Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi!!

JRonalds

Cavy Gazer
Hello there! I am a new user of this site. I have 2 lovable pigs. My eldest cavy, Stacy was given to me by my cousin. Stacy is incredibly smart, but I think scared of heights.
A year after getting Stacy, I decided to adopt Cookie a Tri Color from the SPCA. Cookie and Stacy got a long for a while, until Cookie hit puberty and then all hell broke loose in Cavy land. I have not been able to to put them together for long, just for play time. Stacy does not seem to be interested in any toy I have tried other than his small stuffed animal that he has had since birth. Cookie is scared of everyone and everything no matter how often I play with him. I am hoping to use this site for ideas with these issues...

Bye for now!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Okay so first, welcome to the site! We have loads of experienced guinea pig owners who can help answer questions and give suggestions as needed.

Second, stop the play time visits. It's very stressful for pigs to be put together then taken apart repeatedly. They have to start over establishing dominance each time they are put together.

The only time they should be interacting is during introductions and once they have been introduced and are living together. Take time to do proper introductions. It can take a while so be prepared to carve out at least a few hours of time but it will take as long as it need to take for them to be able to at least tolerate each other.

Before even doing introductions though, you have to make 100% sure they are both the same gender. You can post a close up picture of each pig's genital region and we can help you determine gender for each.

You also have to make sure that the cage you have is large enough for two pigs, especially if you have two males.

Here is a bit of information to get you started:
Info on C&C cages:https://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm
https://www.guineapigcages.com/index.htm
@bpatters and @lissie will also have some great information for new pig owners.

Again, welcome!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.