Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Boar cleaning too frequently?

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
One of my boars, Han, who is about a year and 7 months old seems to need his sac cleaned a lot. After a week or so I'll notice a strong aroma, and when I go to clean it I will find lint, hay, and the Q-tips will come out yellowish-brown. I don't want to harm him, but I also don't want him to not be healthy. So, how do you know when you should or should not be cleaning them?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
At his age, you should check him once a week and clean him if he needs it. As he gets older, you may need to check more often.

What kind of bedding do you use? Some boars get bedding in their sacs, and a change of bedding might help.

Heather_GP

Cavy Slave
My boars sacs never been cleaned, I went to do it the other day and it looked horrible, I didn't have any mineral oil though and don't know where to get any from, looked online in the UK wherever I could, can water be used?

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
My boars sacs never been cleaned, I went to do it the other day and it looked horrible, I didn't have any mineral oil though and don't know where to get any from, looked online in the UK wherever I could, can water be used?
Water will hurt them. The reason why people use mineral oil is because its a lubricant and doesn't hurt them. Sure it feels a bit weird but as long as you don't stick it in too far they'll be okay. Why don't you try using coconut oil instead of mineral oil? It does the same thing and is healthier. If you use coconut oil you'll need organic cold pressed virgin coconut oil.

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I use fleece, which maybe could account for the lint? However, if you think checking and potentially cleaning every week is ok, you have answered my question. I had previously been told every 3-4 weeks.

Heather_GP

Cavy Slave
Water will hurt them. The reason why people use mineral oil is because its a lubricant and doesn't hurt them. Sure it feels a bit weird but as long as you don't stick it in too far they'll be okay. Why don't you try using coconut oil instead of mineral oil? It does the same thing and is healthier. If you use coconut oil you'll need organic cold pressed virgin coconut oil.

Thank you, I'll see where I can get some :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.