Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Anyone also a rabbit slave?

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
My oldest is a rabbit girl, no piggies for her. I've been trying to find a rabbit forum, similar to this one and I'm looking for reliable recommendations for info. Do any of you also have rabbits that could point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

3GPigsplus1more

Cavy Slave
Not sure of any rabbit forums, though I am sure there is one, I can tell you that I am a slave to 5 rabbits!

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Do rabbits and guinea pigs get along? Meaning can you let them have floor time together? I ask cause I've thought about getting a rabbit when I get my guinea pigs. Thanks.

3GPigsplus1more

Cavy Slave
I do not recommend it. They get along fine, but I have seen too many accidents happen, where the rabbit hurts the guinea pig. Not matter how small the rabbit is their thumpers(hind legs) can do lots damage. They can binky from happiness and it only takes that 1 sec. If you want to get a rabbit keep separate cages and separate play times. I know many people will say it is fine, that is because they are lucky that nothing has happened. Don't risk your pigs life just for a playtime together.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
We don't let our rabbit with the pigs. Rabbits also have a bacteria (?) that doesn't hurt them but can kill pigs. Plus the above mentioned risk of injury. My daughters rabbit, Pitch, thumps his back legs pretty hard and binkies a lot. I'd hate to see one of my pigs get hurt.

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Thanks, good to know. I'll keep that in mind.

3GPigsplus1more

Cavy Slave
We don't let our rabbit with the pigs. Rabbits also have a bacteria (?) that doesn't hurt them but can kill pigs. Plus the above mentioned risk of injury. My daughters rabbit, Pitch, thumps his back legs pretty hard and binkies a lot. I'd hate to see one of my pigs get hurt.
Good thinking, forgot to mention the rabbits can also be carriers of pathogens that can be passed actually to any small animal. Pastuerella (sp??), is something that we have come across with, as also with Giardia. It is also highly recommended that rabbits be housed in a separate room from guinea pigs to prevent this. The rabbit may not have an active case but may become active in another small animal if passed along.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
@3GPigsplus1more have you ever dealt with a case of sore hocks in your rabbits? I think Pitch might be getting it.

3GPigsplus1more

Cavy Slave
Yes, actually 6 months ago! It was a long battle but defeated! I used baytril to treat any underlying infection. I also have a cream called Heal x that I applied to clean pays 3x daily.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Did you do any of the "soaks"? Like Epsom salt water or (this might be the wrong name) naversol? Where you wet the town with it and have them sit on it for 20 mins? I am going to take him to the vet to be sure there's no infection.

3GPigsplus1more

Cavy Slave
I did not do any soaks. I found any added moisture made things worse. At least that was my experience. I tried to keep it clean and dry as much as possible.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I think BinkyBunny is a good rabbit forum.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
BinkyBunny...check. :)

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Yes, actually 6 months ago! It was a long battle but defeated! I used baytril to treat any underlying infection. I also have a cream called Heal x that I applied to clean pays 3x daily.

Was the heal x from the vet or OTC?

3GPigsplus1more

Cavy Slave
Yes the heal x was from a vet.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Okie dokie. Thanks!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Bordetella is a also transmittable from rabbits to guinea pigs and can quickly kill a guinea pig.

3GPigsplus1more

Cavy Slave
Bordetella is a also transmittable from rabbits to guinea pigs and can quickly kill a guinea pig.

Oh yes, that is very true! There are many illnesses that can be passed on. Best is not to keep them together in a room and all playtime a separate.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
I have a friend that has two rabbits. One of them I heard likes to kick and sometimes bite tho!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I don't personally own a rabbit but I will be taking care of one in a weeks time. My sister is going away for two weeks to her partners parents house for Christmas so I am going to be pet sitting, her dog and bunny will be coming to my house but I am going to have to visit her house daily to care for her fish. The bunny in question is a Netherlands dwarf buck who is about a year old called Timmy. He will be staying in a back room which is fully air-conditioned (and bunny proof so he can be let out of the cage for a bit everyday) and the room is visited very regularly as this is where most of my fish tanks and my brooder and incubator for my birds are.

In preparation for my bunny sitting duties I decided to get informed on the basics of rabbit care. I happened across this forum, which is a UK forum (broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.