Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet vetafarm cavy origins?? good or bad?

Piggyziggy

Cavy Slave
Before I get guinea pigs lol I want to be ready and know whats would be okay in a diet. People told me to get oxbow pellets because they are the best of the best. The thing is if I get that I am not allowed to get timothy hay. I can only get oaten or lucerne. They dont look very fresh and only come in 1kg bags. However if i get Vetafarm Cavy Origins, I will be allowed to get get oxbow western timothy hay. Its looks very fresh and although not cheap I might be able to get it.

Which diet should i give them?
Vetafarm Cavy Origins pellets with Oxbow Western timothy hay---OR---Oxbow cavy cuisine pellets with oaten or lucerne hay.
these will both have daily veggies included.

P.S I live in australia

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Why would you only be allowed one or the other?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) Are these the pellets you're referring to?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you have to choose between oaten and lucerne hay, pick the oaten. Lucerne is alfalfa, which isn't a grass hay. Oaten is higher in calcium than timothy hay, so depending on the age of the pigs, you may have to watch their calcium intake very carefully.

Hay is far more important in a pig's diet than pellets. You may need a nutritional supplement if you choose not to feed pellets, but your pigs should be fine with that.

However, buying 1 kg. bags of hay is WAY more expensive than ordering it in bulk or buying it from a local farmer. If you look around, you should be able to find something local.

Piggyziggy

Cavy Slave
Why would you only be allowed one or the other?

(broken link removed) Are these the pellets you're referring to?

I'm only allowed one or the other because oxbow cavy cuisine and oxbow timothy hay is very expensive in my pet supply store. And my mum and dad will only let me buy one of the them. I tried to convince them and even though i will be paying for the guinea pigs myself they still wont let me. I want them to have some source of timothy hay which i think is also found in the oxbow cavy cuisine.

Yes they are the pellets.. Are they okay?

Piggyziggy

Cavy Slave
If you have to choose between oaten and lucerne hay, pick the oaten. Lucerne is alfalfa, which isn't a grass hay. Oaten is higher in calcium than timothy hay, so depending on the age of the pigs, you may have to watch their calcium intake very carefully.

Hay is far more important in a pig's diet than pellets. You may need a nutritional supplement if you choose not to feed pellets, but your pigs should be fine with that.

However, buying 1 kg. bags of hay is WAY more expensive than ordering it in bulk or buying it from a local farmer. If you look around, you should be able to find something local.
Thank you, I will look into it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They don't get enough hay in pellets to make any difference in their hay consumption. Pellets are just a convenient way to get them their vitamins and minerals.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Vetafarm pellets are pretty poor quality, I'd go with the Oxbow pellets and Oaten Hay (which is what I use). I buy a bale of Oaten Hay for $16 (it's roughly 30kg of hay), but you can get some good quality hay online at (broken link removed). I've ordered from them several times (Meadow and Oaten) and have been really happy with the quality of the hay.

Where abouts in Australia are you? If you're in Vic/Melbourne I can get you some more links to local places that stock hay.

Piggyziggy

Cavy Slave
Vetafarm pellets are pretty poor quality, I'd go with the Oxbow pellets and Oaten Hay (which is what I use). I buy a bale of Oaten Hay for $16 (it's roughly 30kg of hay), but you can get some good quality hay online at (broken link removed). I've ordered from them several times (Meadow and Oaten) and have been really happy with the quality of the hay.

Where abouts in Australia are you? If you're in Vic/Melbourne I can get you some more links to local places that stock hay.
I live in Victoria, melbournelolin the south eastern suburbs... or atleast around there. Maybe just eastern suburbs. ?
That would be great thanks for your help.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Excellent! I live in the outer northern suburbs (Epping/South Morang area). You can get a bale of hay delivered to your house from https://www.pethorsefarm.com.au/, it's good quality hay and if you get a bale buddy (I got one from Horseland for $20), a bale can last 12-18 months if stored correctly. They are in the Flemington area but deliver all over Melbourne, I know another cavy owner who lives in Eastern Melbourne (starts with an M I think?) who gets it from them and she's very happy with it.

Also...you are adopting right? We have lots and lots of homeless pigs in Melbourne.

Edit: You can also purchase hay from the Melbourne Rabbit Clinic in Hallam, apparently it's really nice atm.

Last edited:

Piggyziggy

Cavy Slave
Excellent! I live in the outer northern suburbs (Epping/South Morang area). You can get a bale of hay delivered to your house from https://www.pethorsefarm.com.au/, it's good quality hay and if you get a bale buddy (I got one from Horseland for $20), a bale can last 12-18 months if stored correctly. They are in the Flemington area but deliver all over Melbourne, I know another cavy owner who lives in Eastern Melbourne (starts with an M I think?) who gets it from them and she's very happy with it.
Also...you are adopting right? We have lots and lots of homeless pigs in Melbourne.

Edit: You can also purchase hay from the Melbourne Rabbit Clinic in Hallam, apparently it's really nice atm.
Thank you so much. i will have a look right now!!
Yes i will be adopting hopefully!!! lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.