Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating New pig will not eat... Am I just paranoid?

ryliem

Cavy Slave
I just got a new guinea pig this morning at around 11:00 am Its 1:05 and he still hasn't touched his food. He has pellets, hay, and bell peppers. Is he just getting used to his new home or is he sick?

Cashmerescavies

Cavy Slave
I just got a new guinea pig this morning at around 11:00 am Its 1:05 and he still hasn't touched his food. He has pellets, hay, and bell peppers. Is he just getting used to his new home or is he sick?

If you just got him it's possible he's just stressed. But if he continues to not eat after more than a few days, take him to the vet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@ryliem, most new pigs are very hesitant to eat. Drape a sheet or something over the end of the cage to protect him from the eagles he is certain are flying around your house. Put his hidey underneath that, right by the water bottle, and put his food right by the door of the hidey, or even inside. Check every few hours to see if he's eaten anything. He should be eating by morning.

@Cashmerescavies, please do not give out incorrect advice. What @ryliem is describing is the normal behavior for new pigs, and does not warrant a vet visit unless the pig is showing signs of illness.

Here's some recommended reading for both of you:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Chances are he will eat while you aren't there. Definitely cover the cage and put the food and water near a hidie. Try to leave him be for a day or two to let him adjust, avoid trying to pick him up or interact right away. I know it's hard to be patient but it will help avoid adding more stress.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.