Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Popcorning Pigtures! And new piggies!

Rocky5

Cavy Slave
**I couldn't find a better prefix**

I recently got a significantly large raise and Have been upgrading cages and getting toys and pigloos and tunnels. My dad's co-worker had 2 pigs that needed a new home so he asked if I would like them. Of course I said yes! I brought them home and put them in the 3x6 cage I built about a wheek ago. They were doing popcorns and running laps and it was beautiful. I let them settle in for a few hours and when I came back Blake had jumped from his bunk bed into their cage. It went woderfully though they were so happy all 3 cuddled in the pigloo. I gave them a bath together so they would bond even more and also the newbies smelled gross. I decided to keep them together since there is no point in separating them to reintroduce them.

Attachments

20150618_205015.jpg 20150618_205012.jpg 20150622_173307.jpg 20150622_173234.jpg 20150622_173354 (1).jpg

Rocky5

Cavy Slave
The top 2 is a pigture of the 3x6 cage the 3 males are living in, the ones with the 3 pigs is Blake the grey agouti, the duller 1 withe the white face is named snickers because he has chocolate, caramel, and nougat coloring and the orange, black, and white semi striped 1 is named Toro because that is how you pronounce the japanese word for tiger :) They are the sweetest piggies I have ever met and they are both very very tame (Snickers is sitting on my lap right now content to lay on my arm while I'm typing :D ) Snickers is dominate over Blake while Blake is dominate over Toro and Toro is dominate over Snickers. Has anyone ever had these type of weird ranking dynamics?

cavycrazy1107

Cavy Gazer
Your pigs are so cute! I'm sitting next to my cage and I read the name of one of your piggies is Snickers and I told one of my boys he stole his name ( He is also a Snickers!) That is a giant cage too! Mine is only a 2x5. I have a question though, How do your boys get along? I have been wanting a third for awhile and want some advice from someone with three boars. Get back to me on that and if they are as troublesome as mine Good Luck. :D Lol.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
So now that they are all together, are you going to add the two cages together to increase the space?

Rocky5

Cavy Slave
cavycrazy1107 Thank you so much :) I honestly didn't do anything. Blake just decided to be a brat and jump in their cage. I have had 3 boars together before this in a 2x4 C&C cage because they were old (Blake was a year old, Calvin was 9 years old, and Cinnamon was almost 9 years old) and didn't run much I kept it a 2x4 so Blake could run but Calvin and Cinnamon were just so elderly they just cuddled with eachother in their pigloo occasionally letting Blake inside :) As for introducing I was lucky that 3 adults worked so well. If I were you I would expand the cage to at least a 2x6 bigger is always better. The few times I had to introduce piggies when I was new to cavy slaving some couples or trios I would have them have floor time together and watch them for a few hours to make sure everyone is getting along them after I made sure they were getting along I would deep clean the cage they were going into (soak grids, coroplast, and anything else that you will have in there in vinegar to get rid of smell then rinse with water and dry). Also change to floor plan so it's a completely different cage. Give them a group bath using guinea pig or bunny or kitten shampoo before putting them in the cage. If 1 is disturbing the peace a little, lather him up and rinse thoroughly. Put them in the new cage and make sure no fights break out. Give each pig its own sleeping arrangments such as a pigloo per pig and a pellet bowl, veggie bowl or pile, water bottle, and hay pile per pig also. They are probably more troublesome wheeking at me at all hours of the day/night to give them *more* veggies. It's like they tune it to be just as I'm falling to sleep. Also Toro and Blake are chattering teeth at eachother because Blake wants that pigloo not the 1 right beside it. In about 5 minutes they are all going to be inside the 1 pigloo completely asleep. During this Snickers is just eating his pellets staring at them like "what's wrong guys?"

lunarminx, no not for a few weeks. I am going to be fostering piggies and the 3x6 is a sort of quarantine area and cage. After I find a friend or 2 for Gibby I am going to focus on finding a few more pig friends for the trio then I'll connect the 3x4 to the 3x6 with a bridge because there is a table in the way of complete connection. After this I am going to build another cage for the sole purpose of fostering :)

Amanda Marie

Cavy Slave
@cavycrazy1107 I have a trio of boars as well. Rudy who is 5 1/2, Merlin 5 months, and Miloh 5 months. I would get some younger boys or boy is your looking to add to your piggies. Though it would also depend on all the pigs personalities. If you have a dominate pig try to find one that is more submissive and calm. Rudy gets along with almost anyone he even has let Miloh be boss pig as he doesn't seem to care about being the head pig and never has. he lets them do whatever they want so its all about the personality and the bonding process. Good luck. Also @Rocky5 love your pigs, my Shadow did the same thing, he got out of his cage and went and instead of running my room and getting lost he went straight to Dexters (RIP) cage and got in, they were friends for a while it was quite funny. Hopefully he isn't hurt? I am happy its working out though

cavycrazy1107

Cavy Gazer
So a trio of boars works well? My one piggie is a bit more dominant, but the pig I'm looking at is submissive and young. My other piggie is submissive and care free. If his brother is wheeking, so is he. If his brother is eating, then so is he. :D It is quite funny. @Amanda Marie and @Rocky5 thanks for the advice. I know what you mean when they wheek at the worst times possible. I will be heading to bed and they will wheek like crazy.

Rocky5

Cavy Slave
Amanda Marie cute, cute. Pigtures? No hurt piggies which is great :)

cavycrazy1107 That's like saying a pair of piggies does well, it does but it depends on personality. They sound just like my piggles wheeking at all hours of the night

cavycrazy1107

Cavy Gazer
Hahaha ikr! @Rocky5 all I have to do is convince my mom and I just know my piggies will welcome the new guy with a warm heart.

Rocky5

Cavy Slave
Good luck convincing them! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.