Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss Guinea pigs buddy

BillyD1597

Cavy Gazer
What should I do? I have two guinea pigs, now 1. My guinea pigs friend died today and I wanted to know what I could do to keep my one that I have left from getting upset. He seems to still be eating and drinking and still wants to be held and all. Should I buy him a new buddy? What should I do? He doeant seem to be upset really that his buddy died. Is that normal? He used to be in his own cage anyhow by himself when I got him. So maybe thats why he is not that upset.

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. How old is he? Sometimes when pigs are up in age owners keep them by themselves if their buddies pass away. You could consider getting him a buddy, which is what I would do. Guinea pigs are not solitary animals and they tend to do best when in a group of at least two or more. You mentioned "buying" another pig. Please keep in mind that their are many pigs near you in rescues who need homes. If you purchase a pig, you wont really have the opportunity to go through the introduction process like most rescues and adoption centers offer. And an introduction process is something that really needs to be done. I would say to look into adopting another pig. But please look into adoption before purchasing another pig.

Pigs, Just like people, all have their own personalities. That being said, each guinea pig acts a bit different when different situations occur. It isn't considered "abnormal" for your pig to not show noticeable signs of mourning, but nor would it be abnormal if it did. Just give him lots of love no matter what you do.

best of luck to you.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Give him lots of love. I'm so sorry for your loss. If he is rather young, I would introduce him to another and see how they get on. Guinea pigs may or may not show signs of mourning. Remember to do your best and adopt, don't shop! lol I'd say 5 years and under you should get him another buddy. They are best in a pair or group, and only a select few like to live alone.

Good luck!

BillyD1597

Cavy Gazer
I am so sorry for your loss. How old is he? Sometimes when pigs are up in age owners keep them by themselves if their buddies pass away. You could consider getting him a buddy, which is what I would do. Guinea pigs are not solitary animals and they tend to do best when in a group of at least two or more. You mentioned "buying" another pig. Please keep in mind that their are many pigs near you in rescues who need homes. If you purchase a pig, you wont really have the opportunity to go through the introduction process like most rescues and adoption centers offer. And an introduction process is something that really needs to be done. I would say to look into adopting another pig. But please look into adoption before purchasing another pig.

Pigs, Just like people, all have their own personalities. That being said, each guinea pig acts a bit different when different situations occur. It isn't considered "abnormal" for your pig to not show noticeable signs of mourning, but nor would it be abnormal if it did. Just give him lots of love no matter what you do.

best of luck to you.

Ok thanks, In i think he is about 3 years old. He was given to me.

BillyD1597

Cavy Gazer
Give him lots of love. I'm so sorry for your loss. If he is rather young, I would introduce him to another and see how they get on. Guinea pigs may or may not show signs of mourning. Remember to do your best and adopt, don't shop! lol I'd say 5 years and under you should get him another buddy. They are best in a pair or group, and only a select few like to live alone.

Good luck!
Ok thanks.

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
Yeah, he's still considered fairly young. I would look into a friend.

BillyD1597

Cavy Gazer
Yeah, he's still considered fairly young. I would look into a friend.

Ok thank you for your help. I will most definitely look into getting him another buddy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.