Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

looking to adopt two females would greatly prefer spayed! columbia,MO

kala83

Cavy Slave
the reason I want to find two female guinea pigs is I have a male guinea pig, but he is kind of a special case, he has a heart murmore and is on medications for his health issue. When I first found out about all this from veterinarian I told her I really wanted to get him some cage mates since I know how social guinea pigs are. And I thought going along with letting him have a same sex cage mate was the best way to go.

but it was actually her recommendation that I did not get another male, because since he is older he would probably be naturally territorial and she did not know with his health condition if that would be a good thing to do or not.

I thought finding a pair of bonded females that was spayed already (just so as to avoid having babies) or two that were in good enough health to be spayed would be a perfect fit for him.

me and my boyfriend are hopefully moving out of where we are now to a space of our own, and I intend on getting a nice c and c cage for my boy and hopefully getting one that would be good enough size for the girls also but I was also considering the idea of getting another cage just in case the girls would need to have a space of their own.

if this takes me a bit of time to do I don't mind I just want to give my sweet guy something nice in his life since he probably won't have a very long life anyway.
lol if that makes sense

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're not likely to find two spayed females. Spaying is an invasive surgery that's usually not done unless a sow has ovarian cysts or other reproductive system problems. You might find one if you are willing to look long enough and far enough away, but there's no guarantee. Go to www.petfinder.com and search for females in your area, and contact all the rescues around you. They may have pigs that aren't yet posted on their sites, and/or foster homes that are closer to you than their address indicates.

Age has nothing to do with whether or not a pig is territorial -- it's all down to personality. He might have more difficulty adjusting because he's been alone so long, but he might now. And he might do fine with a baby male -- boars often make good nannies. There would be some dominance struggles as the young one grows up, but it can work.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Is there anything wrong with getting him neutered? Just curious.
not all rescues use petfinder, I found Aurora on adopt-a-pet. When you do find a rescue ask if they will stay for you, most of the ones I've talked to will since they can get discounts from vets

pinky

Cavy Slave
Is there anything wrong with getting him neutered? Just curious.
not all rescues use petfinder, I found Aurora on adopt-a-pet. When you do find a rescue ask if they will stay for you, most of the ones I've talked to will since they can get discounts from vets

Sounds like he has health issues so it might not be wise to go through a surgery since he has the heart murmur and other issues.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Here are some more rescues for Missouri

https://hsmo.org/

Dogs, Cats, Rabbits, Guinea pigs
(humans society)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Here are some more rescues for Missouri

https://hsmo.org/

Dogs, Cats, Rabbits, Guinea pigs
(humans society)

Critter Corral is really far from Missouri. It's located in the Chicago area.

kala83

Cavy Slave
You're not likely to find two spayed females. Spaying is an invasive surgery that's usually not done unless a sow has ovarian cysts or other reproductive system problems. You might find one if you are willing to look long enough and far enough away, but there's no guarantee. Go to www.petfinder.com and search for females in your area, and contact all the rescues around you. They may have pigs that aren't yet posted on their sites, and/or foster homes that are closer to you than their address indicates.

Age has nothing to do with whether or not a pig is territorial -- it's all down to personality. He might have more difficulty adjusting because he's been alone so long, but he might now. And he might do fine with a baby male -- boars often make good nannies. There would be some dominance struggles as the young one grows up, but it can work.

I appreciate you take on the situation and maybe this me just being my inner Veterinary Technician but if it was recommended to me to not put him with another male my a licensed DVM I am inclined to go with her suggestion.

She did sympathize with me, cause she did admit that having him nurtured would be a lot easier to do then spaying a female, but due to his heart murmor she highly recommended that doing that would not be a good idea...and since with my schooling I do know some of the fine details when it comes to anaesthesia I think she makes a very good point. With his specific issues.

I do agree with the personality comment, and I have a lot of people tell me he just might be a guinea pig that lives alone...but for me I just don't think that's really true he has gone out of his way to try and make friends with lol all of my other small animals usuch as my rats and his BEST friend that he does not live near now was my mother's dwarf rabbit that had three legs. Of course when he was or is around these other animals he was obviously supervised and made sure that he was being safe for himself and others...but I can just tell the lil guys wants companionship and it kind broke my heart that for a while just due to my work situation I could not give him that.

I do realize that when I do get the girls or even another male that things might go entire different ways then all that....but I would at least like to see if its possible to at least give a chance to have companionship in his life.

Last edited:

Annews

Cavy Slave
Both Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue (in the Washington DC/Virginia area) and Asheville Guinea Pig Rescue (in Hendersonville, North Carolina) do spay guinea pigs. As a member of AGPR, I can tell you we spayed more than 20 females last year without incident. AGPR will have two spayed females available probably in late April, and Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue, which takes in far more piggies than we do because it is in a more populous area, will have more available.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Both Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue (in the Washington DC/Virginia area) and Asheville Guinea Pig Rescue (in Hendersonville, North Carolina) do spay guinea pigs. As a member of AGPR, I can tell you we spayed more than 20 females last year without incident. AGPR will have two spayed females available probably in late April, and Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue, which takes in far more piggies than we do because it is in a more populous area, will have more available.

I'm curious what your adoption fee is for spayed females. Do you have a vet who donates services for you? I'd imagine a spay would be an expensive procedure and you'd be lucky if you have someone who gives you a break on the cost.

Annews

Cavy Slave
Our adoption fee for a single pig (neutered or spayed) right now is $40; for a pair (neutered and/or spayed) is $75. It does not cover the full cost of the discounted surgery so we close the gap with donations. Our vet's normal spay/neuter cost for pigs is around $130, and he charges us about $70. His fee is very reasonable given that other vets in the area charge over $300. Spay/neuter costs are the one fee I wish all vets would keep low because it benefits not only the individual animal but really also provides a public service as well. We will probably raise our adoption fees at some point to cover more of our actual costs but I still want it to be affordable.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Our adoption fee for a single pig (neutered or spayed) right now is $40; for a pair (neutered and/or spayed) is $75. It does not cover the full cost of the discounted surgery so we close the gap with donations. Our vet's normal spay/neuter cost for pigs is around $130, and he charges us about $70. His fee is very reasonable given that other vets in the area charge over $300. Spay/neuter costs are the one fee I wish all vets would keep low because it benefits not only the individual animal but really also provides a public service as well. We will probably raise our adoption fees at some point to cover more of our actual costs but I still want it to be affordable.
Wow! You're really lucky to have a vet who only charges you that much.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.