Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Need new cage ideas?

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hello all!

So...I currently house 2 pigs in a 2x6 with a 2x2 loft (used as a kitchen).

I might be adopting 2-3 new sows in the next month. It's just a possibility.

So, I have been wanting to expand a bit.

Since I have got a new bunny cage, I have less room in the area where I keep my pets.

I can't expand outward, so I would have to expand to the side, or add a level.

So I don't know which way I could expand.

So, any ideas?

Obviously, I have a second plan if my pigs don't bond with the other ones.

They would just live in a separate cage.

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
You could expand out and add a level. Idk what the recommended size would b for 4-5 piggies..

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Making the cage 3 grids wide or " L" shaped is what you'd have to do. Levels don't add square footage. For 5 pigs the recommended size is a 2x6.

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
Looks like the recommended cage size for 4 piggies is a 2 by 6, which u already have. :)

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Looks like the recommended cage size for 4 piggies is a 2 by 6, which u already have. :)
It's actually the bare minimum. I would do an L shape, if you have that ability. The recommended size for 4 pigs states "more is better." I think that'd be a really cool cage if it was an L. :)

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
It's actually the bare minimum. I would do an L shape, if you have that ability. The recommended size for 4 pigs states "more is better." I think that'd be a really cool cage if it was an L. :)

The L shape is a cool idea.. but Idk why the minimum is listed if it's really not good enough. Just sayin, not trying to be rude but that's confusing. Of course bigger is better tho.. but the list should reflect what would be satisfactory in my opinion.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
The L shape is a cool idea.. but Idk why the minimum is listed if it's really not good enough. Just sayin, not trying to be rude but that's confusing. Of course bigger is better tho.. but the list should reflect what would be satisfactory in my opinion.
Well, it is "good enough" just not exactly spacious. I see what your saying. But, look at this as an example:
To not have harmful results, you need a minimum of "x" minutes of exercise.
But, that's the bare minimum. The best results and a healthier person will result from "x" minutes of exercise.

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
Well, it is "good enough" just not exactly spacious. I see what your saying. But, look at this as an example:
To not have harmful results, you need a minimum of "x" minutes of exercise.
But, that's the bare minimum. The best results and a healthier person will result from "x" minutes of exercise.

It's like would a person be happier in an apartment or a house with a yard? Not to offend anyone, I live in an apartment. Just an example. The list is just confusing to me, especially when it comes to male pigs who need more space. Before I joined this site I was here several times and saw the chart, but I didn't know until recently that boys need more room then is specified (I have sows). But if someone was to just look at the chart not knowing anything else it's not very clear. Maybe it states the male thing, but if it does then I missed it. I think it goes without saying anyway that making the biggest cage that your space would allow would be best. I hope I'm not offending anyone, I'm just bring up a thought. :)

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
Hello all!

So...I currently house 2 pigs in a 2x6 with a 2x2 loft (used as a kitchen).

I might be adopting 2-3 new sows in the next month. It's just a possibility.

So, I have been wanting to expand a bit.

Since I have got a new bunny cage, I have less room in the area where I keep my pets.

I can't expand outward, so I would have to expand to the side, or add a level.

So I don't know which way I could expand.

So, any ideas?

Obviously, I have a second plan if my pigs don't bond with the other ones.

They would just live in a separate cage.

So you are hoping to keep all the piggies together in one cage? So that would be 4-5 piggies. Sounds like such fun to have so many!

Did you also use grids to make a rabbit cage? I confess to rabbit's being my first love (dare I say that on a piggie forum, lol). Since you house 2 piggies in a roomy 2x6, I assume your rabbit cage is equally large.

Maybe you can post some photos of your room and fellow members might be able to offer some expansion ideas based around your existing cages and the space you have.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
It's like would a person be happier in an apartment or a house with a yard? Not to offend anyone, I live in an apartment. Just an example. The list is just confusing to me, especially when it comes to male pigs who need more space. Before I joined this site I was here several times and saw the chart, but I didn't know until recently that boys need more room then is specified (I have sows). But if someone was to just look at the chart not knowing anything else it's not very clear. Maybe it states the male thing, but if it does then I missed it. I think it goes without saying anyway that making the biggest cage that your space would allow would be best. I hope I'm not offending anyone, I'm just bring up a thought. :)
That list is just a generic standard. No, it doesn't go into much detail. Of course, it'd be hard to. Proper guinea pig owners have to have some responsibility to search for detailed care themselves.

Bottom line, the more space the better. There's a minimum for cage space but if you can expand it you should.

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
That list is just a generic standard. No, it doesn't go into much detail. Of course, it'd be hard to. Proper guinea pig owners have to have some responsibility to search for detailed care themselves.

True.. That's what makes this forum so great. :) I've learned things that I might not ever need to know (like pregnant piggy stuff). I think if u have an animal u should take the time to learn as much as u can.. just in case. ;-)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Agreed @Guineapigpro. I mean, while the minimum is a safe, satisfactory living space, that's really there for those who can't afford to/don't have the space to go bigger. I mean, even before I joined the forum, I researched cage size on other sites and found that to have the optimum cage you need to go bigger.

You could do an L shape, and you could also go for closet shelving, and have less guinea pigs per cage. If someone could post a photo of closet shelving to help me explain, that'd be great, because I can't find one, and apparently can't find the right words to explain how it works haha!

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
Sorry we got off topic, @CallieLovesPigs ! I would suggest a L shape, or you could consider making it a 2x2 and 3x4. The 2x2 + 3x4 would be really cool, I think. I would make the overall of the cage a little wider. Maybe, of you have the resources, you could even add a 2x1 to make it a 3x6. Otherwise, one of these will suit too.

Attachments

image.jpg

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
@Gandalf Yes, My bunny cage is 3 grids high, 3 grids long, and 2 grids wide. It has 3 levels. My bunny was kept in a pet-store cage, and she is much happier now! She also has free range of my room all day :)

@Guineapigpro I like the L shape idea. I think if I move my bunny cage somewhere else, I can add an expansion of an L-shape.

I will try to post pictures later.

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
@CallieLovesPigs - Yes, sorry we strayed from ur topic. When you said you can expand out the side does that mean you have enough room to turn ur 2 by 6 into a 3 by 6? Depending on how you have ur rabbit cage positioned you could make the L shape wrap around that a bit..

Traysea

Cavy Slave
My vote is bump out to a 3x6 if you can. Although that might present some complications if you have sewn fleece liners. Bumping out to a 3 wide will give them more than enough space to hopefully get along, and allow them to run large laps. If you're piggy cage is stacked onto your bunny cage then go into an L shape for both the bunny and the piggies :O)

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I use fleece flippers, so I would have to either figure out a way to fit more, or sew a liner.
Again, I'm pretty sure if I move my bunny cage I could a make a 3x6 and a little L-shape expansion.
But, If I was to do this, I would have to take away my cage stand.
So does anyone have any advice for removing a cage stand?

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I just measured, and I will have room for the 3x6 and also the L expansion. I better get to sewing my fleece liners! :)

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
A 3x6 AND an L shape? Woohoo! Your pigs are going to have a little celebration! A new friend and a huge cage! I'd say if you can, do the piggie intro and introduce the new cage all in one day, so that literally everything is new.

To remove the stand, just make sure your pigs aren't in the cage!

Also, out of curiosity, how big is the extension? Theres no sort of requirement to meet a certain size, (because you've already exceeded it).

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
@Guineapigpro obviously the 3x6, and then the L expansion would probably be 2x1 or 2x2

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.