Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Our girl's left (shoulder/ribs?) are really protruding on one side all of the sudden

GracieLollie

Cavy Slave
Our girl has a large protruding shoulder/rib on her one side. It wasn't like that and boy can you notice it now! She's acting a little different, more slow, less active, doesn't jump up as much for her treats, etc. not by a ton, but noticeable. She turned 5 the other month. This doesn't appear to be an external thing, her bones are protruding out so much that you can see this big hump on her side - and this is with her hair you can see it out that far. She's an Abyssinian. She's with her sister in her soft cage and hasn't had any injuries of any kind. Does anyone know or have heard of something like this? I barely know how to describe it as it's just so bizarre to me. It came on all of the sudden. Thanks.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Has she injured that area recently? Maybe post a photo

GracieLollie

Cavy Slave
Here's a picture I just took. You can see how her left side is sticking way out. I can't imagine what this is. She didn't get hurt/injured. 3 days ago this was not there.

Attachments

IMG_1428.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know what it is, but I'd definitely be seeing an exotic vet to find out.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've been thinking about your little girl and I was wondering how she is? Really hoping she's ok.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave

GracieLollie

Cavy Slave
Update: Thank you for your thoughts! So the bulge has gotten bigger, she looks like a hunchback. It's like her entire ribcage has expanded and this all just in a week. The only other symptom is her poops look JUST like baby guinea poops, small. I called the Vets in my city and of course nobody does anything but nail trims and general exams. I may actually start a poll or something in a new thread someday to see if any vet has really helped any of our little piggies successfully. We have not had the best of luck with vets working on them in the past. We refuse to have our little piggies go through a major or somewhat major surgery as we all know that's super iffy on them. Anyways, she's luckily still eating, drinking and loves her treats, but she doesn't jump up on the wall anymore and lays around much more. My wife and I are very worried, but we're realistic that it's probably something that can't be corrected realistically even if there was a vet in town that "worked" on these poor little guys. Thank you.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Check your private messages @GracieLollie. I want to talk.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
If she has tiny poops, something is wrong internally also or she isn't eating as much. Also bad if they are pointy or teardrop shape. Is there a vet further away she can see?

GracieLollie

Cavy Slave
They are pointy and small. Now really small. The bulge grew out of nowhere so quickly and progressed so much. I watched a video of a younger pig in England who had a large lump that they surgically removed and the vet said if it was any bigger we couldn't operate as there'd be no way to connect the skin to sew her up. That was much smaller than our bulge on the first day we saw it. Plus ours isn't just under the skin, it's deep within her. Today she could barely eat this morning, the end is near I'm afraid. I doubt she makes it another couple of days. Not sure to have her put down or have her go naturally. There are pro's and con's to both. She wasn't really suffering too much up until last night and especially this morning. I don't know how much, but her body's shutting down as of last night quicker and she's sleeping most of the day now (and yesterday), where as of 2-3 days ago she was out and eating much more. So many tears for us.

JmBrown89

Cavy Gazer
They are pointy and small. Now really small. The bulge grew out of nowhere so quickly and progressed so much. I watched a video of a younger pig in England who had a large lump that they surgically removed and the vet said if it was any bigger we couldn't operate as there'd be no way to connect the skin to sew her up. That was much smaller than our bulge on the first day we saw it. Plus ours isn't just under the skin, it's deep within her. Today she could barely eat this morning, the end is near I'm afraid. I doubt she makes it another couple of days. Not sure to have her put down or have her go naturally. There are pro's and con's to both. She wasn't really suffering too much up until last night and especially this morning. I don't know how much, but her body's shutting down as of last night quicker and she's sleeping most of the day now (and yesterday), where as of 2-3 days ago she was out and eating much more. So many tears for us.

It seems to me that this is a very serious problem if her tumor has grown. You urgently need to find her a doctor who can deal with this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.