pigs a great home and life in his memory :)
Thank you Princess_Piggie! Yes, putting Ricky down was incredibly hard but I know he was in pain. I miss him so much. My two new babies are so cute and fun to watch. I went and bought one of those colorful wooden log huts. Open at both ends. Seems to be working better, but still hearing strange sounds between them. I'll give it a few days. As soon as I can, I will get a bigger cage and they can each have their own little hiding spot. We'll see!

Walsh59

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Lovely pigs! For your fighting issue try and use a stepping stool as a hidey because there are entrances on all four sides. Or you could buy or make a fleece forest like the ones on the fleece store.

It is always hard to put down a loved pet but you did the best thing for Ricky.
Thank you! I bought one of those colorful log huts today. Seems a little better because it is opened at both ends. We'll see how that goes. Ricky was the sweetest little piggie. I think he would be happy! Miss him terribly.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
Tell us what happens!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.