Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to guinea pigs! Suggestions welcome!!

KyKyMarie77

Cavy Slave
Hello! I am currently working on the logistics of building my own cage(wooden). I have never owned a guinea pig before, but I have lots of experience with many different animals. I live on a farm and have 40+ animals, but I want a furry friend in my room and have done lots of research. After all of the research I decided a guinea pig is the best match for me. I’m currently building my own cage it is going to be made out of linnmon table tops from Ikea and will have three levels to accommodate 2 guinea pigs since I found they must be in pairs or more. Since I am still very new to this I would love suggestions such as what you feed your babies, such as brands of pellets and hay that’s the best and what veggies or such you feed them daily. As well as any tips you think I should know or really anything to help out! I’m all ears!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners. Poke around on those links and you'll find lots of your questions already answered.

Take a look at the cages in the photo galleries. A few words of warning... Guinea pigs don't need many levels. They need a large flat area to run around in. You'll have to completely protect the wood from urine and poop, or the odor will become overwhelming. They can't live on wire floors.

You don't need one guinea pig, you need two. They're herd animals, and do MUCH better with a friend of their own kind. And please don't buy one from a pet store or a backyard breeder. If you'll give us the name of the nearest city to you, we'll try to help you find a rescue or shelter.

KyKyMarie77

Cavy Slave
Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners. Poke around on those links and you'll find lots of your questions already answered.

Take a look at the cages in the photo galleries. A few words of warning... Guinea pigs don't need many levels. They need a large flat area to run around in. You'll have to completely protect the wood from urine and poop, or the odor will become overwhelming. They can't live on wire floors.

You don't need one guinea pig, you need two. They're herd animals, and do MUCH better with a friend of their own kind. And please don't buy one from a pet store or a backyard breeder. If you'll give us the name of the nearest city to you, we'll try to help you find a rescue or shelter.

thank you so much for the information! Unfortunately I can’t do much about the levels because I don’t have a wide space. To help with this I’m going to make the ramps gradual and not so steep so when they do get older they are still able to run all up and down without being discouraged by the ramps. I do have a wide area for them to be for floor time roughly 27x20 feet that I have guinea pig proofed and they will be in their a lot. As for the wood I am going to make fleece liners with a waterproof incontence pad in between it and I’m going to seal the edges on the bottom where the wood will connect. I definitely won’t use wire flooring at all I’ve seen many peoples pets be injured by those and I would never risk my animals getting injured if I can help it. i am going to get 2 as I am started off I don’t want to get to many, and 2 is the best starting number.

thanks again for the feedback it means a lot!

KyKyMarie77

Cavy Slave
I’d also like to know what type of diets y’all have with your guinea pigs. I have done lots of research, but the diet part always seems to be different with different people, so what kind of diets do you guys do along with what brand?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Be aware, when you're building levels, that guinea pigs have eyes on the sides of their heads, and thus very poor depth perception. Six feet and six inches look the same to them, so you'll have to have something preventing them from jumping off the sides of ramps and levels.

KyKyMarie77

Cavy Slave
Be aware, when you're building levels, that guinea pigs have eyes on the sides of their heads, and thus very poor depth perception. Six feet and six inches look the same to them, so you'll have to have something preventing them from jumping off the sides of ramps and levels.

thanks I’ll keep that in mind! I’ve looked at a ton of designs and different types of railings. How tall would you suggest?

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! For diet, I have a few suggestions! You probably know some of this stuff but this is just my advice :)

The pellets you use MUST have vitamin C! And also, for adult guinea pigs, they should be TIMOTHY based, NOT alfalfa. Most pellets on the market are NOT GOOD FOR GUINEA PIGS! You also don't want to get anything with colorful bits or seeds, as those are not healthy. The most trusted brands are Oxbow, KMS, and I believe Sherwood and Small Pet Select are okay too. Oxbow is available at Petsmart in-store, however they are out of stock online almost everywhere right now except Chewy.com as far as I can tell. KMS is exclusively online, on their website and Amazon. If you can't get any of those, Kaytee Timothy Complete works in a pinch (although still a bit high on calcium).

KMS is probably the best choice because they are the lowest in calcium, however I have had issues in the past where I get a batch of super-hard pellets and it's hard for my boys to chew them. I might be switching back, however, because Oxbow is so low in stock right now. But right now I'm using oxbow. And to be honest, the calcium level in Oxbow is really only concerning for piggies with a history of bladder stones. For most pigs, as long as the diet is overall low-calcium, it should be fine. I've been using Oxbow for quite a while now and have not had any isssues.

If you are buying for young guinea pigs (under 6 months), they actually need a lot of calcium! Their pellets should be alfalfa-based. I am not as educated on baby guinea pig food, but most pellets on the market are alfalfa-based. However, I will still reccomend the young guinea pig versions of the brands I mentioned above. The reason we want calcium for younger piggies is because they are still growing and need it for strong bones, whereas adults don't and so it risks them storing it as bladder stones and such.

Adult Pellets (about 1/8 of a cup, or 2 tablespoons a day):
Oxbow Cavy Cuisine (broken link removed) (I also believe the Garden Selct line is suitable as they have very similar nutrtion facts)
Kleenmama's Hayloft Timothy Choice (broken link removed)

Young Piggy Pellets (under 6 months, same amount as adult)
Oxbow Young: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...e1FMzNInDoBs41x3CWzJYCC0wRujdjDQaAg-WEALw_wcB
Kleenmama's Young: (broken link removed)

Guinea pigs need hay 24/7! Don't ever let them go without it! It keeps their teeth trimmed and their digestive systems going!

For hay, the standard is Timothy Hay. It is widely available and many brands carry it. I personally use the All Living Things brand at Petsmart. But I know people enjoy Oxbow, KMS, and Small Pet Select as well.

You can also feed Orchard grass or Bluegrass as their hay, which some people do because of allergies to Timothy Hay.

For veggies, aim to give around 1 cup of veggies, though less is totally fine. I know right now with coronavirus going around it is hard to keep produce in the house, so just do your best. Here is what I try to aim for:

Daily:
1-2 leaves Green leaf, red leaf, or butterleaf lettuce (Romaine is okay but is higher in calcium, and whatever you do don't feed iceberg lettuce! It causes diarrhea!
1/8th of a green bell pepper

3-4 times a week:
1 baby carrot, or a few slices of a big one (or I peel a big one and give them a few "peels"
1 Cherry tomato or a nice slice of regular tomato (remove seeds if they are big)
A slice of cucumber, or a hadnful of organic cucumber skins
A sprig of cilantro or parsley

1-2 times a week
Berries such as a small strawberry, a few blueberries, or a raspberry
A small slice of apple, pear, or peach

If they are younger you can give Spinach and extra parsley daily for some calcium :)

This is only based on my piggies and personal needs, of course, and is just a guide. And again, if you miss some days or even a week, it's totally fine. I almost always would not feed all of these things in a single week or more. Of course it's ideal to have your pigs eat daily veggies, but focus on getting them settled in first. Unless you are doing a kibble-free diet, it is adequete to just feed kibble and hay. And with corona, you don't want to risk yourself or anyone by having to make trips to the store for lettuce! You can also check out this amazing chart to see what to feed and when! https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

For treats, I give freeze-dried straberries, pea flakes and the fruits mentioned above :)

In general, I aim to keep the diet as low in calcium as possible. This is why I use timothy pellets, no romain lettuce, and limited amounts of calcium vegetables and herbs. Distilled water is also an option to make sure you have as little calcium as possible, however right now I have switched to tap temporarily as gallons of water are hard to come by (and we need it for our salt-water fish tank!). However at least as many people just use tap or bottled :)

Hope I helped!

KyKyMarie77

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! For diet, I have a few suggestions! You probably know some of this stuff but this is just my advice :)

The pellets you use MUST have vitamin C! And also, for adult guinea pigs, they should be TIMOTHY based, NOT alfalfa. Most pellets on the market are NOT GOOD FOR GUINEA PIGS! You also don't want to get anything with colorful bits or seeds, as those are not healthy. The most trusted brands are Oxbow, KMS, and I believe Sherwood and Small Pet Select are okay too. Oxbow is available at Petsmart in-store, however they are out of stock online almost everywhere right now except Chewy.com as far as I can tell. KMS is exclusively online, on their website and Amazon. If you can't get any of those, Kaytee Timothy Complete works in a pinch (although still a bit high on calcium).

KMS is probably the best choice because they are the lowest in calcium, however I have had issues in the past where I get a batch of super-hard pellets and it's hard for my boys to chew them. I might be switching back, however, because Oxbow is so low in stock right now. But right now I'm using oxbow. And to be honest, the calcium level in Oxbow is really only concerning for piggies with a history of bladder stones. For most pigs, as long as the diet is overall low-calcium, it should be fine. I've been using Oxbow for quite a while now and have not had any isssues.

If you are buying for young guinea pigs (under 6 months), they actually need a lot of calcium! Their pellets should be alfalfa-based. I am not as educated on baby guinea pig food, but most pellets on the market are alfalfa-based. However, I will still reccomend the young guinea pig versions of the brands I mentioned above. The reason we want calcium for younger piggies is because they are still growing and need it for strong bones, whereas adults don't and so it risks them storing it as bladder stones and such.

Adult Pellets (about 1/8 of a cup, or 2 tablespoons a day):
Oxbow Cavy Cuisine (broken link removed) (I also believe the Garden Selct line is suitable as they have very similar nutrtion facts)
Kleenmama's Hayloft Timothy Choice (broken link removed)

Young Piggy Pellets (under 6 months, same amount as adult)
Oxbow Young: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...e1FMzNInDoBs41x3CWzJYCC0wRujdjDQaAg-WEALw_wcB
Kleenmama's Young: (broken link removed)

Guinea pigs need hay 24/7! Don't ever let them go without it! It keeps their teeth trimmed and their digestive systems going!

For hay, the standard is Timothy Hay. It is widely available and many brands carry it. I personally use the All Living Things brand at Petsmart. But I know people enjoy Oxbow, KMS, and Small Pet Select as well.

You can also feed Orchard grass or Bluegrass as their hay, which some people do because of allergies to Timothy Hay.

For veggies, aim to give around 1 cup of veggies, though less is totally fine. I know right now with coronavirus going around it is hard to keep produce in the house, so just do your best. Here is what I try to aim for:

Daily:
1-2 leaves Green leaf, red leaf, or butterleaf lettuce (Romaine is okay but is higher in calcium, and whatever you do don't feed iceberg lettuce! It causes diarrhea!
1/8th of a green bell pepper

3-4 times a week:
1 baby carrot, or a few slices of a big one (or I peel a big one and give them a few "peels"
1 Cherry tomato or a nice slice of regular tomato (remove seeds if they are big)
A slice of cucumber, or a hadnful of organic cucumber skins
A sprig of cilantro or parsley

1-2 times a week
Berries such as a small strawberry, a few blueberries, or a raspberry
A small slice of apple, pear, or peach

If they are younger you can give Spinach and extra parsley daily for some calcium :)

This is only based on my piggies and personal needs, of course, and is just a guide. And again, if you miss some days or even a week, it's totally fine. I almost always would not feed all of these things in a single week or more. Of course it's ideal to have your pigs eat daily veggies, but focus on getting them settled in first. Unless you are doing a kibble-free diet, it is adequete to just feed kibble and hay. And with corona, you don't want to risk yourself or anyone by having to make trips to the store for lettuce! You can also check out this amazing chart to see what to feed and when! https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

For treats, I give freeze-dried straberries, pea flakes and the fruits mentioned above :)

In general, I aim to keep the diet as low in calcium as possible. This is why I use timothy pellets, no romain lettuce, and limited amounts of calcium vegetables and herbs. Distilled water is also an option to make sure you have as little calcium as possible, however right now I have switched to tap temporarily as gallons of water are hard to come by (and we need it for our salt-water fish tank!). However at least as many people just use tap or bottled :)

Hope I helped!

WOW!! Thank you so much for taking the time to type all of that for me that means a lot!! I will definitely look for those products(probably online due to the corona virus) and find the best one for me or that is stocked near me. Thank you so much for giving me all that information I will definitely try that diet out when I get my 2 babies and hope it works! I am getting the supplies to make their cage tomorrow and am going to start on it and hopefully have it finished pretty soon, but I’m not sure how long it is going to take to be able to get everything for them and have the cage all set up due to Covid..

KyKyMarie77

Cavy Slave
Update:
I have the cage shell constructed, I just need to get wood for the doors, and build the ramps, I am currently purchasing a lot of the necessities minus food and hay because I don’t want either to go bad if it ends up taking longer than expected, but I was wondering if anybody knew of a good glass water bottle, and food dish, as well as the best vitamin c supplement, I know the water droplets are a no go, but which brand has the best tablets or other supplement?

ChinandLacey

Cavy Slave
Oxbow has a good vitamin C supplement in their Natural Science line, and my guinea pigs really like it. However, as long as you feed high quality pellets and a variety of veggies (such as bell pepper) you shouldn't need to supplement extra. Of course, fresh veggies might be a little hard to find right now, though.

KyKyMarie77

Cavy Slave
Oxbow has a good vitamin C supplement in their Natural Science line, and my guinea pigs really like it. However, as long as you feed high quality pellets and a variety of veggies (such as bell pepper) you shouldn't need to supplement extra. Of course, fresh veggies might be a little hard to find right now, though.

would it be bad to give the supplements along with feeding them veggies? I want to be the safest I can, and am worried I might not be able to get veggies sometime and they not be used to the supplements and then lose the vitamins.

ChinandLacey

Cavy Slave

Guineamom_04

Cavy Gazer
Welcome to the forum! :)

Guinea Pigs actually can't get too much vitamin C, and if they do, the just urinate it. So, I don't think their is too much to worry about in that case, unless someone else knows something different. As for the veggies, I recommend getting yellow or green bell peppers, also tomatoes are great when it comes to vitamin C. Make sure to watch their Calcium intake as @Beatrix187 stated, so research in that area is important. Also, always watch out for Guinea Pig illnesses, Guinea Pigs are great at hiding them for a really long time, and by the time you notice, it's too late. So it's important that you know an exotics vet you can take them to.

Hope this helped a bit!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
The only potential risk with giving excess vitamin C occurs when the vitamin C is given in extreme excess, if this is the case the potential harm is the guinea pig developing pseudo-scurvy when the high dose is stopped.

A healthy young guinea pig should not need supplementing beyond what is given to them through fresh vegetables and a high quality pellet, but if you have a senior guinea pig (who won't absorb nutrients as well) or have a shortage of fresh vegetables a small dose supplement may be needed. The average daily needs of vitamin C for guinea pigs is between 10-30mg/kg so look at how much vitamin C the supplements you are considering contain.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.