Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Toys

Bella13

Cavy Slave
Hello. I'm new to guinea pigs and was wondering if anyone had suggestions about what toys you like the best. I have two females.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392330913.305020.jpg

Thanks!!!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
those 99 cent cat balls with bells are a hit for my pigs. I am constantly having to toss them back into the cage.
boxes are fun as well
they like having something to dig in as well. sometimes I'll make sure of my shredded personal papers. I'll get a kitty litter pan or two and dump the shredded papers in there and they have fun digging and soiling it. Sometimes they'll nibble on it, but no issues to report.

WheekingPiggies

Cavy Slave
Toys involving food always seem to go over best with my piggies! I like to put veggies on kabob like this to make them work for their food.
Toilet paper tubes are great as well! You can stuff them with hay and make other toys out of them, too.
I have made my girls a hay ball like in this tutorial and they loved it.
I don't know if this falls under toys or not, but tunnels are a must! You can make a tunnel out of an oatmeal container, as well as one out of a bent grid and book cover. You can also buy willow tunnels, bendable bridges, thick cardboard tubes, and many others.
I also recommend a fleece forest. They are super easy to make. Here's a thread telling how: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/67935-Easy-Fleece-Forest?highlight=fleece+forest (There are pictures further down.)

Bella13

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your responses! I now have some ideas for toys. :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Mine love anything that hangs really, so I basically got a rope, pierced some holes in some veggie chunks, threaded it, and hung it from the side of the cage :) They had great fun trying to stretch up the top to get the very last pieces...typical pigs, go the easy route to food first then get frustrated when they can't reach the rest!

Bella13

Cavy Slave
That's a neat idea to hang the food. It's makes them work for there food!
On a different note, does anyone know what types of treats are the best? I know that all natural is the best, but is there any store bought treats that are healthy?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I'd steer away from treat all together, none are healthy really, particularly store bought. Most have seeds in anyway, which are a choking hazard. Offer fruit as the occasional (weekly at most) treat.

Bella13

Cavy Slave
Yeah that's what I thought. Thanks for the help! I think I'll try some strawberries weekly (or less) as a treat and see how that works out for me and the piggys :)

pineapplepigs

Cavy Slave
I'd steer away from treat all together, none are healthy really, particularly store bought. Most have seeds in anyway, which are a choking hazard. Offer fruit as the occasional (weekly at most) treat.

Oxbow has some great treats that are a ht with my piggies I don't see anything wrong with them. They have mostly timothy biscuits and freeze dried fruit (a big hit with my pigs)

Last edited:

Bella13

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your input, I'm ordering more food today from oxbow so maybe I'll also order some freeze dried fruit to.

Wheekers135

Cavy Slave
My pigs love toilet paper tubes! And especially if you stuff hay in them. And also the knot nibblers from petsmart are a big hit also. If you are looking for healthier treats, try vitakraft nibble rings and oxbow Timothy treats.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Oxbow has some great treats that are a ht with my piggies I don't see anything wrong with them. They have mostly timothy biscuits and freeze dried fruit (a big hit with my pigs)

No treats bought in a store are good. Those biscuits probably have molasses or something to that effect that makes it junk. Freeze dried fruit is junk. Much better if you want to do an occasional fruit to do fresh.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Freeze dried fruit has no nutritional value either. Honestly, store bought/commercial treats are packed with crap you shouldn't really feed your piggies. Like those edible treat log things, they might be 'suitable for guinea pigs', but it doesn't mean they actually are. Heck, things with seeds in are marketed as suitable and they 100% aren't. Your pigs will appreciate a slice of apple, or some watermelon rind, much much more.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I feel like freeze dried fruit would pose a choking hazard.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig also likes those cat balls with the bells in them. She also like those little snak shak stuffed logs. There are two kinds one from wild harvest and snak shak so which ever you can get a hold of. They are stuffed with hay and a bunch of other snacks. Those are the two that my guinea pig really like. She also like those willow bar-bel things, mine ate her's in the first day so you may want to get two or a larger one. They come in like 3 sizes. Pretty much anything hard, and entertaining. Some pigs like those kabob things that hang on the cage and you can add wood chews, licks and other munchies. I got one but she got tired of it farely quickly. And as she's gotten older she can't lift herself up to get it. She is also a cuy so she is much bigger than a normal pig. Here's a pigture-

uploadfromtaptalk1392570812335.jpg

There are all sorts of things that are suitable for them it really depends on the pig. Some pigs won't even bother with some toys. You just have to find out what your pigs like and don't like. But all those above are the ones my piggie likes. Although I don't know a guinea pig that doesn't cat bell balls. Pretty much anything that has a bell or rattles they will love. Mine whenever I get her a new bell ball and she hears the bell rattle she'll squeek like crazy it is so funny. :):D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.