Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flags Help stop this breeder!!!

Talking Cavy

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

THIS IS HORRIFYING!!!!

Last edited:

Swiss cheese

Cavy Slave
Flagged it.

Talking Cavy

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I checked the fb page and it has been broken! That is what it says!!

TandJKeim

Cavy Slave
Why is a rodent breeder horrifying?

I personally own the following as pets in my home;
1 ball python, 1 dumeril boa, 1 bearded dragon, 2 ratties, and 2 guinea pigs, the snakes gotta eat! I feed frozen thawed, but did have a snake once that would only accept live food that I bred (African Soft Furs.) Yes I understand the complications of guinea birthing but to have a well managed rodent/guinea breeder is a great thing for the reptile industry, as well as other exotics like ferrets who eat mice as well. Exotic pet owners don't go scanning your pet ads for food for their pets, people who do that would do it with or with out the reptile involved.
I also know a lady who used to eat guineas, she also loves her hasenpfeffer. But we see only the rabbit as okay for North America? - While the Guinea was originally bred as a food source.

Sorry if this offended anyone, but both sides should be seen.
Jen

rhogan

Cavy Slave
I just looked around on FB and found them. They are also calling themselves a rescue, why I have no idea because this is not what a rescue does. Rescues also don't post looking for animals BYBs do. They are listed under Indy Rodent Breeders and Rescue. I would just continue to flag their posts because and unfortunately there are many groups and people like this out there and most of the time they aren't going to listen to reason.

[MENTION=28880]TandJKeim[/MENTION] I'm pretty sure that [MENTION=28147]Talking Cavy[/MENTION] did not say every rodent breeder is horrifying just ones like this. This person is obviously a BYB because no ethical breeder who is trying to better a species will sell them marked as "pets or food". That is what is horrifying. I understand that reptiles need to be fed but there is absolutely no reason for live feeding, it is highly dangerous for both animals evolved. I personally don't own any reptiles but I know several people who do and they would never feed live. Snakes can be conditioned to frozen/thawed I know people who have done this because a previous owner didn't feel like dealing with it. Ferrets also don't need to eat mice to live, of course they can eat them, they will eat most things but it is something that is unnecessary.

TandJKeim

Cavy Slave
@rhogan

I admit that I didn't go search them out, I did not know they were trying to be a rescue as well. As you said, that is not what they do.

BYB? Sorry I'm not often on forums and unfamiliar with some aberrations.

Honestly, I went to it rather quickly in the morning, I know people who breed "food" and sometimes will save dumbo litter and give them more handling, where all their animals receive proper care and genetic care. It is the handling which makes them pets or not. My two ratties are from that sort of situation.

Live feeding is generally something I try to avoid, though time to time there are picky (ball pythons) which no matter what to remain healthy they will only take live. I have switched all others from live to frozen thawed, and encourage others to do the same due to the risks you mention. The ferret was just to try and get something non scaley in there, sorry.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I am personally not ok with live feeding! I was in a pet store with my husband and they fed a baby mouse to a monitor while I was standing there. Made me totally sick to my stomach and upset that they do this! The guy actually said they keep a breeding pair of mice for this purpose!

rhogan

Cavy Slave
@TandJKeim BYB is an acronym for Back Yard Breeder.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Why is a rodent breeder horrifying?

Sorry if this offended anyone, but both sides should be seen.
Jen

[MENTION=28880]TandJKeim[/MENTION], this is an anti-breeding forum which is why rodent breeders would be seen as horrifying.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.