Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Piggy Transport

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
I am going to pick up my first piggy tomorrow. He is being surrendered to me by someone who has decided they don't have time to care for him anymore. I am interested in hearing how you transport your piggies. It is a fairly long drive and I don't want him to be completely traumatized by it. He has already had pretty rough time lately with his less than adequate care (in my opinion) so I want to make him as comfortable as I can on the ride home. Thanks!

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
I dont know if this is the best way, but most of the ride home from where i got my piggy (It was an hour drive home) I held her. She was very friendly from the start and loves being held. Im not sure at all if this is good or not, but it's what I did

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I put mine in a box with a towel, some fleece and a few veggies. It was about a 45 minute drive.

BedfordCavies

Cavy Slave
I used a cat carrier. I put in a couple hand towels and some hay to make it comfy for them. I wouldn't advise holding the piggy in your lap unless you have no other choice. Even a box with a couple towels for them to burrow in would be okay. Another member made a grid cube, put some coroplast and a towel in the bottom and covered it with a towel on the outside to give the piggy a feeling of safety.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I use small dog carries. I line the carrier with towels and fleece and put in hay, pellets, and a cuddle cup. I offer wet veggies and water during the trip. Depending on how long the car ride is I will shake poops and change out the towels every so often.
I've done numerous car rides with guinea pigs, the longest being 10(ish) hours to visit family.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I use a small pet carrier that has good ventilation. I line it with a towel with fleece on top. I place the carrier either on the front passenger seat (if the carrier will not be in the sun) and seat belt it in or on the floor behind the driver seat if that area will not be in the sun. I make sure the a/c won't be blowing on the carrier and that the radio isn't loud. I put some veggies in there.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Ditto pinky. It's important to secure the carrier/box in case of a sudden stop. Don't attach a water bottle, or else you will have soggy pigs. Feed lots of greens.

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
I've used a cat carrier as well.

But i have a question relating to this topic, so instead of making another topic i'll ask here.... what about transporting two pigs at once? and if they aren't bonded yet?

BedfordCavies

Cavy Slave
I've used a cat carrier as well.

But i have a question relating to this topic, so instead of making another topic i'll ask here.... what about transporting two pigs at once? and if they aren't bonded yet?

Two bonded pigs can travel together. Not bonded = 2 carriers.

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
I have 3 who travel back and forth to school with me. I have a Sherpa small dog carrier...the kind with mesh sides and zippers everywhere. They are fine in there, but it's a 10-minute drive. When I picked up 2 new pigs, I brought BOTH carriers..the big one, and my small original, and put the single pig in the small carrier, and the other two in the larger one. Those 2 weren't bonded, but they were both very young. They were fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.