Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Biting and Other Fun Stuff

Sifjada

Cavy Slave
Maybe it's because it just happened five minutes ago but I'm getting reaaaal tired of my pigs' s*%#... Somehow they've found a way to climb over the divider in their cage and jump into the other pigs' area just so they can fight. This has happened way too often and I've gotten bit twice now trying to separate them and this time it was REALLY bad... my finger is basically flayed.

So what I'm thinking of doing is putting them back in their pet store cages. They were 10x more at peace there, this bookcase cage thing is just not working out. Opinions?

...i'm just super PO'd at them right now. I think I might need stitches. ):<

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Well I hate to say it but if you reach in to grab a scared and angry pig with your bare hands you are going to get bit. Next time use a towel or something else to safely separate them without getting your self hurt. Do go see a doctor right away if the wound is that serious.

It's not fair to them to have to live in a pet store cage so if that is your choice you should probably consider rehoming them.

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Is the one just climbing over a cube divider? Why not put a piece of plexiglass (the height of a cube) as the divider? Or create a lid for the one escaping? Or even at the division make a fleece forest with a cube, like a fake top?

Sifjada

Cavy Slave
Well I hate to say it but if you reach in to grab a scared and angry pig with your bare hands you are going to get bit. Next time use a towel or something else to safely separate them without getting your self hurt. Do go see a doctor right away if the wound is that serious.

It's not fair to them to have to live in a pet store cage so if that is your choice you should probably consider rehoming them.

It was either that or let them tear each other apart, which they've both gone to the vet for. Wasn't chancing that happening again, especially since the vet is closed on the weekend. I got a tetanus shot and bandages, and some antibiotics since my finger is now swollen like twice it's size, haha

I'm not saying permanently, but right now it's either their old cages or the makeshift cage that clearly isn't working out. I'm loathe to say it, but they really did act happier in the old cages. Little wheeking and popcorning and such since they moved, and it's been over a month, whereas before it was nearly constant. Iceland has nothing in way of C&C and plexiglass and whatnot, hence the bookcase in the first place...

I'm gonna find another solution, but I think for now it's simply safer for everyone to keep them in those cages. Really, I think even yall would choose pet store cage temporarily instead of letting them basically jump at each other and fight to the death at any given hour, especially when I'm not home. They REALLY don't like each other, I guess.

Sifjada

Cavy Slave
Is the one just climbing over a cube divider? Why not put a piece of plexiglass (the height of a cube) as the divider? Or create a lid for the one escaping? Or even at the division make a fleece forest with a cube, like a fake top?

No, it's a tall bookshelf in the middle. I literally have NO idea how they do it. At first I thought they were moving their huts to the shelf and then climbing on it, but once I walked in on Hazel standing on top of the bookshelf (NO IDEA HOW HE FITS ON THERE!!) and the hut was on the opposite side of the cage... I think they have levitation powers or something, I have no clue.

aydree

Cavy Slave
Try a sterile storage bin with plenty of ventilation

WillowFields

Cavy Slave
Sterile storage bins aren't good homes for guinea pigs, even with holes drilled in it, the ventilation is poor, and the ammonia would build up much faster, please don't go that route.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.