Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food Favorite Veggies/Fruits [emoji16]

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
@PotterThePiggie Thats interesting about it being more of a male problem than a female problem I've never actually heard that before! but, I Only have Female pigs so i really don't know If it happens more in males :)

I think it's really 50/50 personally lol but I've only had boars. Lily is my first sow.

-PotterThePiggie

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
My male you can't tell since his fur is a darker brown but my females they have lighter fur and they get blueberry mustaches lol

I bet it's the cutest thing! I love when they get little food mustaches [emoji1]

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Ok, I'm still real new at the piggy thing here, just got my two girls last Saturday. They are adults, so I'm not worried about that. I printed out the what to eat and not eat charts and now I'm really confused. I've just read how everyone is limiting their pigs on how much lettuce they give, yet the chart has the leaf lettuces as almost daily. I give my girls lettuce in the morning and at night, they LOVE their lettuce and gobble it up so fast, the same with their cherry tomatoes, which are their favorites. Don't come between my pigs and their 'matoes!!! It also says on the chart that one bang carrot a day is ok, but someone told me that two a day was also ok, they love their carrots and green peppers and I just introduced cilantro and they gobble that up as well. Am I feeding them too much? Oh my, they loved the slice of apple and gobbled that down, I tried a raspberry for each, but they were more interested in their hay! So scratch the raspberries. I then tried a strawberry and they ate it ok. Can I give them each one after cutting off the leaves and taking out the core or can I leave that part on? So far they've had two total strawberries since I brought them home. Being diabetic myself, I know that strawberries and watermelon are good fruits to eat because they have less natural sugar than the rest, but I want them to be a treat. I've also tried cucumber, which they love and zucchini, which is not so much. Am I over feeding them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Oh, and my order of KMS pellets and 2nd cut hay arrived today. I gave them the hay and they loved it. I hand fed them a couple of the pellets and they took them and scarfed them down. Now I'm off to Walmart to get air tight containers to put them in. Woo Hoo!!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know who's limiting lettuce, unless it's to the 1 cup or so of veggies that pigs are supposed to have per day. You shouldn't overfeed veggies. Hay is far more important to their diet, and if they come to prefer veggies over hay, then you've got a problem.

But fruit has a lot of sugar, and should be limited to only a small piece as a treat, occasionally.

Other than that, it's not an exact science. Some carrot chunks are pretty big, others are smaller.

Don't overdo the cilantro. It's like romaine lettuce -- some pigs will have calcium problems with it, others won't. Pay attention to their urine, and if you're noticing a lot of white spots, then cut it out.

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
I don't know who's limiting lettuce, unless it's to the 1 cup or so of veggies that pigs are supposed to have per day. You shouldn't overfeed veggies. Hay is far more important to their diet, and if they come to prefer veggies over hay, then you've got a problem.

But fruit has a lot of sugar, and should be limited to only a small piece as a treat, occasionally.

Other than that, it's not an exact science. Some carrot chunks are pretty big, others are smaller.

Don't overdo the cilantro. It's like romaine lettuce -- some pigs will have calcium problems with it, others won't. Pay attention to their urine, and if you're noticing a lot of white spots, then cut it out.

Trust me, they love their hay!!! Even the stuff I got to start with from Walmart. When the hay would get to the point where they couldn't get any more out of the dumb rack I bought, Sweet Pea literally goes underneath it and starts flipping it up in the air - hint momma, we want more!!! I crack up each time!!! But I will cut back a little on the veggies as a whole, don't want my piggies to become pigs! Bwahahaha!!! I forgot to weigh them when I brought them home, so I will start tomorrow now that I have the log book from KMS. I know, but for my first babies, I want to know what I'm doing. After that book is filled, than we get a binder.

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
@koalamissy if you need help with what to feed you can use my chart I posted it earlier in this thread :) it's very helpful because it ensures that your pigs aren't getting Too much of one vegetable !

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
@koalamissy if you need help with what to feed you can use my chart I posted it earlier in this thread :) it's very helpful because it ensures that your pigs aren't getting Too much of one vegetable !

Thanks Simpsonspiggie8, I saved it for future reference so I don't have to try to remember where it was. [emoji194]

heather81

Cavy Slave
I adopted our second piggy from the local rescue, Wee Companions. They gave me the chart below on feeding which was a big help, but it isn't nearly as inclusive as the chart on here. I still use that as a guide but have branched out using the chart on here as far as what's safe and how often it's okay to give.

https://r.b5z.net/i/u/10116425/f/8-1-2014-Vegetables.pdf

My boys love their food, especially carrots, bell pepper, grape tomatoes, cilantro, and cucumber.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.