Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Is this a happy sound?! *video link*

jeannev79

Cavy Slave
As like you I got my two from Petco. I brought to their attention that my Anabeth was sneezing and had eye crusties. I love their response, they would buy her back and take her to the vet and if she survived I could pay for her again and if not well you get the picture. I watched her close and sure enough it went away on its own. Thank goodness I didn't listen to them!

Heather_GP

Cavy Slave
Was just reading the posts on here and noticed something about sneezing? When we first got frank home and sorted out his cage, and changed him out - he was sneezing a lot, and I was concerned. But there didn't appear to be any other symptoms and after a few days of changing the sneezing slowed down.

I'm allergic to fur, feathers & dust, and these are only 3 of the many things i'm allergic too!

I brought my air purifier up from my flat, and since then seems we've both been feeling a lot better! Only time he sneezes really is after he's been cleaning his face, which looks so adorable.

So just a heads up get an air purifier, if you notice the sneezing and that with sawdust? If that's what you use, I'm trying to sort out the fleecing as I feel that would be better for both of us!

Also, I played the recording that was posted and he sat on my laptop 'talking' back to it haha :)!

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
Was just reading the posts on here and noticed something about sneezing? When we first got frank home and sorted out his cage, and changed him out - he was sneezing a lot, and I was concerned. But there didn't appear to be any other symptoms and after a few days of changing the sneezing slowed down.

I'm allergic to fur, feathers & dust, and these are only 3 of the many things i'm allergic too!

I brought my air purifier up from my flat, and since then seems we've both been feeling a lot better! Only time he sneezes really is after he's been cleaning his face, which looks so adorable.

So just a heads up get an air purifier, if you notice the sneezing and that with sawdust? If that's what you use, I'm trying to sort out the fleecing as I feel that would be better for both of us!

Also, I played the recording that was posted and he sat on my laptop 'talking' back to it haha :)!

I'm using the carefresh bedding right now. She has been sneezing but no other symptoms. Could just be the new environment.
I have a humidifier is that like the same thing?

And that's so cute! How old is your GP?

Heather_GP

Cavy Slave
I think a humidifier is pretty much the same thing yeah, just works in a different way :)

Yeah, I'd go with the new environment unless anything else comes up! I mean I panicked when he ripped his nail off, but he seems okay and has been for a week or two!

I have no idea how old he is, we pretty much adopted him, I can only assume he's about a year nearly?

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
I think a humidifier is pretty much the same thing yeah, just works in a different way :)

Yeah, I'd go with the new environment unless anything else comes up! I mean I panicked when he ripped his nail off, but he seems okay and has been for a week or two!

I have no idea how old he is, we pretty much adopted him, I can only assume he's about a year nearly?

She has a URI I had to rush her in this morning :( they gave her antibiotics hopefully she will be okay. I'm so upset and worried :'(

Heather_GP

Cavy Slave
Oh gosh! What antibiotics? You might wanna check somewhere on the site to be sure there suitable.

I'm gonna keep an eye on him now, what other symptoms did yours have? :/

Keep your chin up though, she'll be okay :) xx

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
Well until the vets appt, just keep a close eye on her overall, and if she gets worse or develops extra symptoms, get her to the vet sooner if possible :)

She went to the vet this morning. She has a URI :(

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
Oh gosh! What antibiotics? You might wanna check somewhere on the site to be sure there suitable.

I'm gonna keep an eye on him now, what other symptoms did yours have? :/

Keep your chin up though, she'll be okay :) xx

Bactrum is what it is I think. 2x daily for 14 days.
She had nasal discharge, wouldn't eat, and lots of sneezing/coughing.

Heather_GP

Cavy Slave
Oh sorry, didn't realise she had other symptoms, thought it was just the sneezing.
Fingers crossed she makes a full recovery, that drug is fine, it's not on the dangerous list. So yeah, hopeful! :)

Btw, I love the bow you added, she looks adorable in your photo :)

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
Oh sorry, didn't realise she had other symptoms, thought it was just the sneezing.
Fingers crossed she makes a full recovery, that drug is fine, it's not on the dangerous list. So yeah, hopeful! :)

Btw, I love the bow you added, she looks adorable in your photo :)

She didn't have any other symptoms until this morning. That's what's scary :(

And thank you :) I make Hairbow's for my daughter so I figured I would make her One too, lol.

Heather_GP

Cavy Slave
Aww, it's adorable !

Yeah that sounds scary! She's so cute as well!

How's she doing today?

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
Aww, it's adorable !

Yeah that sounds scary! She's so cute as well!

How's she doing today?

About the same minus the nasal discharge. I got her to eat a little last night and I left lots of fresh veggies but it looks like she didn't touch them.

Heather_GP

Cavy Slave
About the same minus the nasal discharge. I got her to eat a little last night and I left lots of fresh veggies but it looks like she didn't touch them.

Well that's a good sign if that's cleared up, means the antibiotics AR doing something :) Maybe try feeding her the veggies today, see if she takes them, if not force feeding will probe be the best option :\ x

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
Well that's a good sign if that's cleared up, means the antibiotics AR doing something :) Maybe try feeding her the veggies today, see if she takes them, if not force feeding will probe be the best option :\ x

Just ate a little of a green Bell pepper. But I hand fed it to her.

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
I haven't read the 2nd page yet but if you're interested ... Bibbles - my guinea that had a URI when I got him (and a eye infection) came back almost 2 weeks after I had his brother Nibbles, he's been back going on 2 weeks this monday and in those 2 weeks he has moved from his store tiny cage to a big C&C cage for him and Nibbles, he has done nothing but hide since I brought him back, either in the pigloo, a paper bag, or his fleece forest. He wouldn't come out for cuddles, or even his veggies most days (UNTIL TODAY!)

Last night I sat at the cage and talked to him and pet him, today he was running about having a blast and I actually convinced him to come up to me for multiple cuddles which he hasn't done before. He's now visibly drinking water (which I could NEVER catch him doing) and playing/wheeking. Some piggies it just takes more time for them to adjust to a new environment, we're still working on it, but I think you're situation is normal. Odds are she is healthy and you just worry like any piggy parent would. I worry a lot too, Bibbles sneezes a few times a day usually but its only when hes playing in the hay or eating food, so something must be tickling his nose cause he had a URI and is cured of it now according to the vet.

I hope it's nothing serious, just keep an eye on her, her eyes look good though, and for a lil bit Nibbles would get a couple eye crusts, one at the front of his eye in the crease and one in the back crease, usually after he woke up (he sleeps with his eyes closed)

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
And I just read up, URI is very treatable just be patient and try not to worry, Bibbles had it too and it took about 2 weeks for it to completely clear up but now hes healthy and happy I'm sure your girl will be ok, it was pretty much the same thing with him too. I wouldn't have ever suggested just "waiting it out to see if it goes away" like a previous poster did though, you did the right thing taking her to the vet :) just keep up with the veggie hand feeding, when I couldn't get Bibbles to eat I handfed him until I took him to the vet the next day (they were closed) just to keep his system moving, I'm glad she's eating though that's a good sign, maybe you won't have to force feed her, I had to force feed my cat and it's not fun :(

Heather_GP

Cavy Slave
That's good! Keep trying her with hand feeding her veg every now and then, wouldn't want to load too much on her at once.

Your doing brill with her! :)

Also to the above post, don't think anyone suggested it should be left and to wait it out.

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
No no i meant someone said that they just watched it to go away on its own, and that's not something I would suggest, if the sneezing and eye crusts are often enough it's worth a trip to the vet to be safe cause URI can kill in a matter of hours if it's been hidden well. And we all know how well these piggies hide their sicknesses

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
uploadfromtaptalk1394317980417.jpg
Got her a probiotic and syringe fed it to her with some water.
She's hanging out in her hammock now. Gonna try some more veggies in a little while.

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
Update*
Left some orange slices in her cage and left for about an hour and one was gone when I came home! I've also heard her drinking from the water bottle a bit. Hand fed her some more orange and Timothy hay just now. Still sneezing quite a bit though :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.