Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Moose stinks

MoosesMum

Cavy Slave
I don't know why she does it but she likes to roll around in her poo, yes I Clean it out daily but after she does it she rolls in it, so I am needing to give her a good wash now, she is a stinky girl, but I don't have the proper shampoo yet, soooo can I wash her off in the sink with mild soap? I did it when I first got her and she has wet herself something awful, anyways can I was her whole little backside with some mild soap or should I go get her the proper shampoo?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It's unusual for a guinea pig to need to be bathed often. Does she have long hair? What size cage does she have?

Kitten shampoo (not the medicated kind) or small animal shampoo is safe to use. No soap or human shampoos.

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
If you can order from gorgeous guineas now, they ship in a week for people who live in the US and a few days for people who live in Europe. Is it possible to wait that long with her stench? If not, use small animal soap!

MoosesMum

Cavy Slave
It's unusual for a guinea pig to need to be bathed often. Does she have long hair? What size cage does she have?

Kitten shampoo (not the medicated kind) or small animal shampoo is safe to use. No soap or human shampoos.

She has a pretty big cage, she just has this tunnel she stays in and she poops in it and lays in the poop, so its not like its sticking to her or anything she just kinda smells.

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
She has a pretty big cage, she just has this tunnel she stays in and she poops in it and lays in the poop, so its not like its sticking to her or anything she just kinda smells.

Is it a crinkle tunnel? I went through two crinkle tunnels very quickly because my boys would do exactly what you discribed: pee and then sit in the pee. After two incidents of pulling out pee-drenched pigs that reeked I took those tunnels away.

PigglyWiggly29

Cavy Gazer
I know the feeling- stinky pigs are the worst!

I agree with @ginipigsinspace , crinkle tunnels are a recipe for disaster. They arnt fabric or fleece to urine just sits there causing pigs to get really gross.

For shampoo, get gorgous guinea shampoo if you can- best stuff out there. If not, any small animal shampoo will work as well. My pig vet also said that if you cant find small animal shampoo, puppy or kitten shampoo works well too.

MoosesMum

Cavy Slave
Is it a crinkle tunnel? I went through two crinkle tunnels very quickly because my boys would do exactly what you discribed: pee and then sit in the pee. After two incidents of pulling out pee-drenched pigs that reeked I took those tunnels away.

Do you know of the plastic wrap tubes? the very big ones that is what we use its carboard, I feel really guilty but I may have to take it away she just sits in her stuff all the time but she loveees that thing so much, do you think maybe I could make her one out of fleece?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Yes. Many people make fleece tunnels. Or you can take a grid and bend it and then put fleece over that.

MoosesMum

Cavy Slave
Yes. Many people make fleece tunnels. Or you can take a grid and bend it and then put fleece over that.

Thank you so much for your help hon ((hug))

MoosesMum

Cavy Slave
Update: I for stuck with making Moose a snuggle pouch, I looked it up and watched how to make one, she loves it, shes already fallen asleep in it :)

I went to a pet store to get her food and brush, I found some Guinea shampoo and used it on her, now this is her first time in a real bath, this little girl purred D: can you believe that? I took her out wrapped her up cuddled her and then dried her off, then used the brush on her, she loved the brushing she just sat there with her eyes closed and let me brush, she is getting really good and the clipping of the nails and other grooming I do. I guess she is just getting used to it.

I thank you guys for all of your help :)

MoosesMum

Cavy Slave
I recommend a grid tunnel. Once the grid is bent to the desired shape, you can put different covers on it and accessorize the cage. Be sure the book cover will fit a 15" book. Walmart often has them for $1 toward the end of summer. Here's all you need:

I Love it, Thank you, I will surely do this for her :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
How big is "pretty big"? Often people think their cages are large enough when in fact they aren't.

Chloe_s_mom

Cavy Slave
Oh those darn crinkle tunnels! My girls love that thing, but not only pee in it, but then spin it around so they get fully covered in pee.

I bathed mine for the first time today - was amazed how they seemed to tolerate it well. So cute seeing them shake off like a wet dog!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.