Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Hay Rack Help!!

Rach84

Cavy Slave
In my never ending attempt to make my boys cages perfect I have attempted to bend a grid into a nice big hay rack for my pair!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388585794.668069.jpg

I've tried many other hay rack options but Dexter in particular loves to pull them off an empty the hay everywhere!! Just wondered if people thought this looked right? Altho how do you guys stop the hay touching the fleece at the bottom? I shoved a piece of cardboard down the back as the first handful I shoved in ended up alllll over the carpet!! :)

Hope this all makes sense!! :) xx

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I put a kitchen under my hay rack because my guinea pigs do the same thing. They pull their hay down and it gets everywhere and smells. Silly guinea pigs.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
I wasn't sure if a kitchen would just take away too much floor space for them?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388588723.206309.jpg

Or do you just have the hay in the kitchen and the food outside it? Xx

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
They can run through the kitchen as they run around. My young guys pull all the hay out of the rack, the old men hate having one. I put it down and in the rack, pulling some out so they learn to use the rack. No matter, they hay ends up out of the rack, so basically they have a hay box.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I use a hay bag, it creates much less mess in general but a box under the hay will help catch the stray mess. Your cage is big enough that you could put in a 1x2 kitchen without much of a problem. I find my pigs even jump over the low walls of my kitchen and I feel like that gives them exercise too.

1491749_10202445614238828_2002881739_n.jpg

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I made a kitchen loft for the hay and food/water. It keeps the hay contained up there and off of the fleece. The loft also keeps the main level more open for running laps.
With this set up, I put fresh hay in their bin a couple/few times a day.

Here's a photo of just the loft which is midway up the main cage wall.

100_9399.jpg

BrendaMarie

Cavy Slave
I was putting hay on the cage floor for my piggies. As you can imagine, it was quite a mess. I read somewhere that someone made hay sacks out of old pillow cases. I cut 2 of them in half and ended up with 4 sacks (sewed by hand 2 of them on the bottom) Using a few binder clips this has worked out great. My piggies can now be found hiding in there too. I wash them daily in the sink but that's not really that hard considering how much mess I used to have and how little mess I have now LOL

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have a litterbox under my girls hay, so not only does it contain the majority of their hay, it contains the majority of their..leavings, shall we say haha. I clean it out at least once a day, obviously, to cut back on scent, but when you have pigs that love to pull hay out, it really helps!

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Another idea along those same lines would be to use one of those fabric bags that hold plastic grocery bags.

I was putting hay on the cage floor for my piggies. As you can imagine, it was quite a mess. I read somewhere that someone made hay sacks out of old pillow cases. I cut 2 of them in half and ended up with 4 sacks (sewed by hand 2 of them on the bottom) Using a few binder clips this has worked out great. My piggies can now be found hiding in there too. I wash them daily in the sink but that's not really that hard considering how much mess I used to have and how little mess I have now LOL

lissie

Cavy Slave
Altho how do you guys stop the hay touching the fleece at the bottom?

If you put coroplast the bottom and comes up about 1 - 2 inches, it will help keep hay off your fleece. Also line the back with a piece of coroplast that's wide enough the cover the whole back. Zip tie the coro to the grid.

If you don't have scrap pieces of coroplast, cardboard should work too.

See this page.
(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.