Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips kind of dissapointed in the wood pellets idea

Wheekers135

Cavy Slave
I switched my guinea pigs to fleece about 4 months ago. but im not as happy with the pellets as I thought I would be. It was great at first because there was hardly any smell.

I went out town for 3 weeks and to make it easier for my petsitter, I just removed the fleece and let the pigs use the plain pellets as bedding. so of course when I got home I removed all the pellets and replaced with fresh bedding.

I sweep the cage everyday and change the fleece once a week. one of the complaints I have, is that the bottom of the fleece is always covered with wood pellet powder. besides changing the fleece, I always spot clean the powdered sections of pellets also. But I find that I am going through a lot of pellets.

I thought I could buy a couple bags, use it for a couple months and then replace them with more. but it seems like im buying more bags every 3 weeks.

So for the last 2 weeks I haven't been spot cleaning the pellets. ive just let them get broken down and ive occasionally stirred it up. How long can it last like this? Once the pellets turn to powder should I be replacing them?

Maybe my pigs just pee an abnormal amount, I don't know lol. Has anyone else had problems like this?
Im seriously considering switching to uhaul pads but I don't want any smell.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
I don’t use pellets, but from what I’ve read, you just stir them around so that the dust is spread evenly with the pellets.

The first youtube video shows how to clean a wood-pellet-plus-fleece cage at the end of each week (not replacing the pellets), and the second link shows how to clean the entire cage (replacing the pellets).

They were both posted by @CavieGuy on this forum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgk6jPJ6JhI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgRcu9QkR2s

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just stir them up. They'll last a long time. I've gone as long as 11 weeks, and only changed them then because I was introducing a new pig and had to have a completely cleaned cage.

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
I'm on 3 months and counting of pellets underneath fleece and it honestly doesn't look like I'll need to change them anytime soon.

I use 2 layers of very thin fleece over the pellets. The top layer gets changed out frequently (5 days or so). It gets soiled with poop, hay, and miscellaneous piggy debris on top, but because it is not in direct contact with the pellets/dust, it takes only 1 minute to swap it out with new fleece.

The bottom layer is there strictly to keep the pellet dust off the top layer. It doesn't get changed as frequently. Perhaps every 14-21 days. The 2 layers allows me to always have fresh fleece for the pigs to walk on without having to deal with the dust on the fleece as often. Whenever I change out bottom fleece I check the pellets, scoop the bad areas, and stir everything else. I use an entire 40lb bag of pellets in my 2x4. I'm not sure exactly how long it lasts because I've never had to change it out because of the pellets condition. I usually end up moving the cage or needed pet sitters (and thus removing fleece completely) which causes me to replace the pellets prematurely. I honestly think I can go another 3 months before changing them out. That's 6 months on a 40 lb bag that cost only $7. Those are savings I can put toward top quality pellets and veggies.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I'm actually having a similar experience @Wheekers135 . I thought I must be doing something wrong since I just don't LOVE the pellets!

I've used wood pellets and fleece from the start (except for the first few weeks when they lived in a pet store cage with aspen shavings). My cage is 2x6 with 3 piggies in it and I have about 60lbs of pellets in there. They've been in there for about 3 weeks and I would say at least 50% of them have broken down in to dust. When I change my fleece and stir the pellets it creates a lot of dust in the air. Also when I change the fleece there are a TON of wood pellets stuck to the bottom of it, which is just gross to brush them all off without making a mess of the whole room. And, I find that my fleece just gets gross and smelly (stubbornly stuck hay pieces, veggie juice stains, fur, etc.) and that I often change it twice a week. Maybe the pellets I have are not good quality? Not sure.

I'm trying fleece and U-Haul pads for my new upper level. If it isn't smelly, I might switch to that on my main level too. I have easy access to laundry, so not a big deal to do 2 loads of piggy laundry a week. So I can run a side-by-side comparison for the next few weeks and let you know!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pellets break down into packed sawdust. That's what they're supposed to do. And you do have to change the fleece often enough to keep the food off of it, or it will​ smell.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
So @bpatters how long can you keep using it once it gets to packed sawdust? Does it keep absorbing more urine? I thought you had to stir it because the sawdust did not absorb, so you need to bring fresh pellets to the top.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Forever, as far as I can tell. As I said, I went 11 weeks, and only changed them because I needed a completely cleaned cage. With a large cage, I can't see any reason that you can't go for at least 4-5 months.

emilia0830

Cavy Slave
How do you get the fleece to lay flat on top of the pellets? Today mine discovered that they could dig themselves between the pellets and the fleece. When I came home from work all 4 were under the fleece.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I use 2 layers of very thin fleece over the pellets. The top layer gets changed out frequently (5 days or so). It gets soiled with poop, hay, and miscellaneous piggy debris on top, but because it is not in direct contact with the pellets/dust, it takes only 1 minute to swap it out with new fleece.

I love this idea! I think I might try a layer of suedecloth on the bottom because it is smooth on the back so the pellets don't stick to it. Then pretty fleece on top. Thanks for the tip!

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
You can also take a spray bottle filled with water and lightly spray down the fresh pellets to turn them to sawdust and pack down before putting the fleece on there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.