Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Wanting a 3rd Guinea, any help

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
First off. Can i fit 3 guineas in a 2x5 cage comfortably? i havnt owned a cnc cage before so i dont know what their capable of

2nd im from Des moines Iowa and wanted a guinea kinda like this one. Im not sure what their called or if i could even find one. But if anyone can help me id appreciate it. Want a female cuz my other 2 are females

ILovePiggies456

Cavy Slave
A 2 by 5 should be good for three female guinea pigs, but keep in mind that bigger is better. This page has the cage size standards: https://www.guineapigcages.com/.

Here is a craigslist posting in your area for a female guinea pig being re-homed:

(broken link removed)

Last edited:

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
A 2 by 5 should be good for three female guinea pigs, but keep in mind that bigger is better. This page has the cage size standards: https://www.guineapigcages.com/.

I understand bigger is better and would love a 20' x 20' cage if i could lol. But i have no where in my house to hold a 2x6. a 2x5 is pushing it. But i wont go any lower than that

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just be warned that if you try to add a third pig to an existing pair, you may interrupt that pair bond, and wind up with one of them on the outs with the other two, or even with three pigs that won't live with any other pig.

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
Anyone know what kinda pig that is?

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Just be warned that if you try to add a third pig to an existing pair, you may interrupt that pair bond, and wind up with one of them on the outs with the other two, or even with three pigs that won't live with any other pig.

That's what I was thinking. Usually 3 there is an odd man out or no one gets along anymore. If that happens, be prepared to get a 4th and a second cage...

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I agree 100% with being prepared for a trio not to work. Introducing a new guinea pig into an already bonded pair can be very difficult. Like @Artista mentions you need to be ready for it not to work and you need to have a plan in place.

I speak from experience, my trio of sows failed and I had to adopt another pig and make room for another cage.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Breed goes by hair type, not color. He is an American Shorthair. It's one of the most common breeds.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Maybe I just got lucky, but I've never had huge problems with introductions. I've had as many as 5 females at one time, and they all came from different places at different times and at different ages. Some intros took a little longer, but they ultimately all got along and shared a cage together.

Red5Iam

Cavy Slave
There is hope that 3 sows could get along, since I have a sow trio right now that all get along really great. BUT before putting them together I prepared for the idea that it may wreck everything. Fortunately, I think, because my girls are all relatively young, and hadn't been together more than a month or so, it was a little easier. But I imagine your circumstances are probably different. Be prepared for an adverse reaction, and give yourself plenty of time to do the intros correctly. And make sure you quarantine the new girl for at least 3 weeks before introducing her to your other piggies.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
its not advisable to get a 3rd pig as they may not get along. you have to have a plan in place if it doesn't work out...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.